Absolutely Anything Else

Guess be irresponsible was the main reason my sister got a divorce from her ex.
He and she tried to get me to smoke at age 12 but I am glad to say I am a person that never allows themselves to be pushed into anything until I feel ready or want to do it. I had my first "Grass" experience with a good school friend at her house as we listened to The Moody Blues. I was nearly 15. My sister and her husband gave me a "lid" of weed for my 15th BD.
I shared it with my friends as who actually likes to smoke alone, not me.
After I became a mom, I was as clean as could be. Never drank even a beer when I was with him alone.From one extreme to another. Never drank anything unless we had friends over or went out to dance.
My  ex BIL was a spoiled brat really, very handsome but rude.
He was trying to pick up my sister's BFF just outside the delivery room when my niece was born! Good thing she was a real BFF and told him where to go and told my sister.
Baked a homemade cake yesterday for my husband's birthday.
First time I ever make a cake from scratch, pies ect. but never made a actual cake before.
Takes so much sugar this might just be the end of both of us.
Have to eat it slow and the sugar spikes might just do us in.
Makes me think now of my 19th birthday in Ca.
My BFF, Lisa who is still my old buddy came to my apt. to visit on my birthday.
My parents lived only 30 miles away but it was ok for them not to come over, I never make a big thing out of bd's.
Anywasy I decided to bake a cake from one of the Betty Crocker mixes and lite us the gas in my oven.
Put the cake in the oven and in the next room we enjoyed a bit of weed.
Laughing, talking forgot about the cake.
Went to check it and noticed the pilot light went out.
I was so spaced out that I just lite another match....
I have more then one guardian angle...The noise from the oven was scary, a huge banging sound, had my eyebrows burnt off and my bangs, fringe was burnt too. Thank God I didn't try to light the oven 5 mins later...The building would of exploded.
We laughed after our hearts stopped racing.

Noticed  a couple of new businesses here in Budapest.
One is a beer and ax throwing bar... Can't imagine anything going wrong there!
Another is a Hawaiian Poke bar... Mostly just a side dish in Hawaii of raw tuna, looks like salsa but tastes like fish.
Hate to say it but I don't think either place will be here after say one year if not less.
The Poke bar might be inresting one time for some people but unless your sitting with a beach view it really isn't as good as they make it out to be.
I took a portion of poke at night at a Hawaiian wedding in Hilo. Thought it was some salsa at first in the dark, yuck, almost lost it when I tasted the smelly raw fish flavor, just mentaly wasn't ready for it.
This place offers breakfast of granola and toast, not Hawaiian at all, they eat Loco Moco for breakfast or spam and eggs, with sausage, smothered in heavy gravy.
The ax throwing with drinking, well I hope they have a doctor in the house!
I cut this guys hair in the salon once and before we started he warned me, he had a scar running from his forehead to the back of his neck right down the middle of his head.
He said as a teen he went o a house party and started to chat up some girl. Her boyfriend went outside and came back with an ax, he just swung it into this guys head. He went to hospital with the ax still in his skull.lucky to be able to tell his tale.
I have thought of new businesses many times but stop myself before actually go as far as to invest in a loser.
At first I was a bit excited to see Hawaiin food here., the thought of 2 scoops of rice and some mac salad with chicken katsu was tempting. No, this place is more like a flash in the pan, not real Hawaiin food at all.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Noticed  a couple of new businesses here in Budapest.
One is a beer and ax throwing bar... Can't imagine anything going wrong there!
Another is a Hawaiian Poke bar... Mostly just a side dish in Hawaii of raw tuna, looks like salsa but tastes like fish.
Hate to say it but I don't think either place will be here after say one year if not less.
The Poke bar might be interesting one time for some people but unless your sitting with a beach view it really isn't as good as they make it out to be.
.... He went to hospital with the ax still in his skull.lucky to be able to tell his tale.
I have thought of new businesses many times but stop myself before actually go as far as to invest in a loser.
At first I was a bit excited to see Hawaiian food here., the thought of 2 scoops of rice and some mac salad with chicken katsu was tempting. No, this place is more like a flash in the pan, not real Hawaiin food at all.

Had Poke for the first time a few weeks ago and I shall never have it again. Poke is diabolical stuff. It's just another form of that abomination called sushi.  I don't know how anyone can eat that stuff and worse, promote it as being any good.  I don't really rate Hawaiian food - no offence to them, I suppose they were working with what they had to hand. 

Eating raw fish is just asking for trouble and a way to get liver flukes (OK, mainly freshwater, but pfff....anyway). 

Axe (US: Ax) throwing bar - yup, that's almost like drunks or idiots with guns!  Maybe your hairdressing client was trying for a special type of parting.   There's a exploitation backlash against dwarf throwing but I wouldn't put it past someone trying to get that going as well but probably best not to mix with axes.

Land dispute update:

Looks like we have success - we'll get back our land back from the neighbour.  We've now got fluorescent markers/pegs in the ground which will allow us to demolish the old fence and build a new one.  We have papers which allow us to move forward - our lawyer was there during the surveying and says we're good to go!  The neighbours did not have to sign, their permission is no longer required - straight from our lawyer who was standing there observing.

It's only taken about 4 years! :(

Special parting... too funny!
Yes, Hawaiian food is seriously not for eveyone.
Most of it isn't really that great to me but my husband who was buddies with a local surfing "gang' on Maui in the mid 70's was lucky enough to eat with them many times after they caught some fresh fish and did their thing with it.
I have also had poke and other Hawaiian foods but they must be fresh to enjoy, like not older then one hour out of the sea.
In Hawaii they serve a mix of many different culters in one meal,Local, Japanese, Chinese,Pillippino, Portuguse and even a touch of Spanish in one meal.It is tastey if done right,
I can't eat Poi but my husband actually likes it.
Suppose to be really good for small children and toddlers to eat poi, loaded with vitamins.
I knew 2 "drawfs" in Las Vegas , each went to 2 different health clubs where I was a member.
I wanted to "hook them up" as one was female and one male and both really sweethearts but thought it wouldn't be exactly PC for me to get that personal with them.
maybe I made a mistake by not introducing them to each other?
Not sure.
Have to say the guy was really a lovely person and had a great job in a medical lab making bank. He was in my yoga class for a few years time and was really a great guy.
The lady was pretty and nice also, I am slightly upset at myself for not going on a limb and inviting one of them to my other gym. I had gym memberships at 2 different gyms plus I sometimes went to private yoga studios. I now at my age, being older and a bit wiser may of hooked them up, if they got upset with me then so be it.You never know, the short guy may only be into women over 6 feet tall for all I know1
I met some of the coolest people at all these gyms,
There was a time when my only friends were "gym people".
My husband used to rag on me saying the gym should pay me for my time there.
Oh well, these days I workout at home and slack when I do not feel like "feeling the burn".

fluffy2560 wrote:

Land dispute update:

Looks like we have success - we'll get back our land back from the neighbour.  We've now got fluorescent markers/pegs in the ground which will allow us to demolish the old fence and build a new one.  We have papers which allow us to move forward - our lawyer was there during the surveying and says we're good to go!  The neighbours did not have to sign, their permission is no longer required - straight from our lawyer who was standing there observing.

Fantastic!!! Bring out the bubbly!!!
Those dumb as* neighbors should now realize what a waste of time, energy and money they are!
Justice served even if it took 4 long years!!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Fantastic!!! Bring out the bubbly!!!
Those dumb as* neighbors should now realize what a waste of time, energy and money they are!
Justice served even if it took 4 long years!!

It's looking good  but I am trying to temper my optimism. 

We need someone to act quickly to put in the posts etc. We're going for the quickest "kit" solution to make sure our rights are enforced as soon as possible.  We've lined up a fencing guy who will come around to measure up - he wasn't able to do it before as the paper work wasn't right.   

They'll have to come with a skip (konténer) to take the old fence and some garbage the guy has piled up next to it.

Perhaps the garbage is there deliberately - there's even an old wheelchair there and what looks like a large cast iron mining wagon container - who knows why.  Might be useful for industrial chic - we could use it as a planter.  Or we dump on their side of the "border" and that's their problem.

Unfortunately there's a walnut tree which will be on our side and unfortunately, it's got a death sentence because it's in the wrong place.   Shame about it as I really do not like killing trees.

I suppose you could replant a new tree to replace the sick one?
Yes, better move fast, people seem to have short memories at times and they may start some new BS over something else.
We had an old wooden fence around one side of our home in Ca. the other 2 sides had nice brick walls.
We , in fact I did most of it because I wasn't working a "real job" took the wood fence down by hand, tied it up into bundles and the city garbage man took it away with the regular trash.
We had a contractor come out with a crew and put in a nice new brick wall, was done in about 3 days time with a new wooden gate.
Can be done fast if the right people do the job.
We also half way removed most of the back brick wall and reinforced it with iron rods for earthquakes, my husband's step-bro did that job, we also made the wall about one foot higher for more privacy.
Our neighbor some young Arab guy was OK with us doing it, we paid for the entire job and it also improved his property. In fact he was the person who bought our house when we sold it. He knew how much work we had put into our house and he knew a good deal.
Yesterday on my husband's BD he almost got his wish! I almost never came home again!!
Just kidding... As I walked across the st. to buy some bubbly and items a young group of "dudes" in an old Mercedes made a fast U turn in the middle of the st. as I was crossing it!!
All well, we exchanged dirty looks with each other and I walked on...
I swear if I go out early it is going to be by some idiot either hitting me with their car, some dumb ass sidewalk bike rider or a scooter rider with headphones on.
What a dumb way to go down though!
Not to be flip but this is how my son's ex- girlfriend lost her grandmother.
She was in her late 70's or early 80's and left her husband watching tv as she ran out to the shop for a few items. A car hit her in the crosswalk. This was in Japan.
Her husband later said he hear the ambulance but never thought it was for his wife.
She didn't make it.
No offense to Hungary's emergency services but I wouldn't want to lay in the ground with 5 different trash bags over my dead body that were held together with duct tape. like the body I saw in the road here a few years back.
Poor guy ran in traffic on purpose, he was from Turkey and lost all hope here.
I am not depressed but accidents happen even to the happiest of people.
-

fluffy2560 wrote:

Land dispute update:

I am happy for you.  :top:

fluffy2560 wrote:

In the USA one could sue for more cash than just court and legal costs, such as pain and suffering for the neighbor being unreasonable and the government being incompetent. But not here. So, in some ways, the unreasonable neighbor and the incompetence of government still wins in so many ways.  :(

fluffy2560 wrote:

Perhaps the garbage is there deliberately

Why not just shove his garbage back onto his property? After all, taking it away may be "theft".... That would be my argument. :)

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Why not just shove his garbage back onto his property? After all, taking it away may be "theft".... That would be my argument. :)

I was thinking the same thing, This neighbor from hell might say you stole his junk.
I really have had enough of  rude neighbors.
Sorry to say but I asked my husband if he knew any Hungarians that weren't actual POS.
OK< there are a few but too far and few to remember.
Gosh at times I understand why some cultures seem to always be on the wrong side of peace and justice for the world, A few come to mind and Hu is on that list.
Dang, I am being rude myself right now but considering how many chances I've given people here I am being more then kind to just say many are rude.
Family here comes to mind first, dang they really are not going to be in my will, wouldn't even leave them a lousy dollar.
Don't mind me, maybe the change of weather has made me nuts...
We are sort of talking about Hawaii, seems really perfect there right about now.
I just have to get used to saying, "welcome Walmart Shoppers" because the only thing keeping us from moving there is not wishing to work until we drop dead.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing, This neighbor from hell might say you stole his junk.
I really have had enough of  rude neighbors.
Sorry to say but I asked my husband if he knew any Hungarians that weren't actual POS.
OK< there are a few but too far and few to remember.
Gosh at times I understand why some cultures seem to always be on the wrong side of peace and justice for the world, A few come to mind and Hu is on that list.

I mentioned it because I have had rude neighbors. Who dumped garbage on my properties. I use to just shrug and take it away, then they dumped more. Then I started to just toss it back. They got the hint and stopped. Sadly, people here will push you till you personally push back. And getting a legal writ does not count to them, as that is getting someone else to act for you. In fact, it makes them worse neighbors. You have to personally pee in your corners. Mano a mano (https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction … 20a%20mano). That is all they understand. It is a personal thing. Sad. Very sad. But simply respecting neighbors is not the normal world view by too many here. For those, it is a power game, and you can not show personal weakness. And so you have to play it. Or forever haul away their garbage.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Well, could be argued he dumped it on my land as it's within ourrevised/corrected boundary so we could pick and choose but on balance, he can have it back!  What would I do with a rusted up old wheel chair?   He can also keep the pile of rubble.

As mentioned, I have designs on the cast iron mining bucket but if he sees what's been done to it to make a garden ornament/shabby/industrial chic flower pot, he could start arguing about it.

He's a big chubby bloke so I don't think he's seen his feet and other items for ages, never mind what's over the fence in the boundary jungle. Probably past his memory retention capability.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I have designs on the cast iron mining bucket but if he sees what's been done to it to make a garden ornament/shabby/industrial chic flower pot, he could start arguing about it.

So ain't worth it. And may be a trap or bait. Toss it back on his property and move on.  :D

klsallee wrote:

fluffy2560 wrote:

In the USA one could sue for more cash than just court and legal costs, such as pain and suffering for the neighbor being unreasonable and the government being incompetent. But not here. So, in some ways, the unreasonable neighbor and the incompetence of government still wins in so many ways.  :(

It's cost money and a lot of time plus chewed on our nerves for years.   We'd never get any money from the guy and it'll drag out for even longer.  He's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. 

His argument was that we're taking land from him but of course, it was never his in the first place.  Morever, it just brings the reality of the boundaries into agreement with the Land Registry office.  No-one lost anything.   

He also argued he had to discuss with his other neighbours their other common boundaries - but obviously that's up to him, not us! 

Partially it's just ignorance, partial stubbornness and partially just not being clear on the concerns he had.  But it took our lawyer and our surveyor to tell him that he was not losing anything according to his land book entry.   

There's another storm brewing - his plot is double sized and he's hinting he'll probably want to build a house in his garden.  More arguments to come!  Hopefully we can try and get in there and buy the land directly before he sells it to a builder.  We might get informed by the local government.  It would be over development if he tried to do it. 

We did offer to buy another X metres from him but he didn't  seem to understand.

fluffy2560 wrote:

His argument was that we're taking land from him but of course, it was never his in the first place.  Morever, it just brings the reality of the boundaries into agreement with the Land Registry office.  No-one lost anything.

No one? Seems to me you lost four years of the use of your land.

Been there. Done that. Also had a four year legal battle. The next time it happened, I just literally had moved the fence the neighbor built on my land based on my paid survey, and waited for any legal complaint they may have made. They never said anything.

It is Hungary. Not the USA or the UK. Just saying you may be doing it the hard way here.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

No one? Seems to me you lost four years of the use of your land.

Been there. Done that. Also had a four year legal battle. The next time it happened, I just literally had moved the fence the neighbor built on my land based on my paid survey, and waited for any legal complaint they may have made. They never said anything.

It is Hungary. Not the USA or the UK. Just saying you may be doing it the hard way here.

Sure is Hungary.  Wouldn't have happened elsewhere in quite the same way.

After a lot of discussion between us, we decided we should only go one way. There's a little bit more to things than I have said - mainly to do with who our neighbours are, who they know (they might be "connected") and the chances of not very nice things happening if we moved it unilaterally.   It was better to do things properly and keep things "clean" on our side and be as friendly and patient as possible. 

During the discussions, the neighbour already tried to say our house was in the wrong place and not built correctly - ridiculous because we had every permit, permission and certificate every step of the way.   I am sure he's gearing up to argue about my outbuilding already.  Not that he'll get anywhere - we already took care of all the building permissions when we built the house.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I suppose you could replant a new tree to replace the sick one?
Yes, better move fast, people seem to have short memories at times and they may start some new BS over something else.
No offense to Hungary's emergency services but I wouldn't want to lay in the ground with 5 different trash bags over my dead body that were held together with duct tape. like the body I saw in the road here a few years back.
Poor guy ran in traffic on purpose, he was from Turkey and lost all hope here.
I am not depressed but accidents happen even to the happiest of people.
-

The nut tree will be redone as will all the landscaping.   The fence is - as far as we're concerned - an emergency (yes, the BS may start when the reality bites).  Anything in the way will just have to go in the skip  (HU:konténer).  The current fence has a concrete base, angle iron metal upright posts, mesh fence and oddly, barbed wire at the top like a security fence.  So they'll have to use a digger/backhoe to get it all out while dodging the services underneath (gas, sewerage).   We have a lot of leftover garbage in our garden from the previous owner -  he was a hoarder and collected all sorts of junk.    We already had about 6-7 skips perhaps to remove stuff but now there will be another one or even two.   We're also going to have to have some topsoil delivered - we're on a slight incline and we need to level it out.

We've seen several RTA (Road Traffic Accident) bodies here in Hungary. I saw one in the middle of the road near West End shopping centre - the infamous plastic bags and a solitary cop maintaining watch. Presumably waiting for someone to collect the person.    We also saw another one in Sopron - we saw just a leg with an industrial boot and overalls sticking out. There was a mangled bicycle at the side of the road and a large dump truck to one side. When we arrived on the scene, they were just getting a metal coffin out of a truck.  We were not happy - clearly the guy was on the way home perhaps for lunch, never to arrive.   Dreadful to get that knock on the door.

Dang dude... now I want to cry...
Yes, it is very upsetting for a ,"normal;" human to see one of our own hurt or in danger.
Even seeing an animal hurt turns me inside out. I'm a bit of an empath and things sometimes get to me really bad.

I remember driving to New Mexico in some rural area and noticing the remains of a Doberman and another large breed dog on the road, I about lost it.
had n old BF come to pick me up on a date who told me on his way over he saw a leg on the 101 highway in S. Ca.
I worked in Vegas with a nice young man , about the same age as my son who was a darling guy, was working to help his mom out.
He told me his knee often killed him because it had been mangled in an accident.
He and his lady had seen a car break down in S. Ca. and they pulled over to help them out.
His lady was hit by a car and killed on the spot while he was slightly hurt with his leg mangled up. Wow, my heart was bleeding when I heard that news...
i didn't get to finish my story about our upstairs neighbors who I was ragging on about.
I do not know what on earth is going on here but our top floor friends see it all and tell us what's up.
She said the guy above us is a gay HU officer in the HU military and used his actual niece as his so called, "beard" he lied and said his nephew was moving in with him, no it was his younger boy toy.
I could really give a hoot as long as they do not involve me with their lifestyle , as long as no children or animals are in the "fun  and games'!
people here in Hungary are just as crazy insane as in any other country, maybe even more so!
Was a really lovley day outside, had a walk about and then we drove over to Tesco in Arena Plaza. Lately it is very quiet inside there for the most part.
They have re arranged many shelves and some are bare... Wonder if they may go out of business there soon?
Hope not but never know.
Their bakery is closed, they moved the deli to the raw meat dept. and they have run out of several items I usually buy like whole grain oats.
Their prices are a bit higher then they used to be as well on many items with just a very few deals.
Not sure what to think about that unless it is a sign to stock up on dry goods...

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Dang dude... now I want to cry...
Yes, it is very upsetting for a ,"normal;" human to see one of our own hurt or in danger.
Even seeing an animal hurt turns me inside out. I'm a bit of an empath and things sometimes get to me really bad.

She said the guy above us is a gay HU officer in the HU military and used his actual niece as his so called, "beard" he lied and said his nephew was moving in with him, no it was his younger boy toy.
I could really give a hoot as long as they do not involve me with their lifestyle , as long as no children or animals are in the "fun  and games'!
people here in Hungary are just as crazy insane as in any other country, maybe even more so!
Was a really lovley day outside, had a walk about and then we drove over to Tesco in Arena Plaza. Lately it is very quiet inside there for the most part.
They have re arranged many shelves and some are bare... Wonder if they may go out of business there soon?
Hope not but never know.
Their bakery is closed, they moved the deli to the raw meat dept. and they have run out of several items I usually buy like whole grain oats.
Their prices are a bit higher then they used to be as well on many items with just a very few deals.
Not sure what to think about that unless it is a sign to stock up on dry goods...

I guess enough with the dead people.

I first heard the term beard in relation to some star or other - might have been Rock Hudson.   Obviously not up on the terminology.  But there's no reason to suspect the gay officer is interested in anything but his BF.  But that's a problem - people are stupid - they think being gay is the same as being a paedo or that paediatricians are child molesters and not doctors for children.  It's the same sort of craziness as some nut with a gun killing a guy because he was wearing a turban (i.e. Sikh) because he thought he was a Muslim.  That goes also to the Orban vagy Turban slogan - ignorance is not bliss, it's plain stupidity.  But that's one of those sayings - better to be thought a fool than open one's mouth and prove it.  Well, nuff said.

We were out walking the dog just now - surprising it's so cold now in the evenings. It's dropped below 10 C now according to my outside thermometer. I was out swapping a part on the car and it was about 20 C in the sun.   Car runs pretty good now too!  Must be the sunlight.

Tesco might close a store but they won't be going out of business anytime soon. It's an enormous company with thousands of stores, nearly 500K employees and turnover of billions. They are everywhere in the UK - .  The problem is that they don't really have what one wants - the basics you get at Aldi or Lidl, fancier goods you can get at Auchan.  We now go there and not Tesco because they have better choice especially the store in Budaors.   Tesco will have to reinvent itself but it has easily the capability to do that.

fluffy2560 wrote:

After a lot of discussion between us, we decided we should only go one way. There's a little bit more to things than I have said - mainly to do with who our neighbours are, who they know (they might be "connected") and the chances of not very nice things happening if we moved it unilaterally.   It was better to do things properly and keep things "clean" on our side and be as friendly and patient as possible.

Understand. I also try to be golden and right with the rules*. Despite everyone around me not doing so.

*If I can find the darn rules that is. So much here is obfuscated, hidden, cryptic and muddled. It seems specifically so to make one "beholding" to some else in one way or another, else to draw one into being "dirty" as they are. Kinda sad.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Understand. I also try to be golden and right with the rules*. Despite everyone around me not doing so.

*If I can find the darn rules that is. So much here is obfuscated, hidden, cryptic and muddled. It seems specifically so to make one "beholding" to some else in one way or another, else to draw one into being "dirty" as they are. Kinda sad.

Indeed.  It's strange how they seem to get away with it and the punishment not very severe either, if at all.  But that's one of those Eastern European things - it's the law as it's written plus or minus a bit. It might be to do with communism - everyone was just trying to survive overall even though some were clear enforcers and active supporters.

Mrs Fluffy told me that when she was a kid, there was a guy in the countryside  who murdered his wife, chopped her up and hid her in the roof space for a couple of years.  Said she'd run away with another man.  When they finally found her, and he was convicted, he got 10 years.  I suppose he was out in 5-7 on parole.  Not much really.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Mrs Fluffy told me that when she was a kid, there was a guy in the countryside  who murdered his wife, chopped her up and hid her in the roof space for a couple of years.  Said she'd run away with another man.  When they finally found her, and he was convicted, he got 10 years.  I suppose he was out in 5-7 on parole.  Not much really.

Not too surprising when one realizes the The Angel Makers of Nagyrév were also Hungarian..... And despite an estimated 300 murdered, most of those convicted only got, in reality, prison sentences.

The entire incident is.... shocking. Little it seems has changed.... Welcome to the 21st 14th century. :o

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Not too surprising when one realizes the The Angel Makers of Nagyrév were also Hungarian..... And despite an estimated 300 murdered, most of those convicted only got, in reality, prison sentences.

The entire incident is.... shocking. Little it seems has changed.... Welcome to the 21st 14th century. :o

Almost mass hysteria in Nagyrév.  Or perhaps the work of Beelzebub.

The sentences passed in Hungary seem to be almost slaps on the wrist.

Our old next door neighbors were very "well connected" as in the HU mob, sort of miss them because the guy kept order in the house.
You know what they say," Don't take a dump where you live"or words to that effect!!
We thought for a second of suing the A-H*** upstairs because we are sure he had the common soundproving  removed when he redid his flat. He put in tiles and mostly it is quiet but when they get on a roll, it is very  disruptive.
Have 5 years to sue in HU for such issues, this summer will be year 5.
My husband said to forget it, easier to move out then sue some officer in the HU military as he must know how to pull a few strings. A-Ho**!
All good, I am where I need to be for now for some reason... Fate of fantasy, who knows?>>>
Any ways, I have not seen my GP for ever, went in just because my husband had to for his new driving paperwork.
Got all the lab tests and EKG, seems I will be sticking around a bit longer!
Mentioned my shoulder issue which isn't too bad now but still there.
The GP told us to go near our flat to the medical center where I got the run around 2 years ago.
Went to her guy  and had an x-ray once again.
Was told to go into he office this morning, waiting for almost 2 hours to get our turn. Almost asked my card back and was going to forget the whole thing.
Interesting to see the cast of characters s in the waiting room.Everyone was waiting their turn and wala, some old couple comes in t=with a doc in tow who could of doubled as Groucho Marxx minus the cigar... They  jumped the line. I booded them as did my husband, he also said in HU to everyone in the waiting area that the last is first or words to that effect. Everyone looked gratful that he said something but no one else said a word. When the couple finally left the office my husband and I booded them again! OK< we are trouble makers!! I do not mind waiting my turn, nothing makes me madder then a person that jumps the line.
Doc looked at my old reports, MRI and new X-ray, Bam.. having surgery this very Friday!!! Not a big deal for him! WTF was with my other surgery and them telling me I needed a shoulder replacement? Wish me luck because honestly I am confused!
After my doc said he could fix me up I shook his hand and then processed to kiss him on each cheek! I'm a bit over excited. His face got all red! He is an older chubby guy and seems to know what he is doing.
Who knows once I get in their clutches I may never be heard from again!!

Busy day and long day ahead. Meeting up with a couple of friends. One at 4pm then next at 7pm in Vienna.

SimCityAT wrote:

Busy day and long day ahead. Meeting up with a couple of friends. One at 4pm then next at 7pm in Vienna.

Lucky you, have fun. All my BFF's are in the states....Not sure why no one really wishes to travel here to HU to visit me. Maybe one of these days....
My cousin and his wife who is a lovley Thai lady came to Budapest last summer and the summer beforehand out of the blue. Both times they were on their way to Italy , N. Italy where my cousin's dad was born to visit family there. At least he spent 3 or 4 days here with me, it was really nice, hadn't seen him since I was 4 years old! Very strange to see yourself in a stranger.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Lucky you, have fun. All my BFF's are in the states....Not sure why no one really wishes to travel here to HU to visit me. Maybe one of these days....

We have relatives who never seem to want to come to Budapest (a lot have been before) and others who want to come all the time.

Maybe we should start washing ourselves more than once a year ;)

I loved seeing my cousin and his wife but honestly it was exhausting to run around in the heat for days.
Wasn't enough time to show them all HU has to offer and felt like we were rushing around here and there.
3-4 days is just not enough time.
My cousin and his wife are really well traveled, they come to Europe serval times a year and always go back to Thailand to visit her family.
They also do big black tie events in Conn. as my cosuin is still ivolved in military veteran affairs, fund raisers and BBQ's for vets.
Had no idea my male cousins were so gun ho with the military but most all on my father's side were in Vietnam and still have old friends from those days.
It would actually cost a small fortune if family visited us too often.
Hate to say it but my cousin had a simple habit of a few beers in his hotel and in restaurants, must of been spending well over $100. a day just in the hotel bar.
I'd be in the poor house if we went out with them all the time.
He invited us to many tourist spots in the castle district to eat and drink but my husband refused to allow him to get ripped off, we took him to more HU spots and even then it wasn't very cheap.
Went to the spa for just 3 hours, nearly $100. for those hours with entry for 3 and drinks.
When we had a family reuinon in Vegas my bro and his wife seemed to always pick up the tab. My husband again refused to go with, he will pay his own way or not go. Not like he never took a invite but he hates to do it. It's sometimes uncomfortable because he tells people to come back over or pick him up after we are done eating out. In the old days when he had a good job we often treated everyone to meals out so I think his ego gets a bit hurt that he can't afforrd or will not wish to afford to pay for a so-so meal. Guess that's the down side of having a large family.
My bro must of spent up to $800. for one meal with all of us together!
No wonder he hardly contacts family!
8 people plus tips.
Well once my husband and I paid to take everyone out to a buffet, we had,"points" so most of it was covered by the casino.
We always treat people to dinner in Vegas if they take the trouble to visit us there.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

.....My husband again refused to go with, he will pay his own way or not go. Not like he never took a invite but he hates to do it. It's sometimes uncomfortable because he tells people to come back over or pick him up after we are done eating out. In the old days when he had a good job we often treated everyone to meals out so I think his ego gets a bit hurt that he can't afforrd or will not wish to afford to pay for a so-so meal. Guess that's the down side of having a large family.
My bro must of spent up to $800. for one meal with all of us together!
No wonder he hardly contacts family!
8 people plus tips.
Well once my husband and I paid to take everyone out to a buffet, we had,"points" so most of it was covered by the casino.
We always treat people to dinner in Vegas if they take the trouble to visit us there.

I'm a bit with your hubby on that but it's the social occasion that it's supposedly all about.

I think that hits upon the issue that restaurants are becoming quite expensive in Budapest and the quality is not that great or the places that special any more.   I must have eaten out perhaps many hundreds or more probably in the thousands of times in my life and I can count on one hand memorable or outstanding dinners or lunches that I can really remember.   They all blur into the same sort of experience.

I think these days - what with health concerns and increasing prices - people seem not to be eating out as much unless they are tourists.   I think possibly it'll be a crisis and many restaurants may close.   I am noticing more kebab shops in Budapest though!

You really couldn't make this s#%t up 😂

2 stories to amuse yourselves..

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/ … ding-site/

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/ … -movement/

SimCityAT wrote:

You really couldn't make this s#%t up 😂

2 stories to amuse yourselves..

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/ … ding-site/

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/ … -movement/

Typical weird reasons to leave the EU!  I'm going to post on the Brexit implications thread.

fluffy2560 wrote:

* BTW, I think yesterday's results from the local government elections, especially in Budapest, will bring some moderation to the ridiculous  slagging off of immigrants or indeed non-native residents.  There's enough of that going on with Brexit.

I doubt it. Because, as said:

SimCityAT wrote:

We are talking about the whole of Hungary not just Budapest!

Little towns and villages add up. And they are definitely not liberal. That is, the same issue with Brexit, or why it did not matter if Hillary won CA or NY. Or being shocked by yellow vest protests. Ignoring the rust belt, or all the little towns and villages is stupid. Because the people there vote. Often in higher percentages than city hipsters. And liberals, sorry to say, do tend to be kind or stupid about this. And I am a bit of a dinosaur -- a moderate -- but tend to more liberal leaning. So it pains me how stupid liberals can really be when they should know better. Just saying....

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

* BTW, I think yesterday's results from the local government elections, especially in Budapest, will bring some moderation to the ridiculous  slagging off of immigrants or indeed non-native residents.  There's enough of that going on with Brexit.

I doubt it. Because, as said:

SimCityAT wrote:

We are talking about the whole of Hungary not just Budapest!

Little towns and villages add up. And they are definitely not liberal. That is, the same issue with Brexit, or why it did not matter if Hillary won CA or NY. Ignoring the rust belt, or all the little towns and villages is stupid. Because the people there vote. Often in higher percentages than city hipsters. And liberals, sorry to say, do tend to be kind or stupid about this. And I am a bit of a dinosaur -- a moderate -- but tend to more liberal leaning. So it pains me how stupid liberals can really be when they should know better. Just saying....

Ok, we all (should) know there's more depth to it (and topically some statistics backing it up).   

BUD contributes more than 30% of the economy so control is really important.  The gap was 6% between winner and loser.  So not too bad and some room for optimism. 

Obviously OV has strong support out in the countryside and a whopping majority so not so much will be changing in the short term.  Urban areas will no doubt vote for the opposition parties. But it does show if the opposition works together, there's a chance. 

They sometimes say controlling the capital is a stepping stone to national control.   I'm thinking of specifically the recent Turkish elections.

But here in HU, obviously not all one's Christmases are expected at once.

klsallee wrote:

Little towns and villages add up. And they are definitely not liberal.

The left just joined forces with the extreme right. Those smudges of red on the election maps doesnt mean they are "liberal". They can be equally xenophobic too, since Jobbik is the larges opposition party...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/18/Hungarian_Opinion_Polling%2C_30_Day_Moving_Average%2C_2014-2018.png/1000px-Hungarian_Opinion_Polling%2C_30_Day_Moving_Average%2C_2014-2018.png

fluffy2560 wrote:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=601668&p=119#4707109

Point taken, but not entirely as I was replying to poster:

rawlee wrote:

This whole argument is just a joke. Immigrants arguing what hungarians eat. And none are correct

Well, sorry, but even if rich people would like to distance themselves from the poor masses by calling themselves expat instead of immigrant, anybody who moves to an other country is an immigrant. I am not going to pretend there is a difference. If you have to deal with the "Bevándorlási Hivatal" in any form, you are an immigrant. If you find the expression offensive, that is your problem, not mine, this is the english word for it.

Rawlee wrote:

Well, sorry, but even if rich people would like to distance themselves from the poor masses by calling themselves expat instead of immigrant, anybody who moves to an other country is an immigrant. I am not going to pretend there is a difference. If you have to deal with the "Bevándorlási Hivatal" in any form, you are an immigrant. If you find the expression offensive, that is your problem, not mine, this is the english word for it.

Well, sorry, but there are actually definitions for each group (expat, immigrant, migrant).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expatriate

Some expats are are indeed maybe immigrants. I have lived here 12 years. I am probably then an immigrant. But I am still, absolutely also an expat. As expat is a more "generic" term.  So immigrants may be expats, but not all expats are immigrants. :)

IMHO - if you have a problem with those legitimate English definitions, that is your (English language) problem, not mine (nor the problem of other expats/immigrants/migrants). :D

Rawlee .. Seriously... You claim to be only a Hungarian citizen at your profile page. So I can but assume English is not your native language. Don't try to educate native English speakers about English. That is as insulting as it would be for me trying to educate you about Hungarian.... :)

Rawlee wrote:

Well, sorry, but even if rich people would like to distance themselves from the poor masses by calling themselves expat instead of immigrant, anybody who moves to an other country is an immigrant. I am not going to pretend there is a difference. If you have to deal with the "Bevándorlási Hivatal" in any form, you are an immigrant. If you find the expression offensive, that is your problem, not mine, this is the English word for it.

Tut-tut.  Pot and kettle there.  Why are you even here contributing if you view us all as contemptible interlopers? 

Some of us here in these forums are EU citizens. Hungary signed up to the EU treaties the same as the other EU states.   

We're not immigrants labelled (at least in Hungary) with negative connotations, we're exercising our treaty rights and that means mostly equality to Hungarians - the only thing we cannot do is vote in national elections and maybe serve in the military.  But everything else is the same for HU and EU citizens.  I could even have voted in my local elections but I wasn't here - I have my voting letter for that.    If Hungary doesn't want to be in the EU any more, it can hold a referendum and leave like other countries.   

Then your definition of "immigrant" will work and be a one size that fits all.

fluffy2560 wrote:

We're not immigrants labelled (at least in Hungary) with negative connotations, we're exercising our treaty rights

Yes. Exactly.

And if I am not mistaken (may take a little Internet research to prove it) but was that not basically the same argument that Orban used as why Hungarians living abroad in the EU as not being "immigrants" (especially in the UK) and living off the UK social system as "immigrants"? (one of the false "anti-immigrant" propaganda points of the "leave" campaign) ;)

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

We're not immigrants labelled (at least in Hungary) with negative connotations, we're exercising our treaty rights

Yes. Exactly.

And if I am not mistaken (may take a little Internet research to prove it) but was that not basically the same argument that Orban used as why Hungarians living abroad in the EU as not being "immigrants" (especially in the UK) and living off the UK social system as "immigrants"? (one of the false "anti-immigrant" propaganda points of the "leave" campaign) ;)

Might have been the same arguments - be interested in a link if you know of one.  I was going to bring up the comparison but thought it a waste of time with the OP.

It did occur to me to say that we (in the UK) don't even call EU citizens "immigrants".  We just say they are French, Polish, Hungarian or whatever.  It's just accepted (by anyone reasonable) that they are just there. 

Older voters complain but I don't know who or what they are complaining about - the UK has always been full of people from many other countries.  One or two generations and no-one knows where anyone comes from.

If an older person is cared for by the social services, they are often looked after by people from other countries as they are considered "cheap".    It's just normal.  What these older people normally mean is, "I don't mean you - my carer - to go back home, I mean all the freeloaders".  But who's a freeloader?  No-one knows or if they do know anyone, it's very few people  indeed. 

Immigrants are usually thought to be refugees and in the hierarchy of naming, expats are the ones on company postings.  I suppose I might become an immigrant at Brexit or maybe I'll just be an expat. Hard to say really having been involved here so long.  I am concerned about hassle at the borders but not overly so as maybe the transitional arrangements will be in operation.

Anyway, Brexit might be delayed until Jan 31, 2020 or even March 31, 2020.  That's "to give time" for negotiations over the break up of the UK (that's not a typo!).

fluffy2560 wrote:

It did occur to me to say that we (in the UK) don't even call EU citizens "immigrants".  We just say they are French, Polish, Hungarian or whatever.  It's just accepted (by anyone reasonable) that they are just there.

You are kind. 

History, and even some so called historically enlightened people, have not always been so kind:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 … acism.htmlhttps://www.dialoginternational.com/dia … ecab38970d