Absolutely Anything Else

I just read the latest posts on receiving mail and packages in Hungary.
I don't feel so "isolated" now.
Seems everyone has their own hassles with the "systems".
We just do not bother ordering online unless it is within Hungary.
Still a bit "fumed" about the way they clearly are against anyone who isn't Hungarians as far as any sort of breaks, in fact it does seem "they" go out of they way to make things harder if your not "in the club" so to speak.
My husband speaks perfect Hungarian and understands every word unless the person is from a region where they don't even speak proper Hungarian.
He is treated normal until he speaks English to me so at that point 9 times out of 10 the situation changes.
All of a sudden they do not have the part in stock any longer, they mis quoted us the price, it is more then first stated,they are booked now etc.
It really makes his blood boil because he was excepted in the US and treated fairly well all the time so it is embarrassing for him to tell me how great Hungary is when I have my own set of eyes and ears.
I do however sometimes get tired of going out and not being allowed to speak or say anything because we don't want to have issues.
Buying even food at markets we have to double check the weight against the price etc. If you speak another language other then HU then watch out.
That being said, I am pondering why I do not leave.
No one likes being treated badly or different for long.
I have to be honest and say I really only enjoy the place about 6 months out of the year overall and of course I think we all enjoy the so called" cheap prices".
That can be deceiving though.
What starts out at a reasonable prices often turns into something else when all is said and done.
I think what really bothers me is the lack of most to do their jobs as professionals without trying to work a side deal or some sort.
I dislike any situation were I feel I am being used, abused or lied to.
It is generally standard practice in HU for even people who are usually held in trust to deceive you, doctors and dentists people who can actually put you in harms way.
The lucky expats
haven't gone through the system as of yet, all rose colored glasses until the you know what hits the fan.
I sometimes wonder if any ex-pats have found themselves in a vulnerable situation, perhaps alone without tip funds in a hospital room in HU?
Of course their embassy may send over a rep. when they can but in the mean time how ya gonna eat or wipe your bottom?
No freebies in HU , one must even bring their own TP in hospital with them at many hospitals.
No food , no soap no nothing but a bed shared with 5 or so others. Well not that dire, you do get your own bed in a shared room.
That's not even possible in some countries but it is very much a possible situation in Hungary.
I actually had thought of starting some sort of volunteer service to aid ex-pats who find themselves stranded and alone while being ill or unable to care for themselves.
Not everyone has family or friends to come to their rescue and for sure the hospital staff will not even answer your buzzer if they don't see anything in it for them.
I'm probably never going to seriously start any  NGO in Hungary , I'm just good at seeing issues but not so great at solving them.
Thought about this since so many of my old friends have taken ill lately.
If not for their good health insurance and family they probably would now be pushing up daisies.
One friend who is in a wheelchair has taken a fall and broke her back in 3 places.
The other has brain cancer that just isn't going away no matter how many experimental treatments she has.
Another needs a MRI on her brain as well.
One is still in recovery from having major back surgery and is using a walker now and can't wash herself of get up alone out of bed.
If these ladies were in the same situation in Hungary without being able to speak HU or have family help them, it would be bad, very bad.
In fact in the US if you are an expat it seems people are willing to help you out.
My son was picking up some passport forms awhile ago and asked the post man at the desk a question.
The guy got all hot under the collar and told him to make an appointment if he had questions.The mailman was way too busy helping some new refugees fill out their forms right then and there. He was explaining where to write their name etc. Just really basic stuff.It was more then obvious that those people had no appointment either.
Like that would ever happen in Hungary?
I suppose I should be grateful my only issue right now with HU is not getting a discount travel pass, things could be worst.

And in cheese news....

I bought some Monterey Jack cheese.  It's very rubbery.  Not a classical cheese in the European sense. Maybe a bit like Emmental mixed with a neutral bike tyre repair glue. I won't say A for effort, maybe D-.

fluffy2560 wrote:

And in cheese news....

I bought some Monterey Jack cheese.  It's very rubbery.  Not a classical cheese in the European sense. Maybe a bit like Emmental mixed with a neutral bike tyre repair glue. I won't say A for effort, maybe D-.

You are correct, it must be mixed with rubber glue, worst sort f cheese ever.
It's only,OK mixed with beans or covered up with a stronger flavor like a hot chilli pepper.
Lately I have not really eaten much cheese, dairy doesn't seem to agree with me any longer.
Have tried some alright cheddar here in Vegas, my son gets it from a health food/international sort of market.
Not even really enjoying that very much, my taste as changed it seems.
Eating allot more leafy greens as salads and of course still polishing up that ham from last Thursday, one more shot and I hope to not see a ham bone again for ages!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

And in cheese news....

You are correct, it must be mixed with rubber glue, worst sort f cheese ever.
It's only,OK mixed with beans or covered up with a stronger flavor like a hot chilli pepper.
Lately I have not really eaten much cheese, dairy doesn't seem to agree with me any longer.
Have tried some alright cheddar here in Vegas, my son gets it from a health food/international sort of market.
Not even really enjoying that very much, my taste as changed it seems.
Eating allot more leafy greens as salads and of course still polishing up that ham from last Thursday, one more shot and I hope to not see a ham bone again for ages!

I was recently presented with a choice of cheddar or Swiss cheese as a topping. 

Cheddar I obviously know, but what is generic Swiss cheese supposed to be?  Emmental? Appenzeller? Bergkäse? 

I chose Swiss cheese. Didn't taste of anything.

Nothing like a good proper (European) cheese on a cracker, in an omlette* or just grilled on toast with a spicey sauce on top.

*Omlette update: I had a hotel omlette this morning with American cheese in it. It was bad, I mean really bad, dire, horrible. I thought i was going to throw up.  Not doing that again.  I also had some apple smoked bacon.  It was sweet.  Yuck! Sweet bacon, now come on, that's ridiculous. Bacon, especially plain old smoked bacon, is just fine.  Hold the apples.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

The other has brain cancer that just isn't going away no matter how many experimental treatments she has. Another needs a MRI on her brain as well.

If she's got a gliobmastoma multiforme, she'd be dead between 10-14 months of diagnosis.  No cure for that one - it's the absolute nastiest.  No chance of survival.

If it's in the surface of the brain between the skull and the surface of the brain, then there's a chance of removal with loss of cognitive functions.

There's another one in the brain stem.  That has a better chance of removal but chance of paralysis and other effects. Mainly in children I think.  Nature is cruel.

I'm not sure what sort of brain cancer my old friend has but we found out about it  3 years ago.
She had surgery to remove the tumor, it was on the right side of her head near her ear.
She has been getting experimental treatments in Washington state.
Has to shave her head bald every so often and have eletrictods  put around her skull like a halo and wear some sort of box that sends electric current or something like that to the various little units on her head.
She told me last week on the phone that she feels great but the cancer has come back. No pain, thankfully but she is forgetting things.
Tried to make her feel better by letting her know we all are forgetting things.
At least she has seen her first grandson, first grandchild rather born and spends time with him.
I wonder if her job had anything to do with her illness.'She was a dental hygienist and later taught that skill at the dental school in a uni.
Too much exposure to X-rays?
it's just sad since she had her entire retirement planned out her house paid off etc.
She is a trooper though, still goes camping in her mobile home with her long time boyfriend. Travels up to Nelson Canada where she used to live, her fave place on earth.
If anyone can get better, it would be her. She does her yoga classes and goes out to concerts, tries to live a fully as possible while she can.She is not the type to freak out over things, always so cool headed ( no pun) always in control of her emotions.
Life is cruel but then again at least we had a chance and she has lived longer then many other people have.
She has a good attitude which is one reason she is still on my BFF list.
Known her since we were around 12 years old, always someone you could count on .

Yesterday I went to the DMV  here in Vegas.( Dept. of Motor Vehicles)
to get some more time to fix a little something on one of my son's cars.
I never heard that being possible in Hungary.
Once your car  safety is due it's due in HU.
I stood in line just at the info desk for about 75 mins.
Long line which got allot longer after a bit.
Long story but I found out we could of done it all online without bothering to go into their office.
I forgot how much easier some things are in the US to take care off.
In  Hungary one has to run all over town to get things in order, they hardly allow much business to get done online with a printer.

I did find out more about the new "Real ID" that will be required in 2020 to enter any US federal building as an ID if you don't have a passport on you.
It has a small gold star on the top while any replacement of the old driving or old ID cars will now state not for federal use.
Have to have a real ID or passport in 2020 to travel within the US unless you have a passport to use in the US.
Seems the freedom of travel is rapidly changing.
I wanted to just get more time on my old driving papers since I'm home so not to ave to hassle with it next time with taking a test ect.
Will probably go for the real ID because it seems one can't fight it but I'm not too happy about it either.
What is that gold star all about I wonder? Some sort of tracking device?
On the way out there was a booth and people asking for signatures in support of the 2nd amendment . I signed it because it is just one more right they are trying to take away.
I have no guns and don't plan on buying any but knowing how much control they are slowly enforcing made me stop and sign my name to the "hit list" probably not such a great idea to be known as a "patriot" at this crazy time.
I do not vote in the US elections because I do not live here full time, whatever mistakes are voted on I don't want to know it was partly my fault for voting in another scammer.

On the funny side, They rearranged the inside of the DMV since I was last there.
I noticed a short line of 8 or so people at first and noticed a desk nearby.
I was about to ask at the desk if it was the correct line but the women working the desk was chatting with a co-worker so I just got in line.
Some women who looked really bad , all grey skinned got behind me in line.
The worker noticed me in line and told me it was the handicapped line. Good news I suppose I look healthy !
I said I hadn't noticed and got out of line to where she pointed, a line of over 100 people.
The old hag behind me literally looked at me and made a barking sound in disgust that I was trying to be a line jumper by using the handicapped line.
Some people really are mental.
I was about to give her a "Curly Joe Howard" AKA Curly from the 3 stooges but decided to take the high road and just walk away without making a total fool of myself.
Later I thought, what the heck ,I should of just started barking back at her, what could be the worst that could happen? I'd be tossed to the curb by security for barking?
I seriously do hope however that that crazy old women was not in that office trying to get driving paperwork!!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I'm not sure what sort of brain cancer my old friend has but we found out about it  3 years ago.
She had surgery to remove the tumor, it was on the right side of her head near her ear.
I wonder if her job had anything to do with her illness.'She was a dental hygienist and later taught that skill at the dental school in a uni.
Too much exposure to X-rays?
it's just sad since she had her entire retirement planned out her house paid off etc.

Won't be glioblastoma then as she's way past the limit if she's had it 3 years.  Very few people survive that long although there are some few examples of people going on 20 years depending on location of the tumour etc. 

Could be X-rays that did her in.  My brother died of glioblastoma so I know a bit about it by reading and researching the subject.  He was an international jet- setter flying all over all the time. Perhaps he was exposed to cosmic rays too much. He also had it all sorted out for retirement. Plans were made and he was looking forward to it.

My brother was told on this 61st birthday he had a tumour and he was dead 13 months later.  If he wasn't rich enough to have private health care, he would have been dead in 3 months. He was misdiagnosed by various doctors and paid for a private MRI and that's when the tumour was found.  If he'd believed all those quacks, he'd have expired very quickly.

Cancer is just nasty

So very sad about your bro.
It makes one think, work all your life and then get hit by a nasty surprise just when your goals are about to be reached.
I've been around people who know their time is short it's hard, never sure really what to say to them.
Last year I was sent over to get a  scan for breast cancer up in Buda at a cancer center.
History of it in the family so they wanted to screen me by shooting some dye in my arm .

All good, no problems at all.
It is a bit nerve racking though to be sent for these serious tests.
We made a mistake and went to the wrong building first.
It was more of a hospice then a hospital.
That was upsetting to see people walking with aid and with tubes attached to them.
I hope I don't see it coming because I'm too much of a cry baby to go through that junk.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

So very sad about your bro.
It makes one think, work all your life and then get hit by a nasty surprise just when your goals are about to be reached.
I've been around people who know their time is short it's hard, never sure really what to say to them.
Last year I was sent over to get a  scan for breast cancer up in Buda at a cancer center.
History of it in the family so they wanted to screen me by shooting some dye in my arm .

All good, no problems at all.
It is a bit nerve racking though to be sent for these serious tests.
We made a mistake and went to the wrong building first.
It was more of a hospice then a hospital.
That was upsetting to see people walking with aid and with tubes attached to them.
I hope I don't see it coming because I'm too much of a cry baby to go through that junk.

Good you were tested.  They should test you for the BRAC2 gene.  That's the one Angelina Jolie had. Her mother died of breast cancer so she was at severe risk.  While you are in LV, maybe get a gene test - you can do it very easily now - even by post and it's not expensive.  Google it!

My bro was lucky to have money.  He was rich enough to be privately airlifted from a European country back to the UK and pay for private brain surgery.

Yes, your bro was lucky that he at least had good care, poor thing though.
I was told my son had cancer of the bones when he was 12 1/2 at the time his arm broke like a twig.
My heart just about gave out on me hearing that.
Thankfully the same day it was confirmed it was another issue with his bones.
What a horrific few hours though... Thankfully my strong mom was with me when I heard that news.
Without her I'd probably of passed out on the floor.
People who have ill children really need to be extra supported by everyone, it is a living hell.

My bro is dropping off his 97 Chevy  this afternoon. He put in a new engine and tranny, hope we don't muck it up and find ourselves having to purchase the car from him.
Our HU family has borrowed our old car in the past and returned it in bad condition, we aren't like that, will probably give him a oil change etc. before we return it.

My DIL and I had a very off beat for us evening last night.
Went to the video premire  of my second cousins new music video which can now be seen on U Tube.
It was held at a "gay" nightclub.Many of the same crowd as those at the gay play we were taken to a few weeks back, Super friendly people but they live a different lifestyle then I do for sure!
We sat in a reserved booth with her parents, my first cuz and his wife.
Dang, it was a wild time, drag dancers, strobe lights, drinks and dinner.
I met the "famous" drag queen Coco Montrese from Ru Paul's Drag Race, took a photo with him and my DIL, nice guy really.
I was a bit over whelmed with how much surgery some of these guys had on themselves, butt and hip work and the customs...
We received a cake and "adult " party favors. I brought the cake home as a lark for my husband since he loves his sweets.He is giving the cake a pass, not interested in even looking at it.
I had fun though, actually "hammed" it up a bit by insisting my DIL have a photo taken with our special cake and party favors, they do make interesting eye patches...God, what she must think of my family!!
He refuses to eat it since it is in the shape of a human organ, not saying which organ that would be but one can guess!!
Ok so her name for her U tube video is, Cristina Royale
Talk about having a A type personality, she is wild! A real life Mae West.
Somehow she got the lads from Aussie Heat to be in her music video, they were also at the club last night but I didn't even bother getting a photo of us with them, just skipped my mind.
My quiet,"normal" simple cousin is flying in Sunday night, I plan on just taking her to places that are more my style as well as her's, like the Wetlands Park nature center and visiting second hand shops,low key and restful times ahead. Sounds good to me.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Yes, your bro was lucky that he at least had good care, poor thing though.
I was told my son had cancer of the bones when he was 12 1/2 at the time his arm broke like a twig.
My heart just about gave out on me hearing that.
I met the "famous" drag queen Coco Montrese from Ru Paul's Drag Race, took a photo with him and my DIL, nice guy really.
I was a bit over whelmed with how much surgery some of these guys had on themselves, butt and hip work and the customs...up a bit by insisting my DIL have a photo taken with our special cake and party favors, they do make interesting eye patches...God, what she must think of my family!!
He refuses to eat it since it is in the shape of a human organ, not saying which organ that would be but one can guess!!
Ok so her name for her U tube video is, Cristina Royale
Talk about having a A type personality, she is wild! A real life Mae West.
Somehow she got the lads from Aussie Heat to be in her music video, they were also at the club last night but I didn't even bother getting a photo of us with them, just skipped my mind.
My quiet,"normal" simple cousin is flying in Sunday night, I plan on just taking her to places that are more my style as well as her's, like the Wetlands Park nature center and visiting second hand shops,low key and restful times ahead. Sounds good to me.

Yes, my bro had his private health care but he was also taken care of by the national health service who provided (at zero cost I might add), exemplary care in the hospital and at home until his final days in the hospice.  Brain cancer robbed him of his speech, intellect and humour.  Shocking to see.

I actually looked Cristina Royale on YouTube and saw her cake being iced by these guys.  Not particularly shocking really to me and more a novelty.  I've seen worse!  Her music generally, well, meh....seen better!

I might enjoy a couple of hours with those kinds of people so long as I could go and visit the nature centre the next day to fully recover!   

The weekend starts here.....!!!

I am old fashioned, was sort of surprised my 2nd cuz could be so wild in front of her parents...Oh well, they seem to both also enjoy the attention .
I took home one of those special looking cakes to give my husband a laugh, he wasn't all that amused. I decided no one was going to eat it so it went in the trash. My husband told me to give it to a homeless person who begs near the highway but I said even they have their standards!
Took my bro and his wife to a Vegas buffet today, my first buffet since I've been here now.
Over stuffed on sushi ...
Time now to rest up for my next relations visit to Vegas, this one should be a nice smooth relaxing time, then again she may also have a few skeletons in her closet too!!!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I took home one of those special looking cakes to give my husband a laugh, he wasn't all that amused. I decided no one was going to eat it so it went in the trash. My husband told me to give it to a homeless person who begs near the highway but I said even they have their standards

Meh. I would have eaten it. Cut up enough, no one would know what it looked like before. Else, there are blindfolds.....

If fact, someone I know cooked a cake with a political statement and entered it into a local cake competition and the local government cut it up into tiny pieces to try to obscure the message. Oh... and surprise of all things, they did not win any prizes from the local judges (which I think included the then mayor).

But of course, I would only eat any cake if it was a good cake.

Had plenty of conservative *looking* cakes that tasted so bad, I would not have offered it to a rat.

Yes, my husband had suggested I cut it up and serve my bro small slices but where would the fun of been of doing that?
I met with my bro yesterday at Planet Hollywood in Vegas where he was staying.
I didn't bring the cake but told him about it, he said he would of loved to of seen it, he has a weird sense of humor like I do.
It didn't look like a good tasting cake anyways, a mix cake that was pink in color inside.
My husband spent hours a day ago making his fresh apple pastry for us, so much better and we know exactly what was added to the cake.
I was really a bit put off by looking at the shape of that party cake anyways...
More like a joke then actually something to eat.

Those huge mega casinos are really something else, one can easily get lost for days inside those places.
My bro drove his extra car into town to loan us for awhile, nice of him but although he put in a new engine and tranny it isn't the best of cars, my husband will probably be working on that car as well as the other two cars around here.
It has seat covers with skulls printed on them, so funny to see my husband driving that racey looking car with skull seat covers.

My bro's wife was just given a nice Honda Mini van from one of her friends.
I was impressed by how nice and new looking and running it was. Leather seats etc.
Sad though, this women who just gave her a van is a emergency room nurse who is fighting cancer of the liver.
Same women had a teenage son who was found dead in his bed one morning just a few years back.
He had a heart condition that no one knew about even though is mom was a nurse.
So sad and so many questions unanswered.
You'd think having a parent in the medical field would protect you but guess not.
The women used the van for her charity in her son's name and since she now is ill herself she just gave the van away.
Interesting that she didn't give it to her charity to sell.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Yes, my husband had suggested I cut it up and serve my bro small slices but where would the fun of been of doing that?
I met with my bro yesterday at Planet Hollywood in Vegas where he was staying.
I didn't bring the cake but told him about it, he said he would of loved to of seen it, he has a weird sense of humor like I do.
It didn't look like a good tasting cake anyways, a mix cake that was pink in color inside.
My husband spent hours a day ago making his fresh apple pastry for us, so much better and we know exactly what was added to the cake.
I was really a bit put off by looking at the shape of that party cake anyways...
More like a joke then actually something to eat.

Didn't know you could stay at Planet Hollywood. I was in one of their restaurants once, I think in LA, and the food was terrible - no way I'd eat there again.  I'd rather shove an interestingly designed cake in errr...my cakehole.....

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Those huge mega casinos are really something else, one can easily get lost for days inside those places.

I was at one of those yesterday. It was so ridiculously OTT and the staff so rude, I just couldn't face it and left immediately.  Just a total scam. I don't know why I went there, been there before with Mrs Fluffy and I don't know why I thought it would be better now.  Better a beer in a beach hut with your feet in a warm sea.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My bro drove his extra car into town to loan us for awhile, nice of him but although he put in a new engine and tranny it isn't the best of cars, my husband will probably be working on that car as well as the other two cars around here.
It has seat covers with skulls printed on them, so funny to see my husband driving that racey looking car with skull seat covers.

You could get him into it.  He could get himself a chopper motorbike, grow a shaggy beard, wear a bandana and jeans and go on a road trip across California like in Easy Rider.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

You'd think having a parent in the medical field would protect you but guess not.

That'd be like dodging bullets.   

She could possibly get a liver transplant if it hasn't gone too far. But if it has, then she's not in a good position  - look at Steve Jobs (he was nuts though).  Interestingly, having had liver scares myself, I read that if they resection the liver lobes (there are two, one large and one smaller), the removed part can grow back.  Liver is a really versatile and multi-function organ and the only one which will regenerate itself.  If only they could do that with disabled people's nerves and amputated organs.  That'd be interesting.

Oh and while I am waffling, some people I've met recently around here need regenerated brains.  Or re-education. Or something!

In my opinion Hungary is a nice place to have a holiday home and I totally love it in the summer and spending time with my Hungarian friends. But I am so glad I have retained my main home elsewhere.
Flights home are only three hours away so I can manage my life fine.
The advantages for me of not living in Hungary all the time are I find the health services at home to be far superior. This includes even private medicine. Also I like to do a lot of online shopping . Ive had a few  personal disasters when valuable documents have not arrived.
Shopping also includes booking travel and accomodation for  holidays.
Over time it has become far more cheaper for me to access all of these services from home. I don't think it is just the language barrier but as soon as I open my mouth the prices go up considerably and the postal delivery system is dire.

fluffy2560 wrote:

some people I've met recently around here need regenerated brains.

That is being generous.

Some people I have met recently I believe have no brains. They are just (over) reacting with their endocrine system......

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

some people I've met recently around here need regenerated brains.

That is being generous.

Some people I have met recently I believe have no brains. They are just (over) reacting with their endocrine system......

Fight or flight!

Or just be blindingly awkward if having a bad day and want to share the bad news with random passing strangers.  They can be bizarrely emotional and angry.  I find it really peculiar but maybe it's the norms of HU society and frustration therein. 

My neighbour gets all hot and puffy if our dog stands next to our mutual fence.  There's no way the dog can get at him (she just watches him as it's something to do). His blood pressure rises rapidly and his face goes red.  His wife then comes out and gets all angry too (probably group hysteria because he's angry for some trivial reason).   

He complains on some weird matters - like one of our visitors (in a car) parking in the street over the top of where he thinks his water supply pipe goes.  No idea why.  His pipe must be 1m underground like ours.

We're not sure if it's reactionary no-brain syndrome or just him and mental health issues.

Planet Hollywood casino in Vegas is huge with a indoor shopping mall casino, restaurants all over and a music theater .
My SIL won 2 nights at Planet Hollywood and concert tickets over a radio contest.
Never knew anyone who won those things before.
Nice big comfy hotel rooms with a huge sunken bathtub.
My 3rd cousin was in town for a few days.
Interesting, she had never stepped into a casino in her 72 years, we actually corrupted her by making her gamble a dollar and have a mixed cocktail drink!
She only drank half of it!
We took some crazy photos at a Hollywood car museum here in town.
Mostly me in the photos, I'm not shy about goofing in shots.
They had the old Beverly Hillbillies car, a few James Bonds 2007 cars, Elton Johns stage cart and of course the cream dela cream of flashy cars, Liberace's Custom Rolls all done up with mirrors on the sides.
How could I resist not camping it up?
We also got to sit in the Flintstones car from the movie. Haba-daba-doo!
My husband hates that sort of thing but I really had fun, they also had an extensive collection of Vespa's.

Rode my old beach cruiser bicycle yesterday to the new Sprouts health food market in a shopping center close to my boy's house.
I really like the fact you can find just about any sort of fresh organic vegetable there.
Bought some fresh tumeric  yesterday, never had it in it's fresh root form before.
Made some golden milk with it, very nice.
Loads of fresh organic greens as well, organic meats , earth friendly cleaning supplies, fresh dairy, cheeses, a full deli and fish counter.
Beauty supplies, scented body oils and even dental care items.
All sorts of natural oils vitamins all under one roof.
Riding my bike to to buy organic items like a old time Hippie...Back pack and all.
Makes me think of the long winters in Hungary where one must be on the prowl to find a decent green fresh vegetable, get so tired of just the limited selection there sometimes, Hardly ever buy frozen and never buy canned,
It would be really nice to have such a market like this in Hungary.
I know there are health stores in HU but they are so over priced and so small with hardly the selection we have here.
Perhaps someone could start a organic farm in HU that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to shop at.
This sprouts store is only slightly more pricey then a normal supermarket here, in fact they often have fresh items that are cheaper then a regular market.
Bought 1/4 lb of fresh blackberries last week for 67. cents a box.
Not sure how they can produce, distribute pay their staff  rent insurance etc. and keep the prices so low.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Rode my old beach cruiser bicycle yesterday to the new Sprouts health food market in a shopping center close to my boy's house.
I really like the fact you can find just about any sort of fresh organic vegetable there.
It would be really nice to have such a market like this in Hungary.
I know there are health stores in HU but they are so over priced and so small with hardly the selection we have here.
Perhaps someone could start a organic farm in HU that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to shop at.
This sprouts store is only slightly more pricey then a normal supermarket here, in fact they often have fresh items that are cheaper then a regular market.
Bought 1/4 lb of fresh blackberries last week for 67. cents a box.
Not sure how they can produce, distribute pay their staff  rent insurance etc. and keep the prices so low.

I agree.  I'm on an island with no agriculture to speak of and everything is imported.  The fish farm I was at previously (cross reference The Weather thread) was on another island.  Strange possibly an island would have a fish farm (it was freshwater fish - red talapia I believe). 

Here, the only "healthy" veg I've seen is some spinach and maybe some lettuce and a few tomatoes.  A lot is on the fruitier and sweeter side - bananas, apples etc.    When you cannot get decent stuff on a regular basis, you really begin to notice it.  Just for something like mushrooms would be nice to see.

It's also really expensive to bring stuff to a little island.   It could sit on the docks or at an airport for a day and then it'd be ruined so easily unless it's well refrigerated.

I reckon those blackberries, 1/4 lb = 115g approx, would cost at least $8 here if you can actually find any. 

But if you could even get it,  some people anyway, maybe not the locals,  would pay that for it.  It'd be cheaper to take the plane to the USA or another location and hand carry a suitcase of the stuff.

Both blueberries and blackberries are on sale starting today at another market for 97. cents for 6 oz boxes.
Soothie time!!
When we lived in Hawaii in the mid 90's we were spending a good $200. to $250. per week on groceries for 2 adults and a very picky but light eating teenage boy, one dog who was as large as another human.
Cooked at home and at the time no one was eating any red meat except the dog.
That was over 20 years ago, I don't even want to think of the current prices over there.
Island living is interesting but the only way to make a go of it unless you have unlimited funds is to adept  to eating, living and thinking like a local does.
My HU city boy husband learned to spear fish and surf on Maui in the mid 70;s with the local guys.
Grew his hair out, had the facial hair etc.At one time he even gave away all of his closed toed shoes and only wore, "slippas" as the call slippers in Hawaii.
Actually he got into it allot more then I could, wasn't about to learn the Hula and go around barefooted.
It was an experience but not one I care to repeat.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Both blueberries and blackberries are on sale starting today at another market for 97. cents for 6 oz boxes.
Soothie time!!
When we lived in Hawaii in the mid 90's we were spending a good $200. to $250. per week on groceries for 2 adults and a very picky but light eating teenage boy, one dog who was as large as another human.
Cooked at home and at the time no one was eating any red meat except the dog.
That was over 20 years ago, I don't even want to think of the current prices over there.
Island living is interesting but the only way to make a go of it unless you have unlimited funds is to adept  to eating, living and thinking like a local does.
My HU city boy husband learned to spear fish and surf on Maui in the mid 70;s with the local guys.
Grew his hair out, had the facial hair etc.At one time he even gave away all of his closed toed shoes and only wore, "slippas" as the call slippers in Hawaii.
Actually he got into it allot more then I could, wasn't about to learn the Hula and go around barefooted.
It was an experience but not one I care to repeat.

6 oz = 170 grams for a $1, that's pretty good.   Lot of sugar though in smoothies (even if natural).

Strangely enough your mention and concept of not eating meat is creeping into my life too.  I've started cutting down on my meat consumption. I just don't fancy it as much.  I wondered if it was to do with the warmer climate and not needing as much protein or energy. 

That links in with folks I've worked with recently have regularly said they'd "like a steak". But making it into a non-sequitur for fun, I could rationalise they come from further north near the North Pole and therefore meat = heat,   

I know the feeling about wanting a steak.  Seems good but I somehow am getting the idea that I don't need to do that when I'm on an island surrounded by fish.  But I'd be OK with chicken (which has almost no fat).  And certainly OK with fish (no fat also). 

My time on this island is coming to an end for the moment and I'm quite happy to be getting off it even if it means going back to the freezing cold and sprinklings of snow!

fluffy2560 wrote:

concept of not eating meat is creeping into my life too.

Oh No  !!!!!  :o

That is the first sign of the vegan apocalypse.....   :idontagree:

Just remember, they can only be stopped with a shot to the head. Oh, no wait.... that is for zombies. Ooops.... Sorry. Silly me. Feel so embarrassed.   :shy

You stop vegans by slapping them with a bit of bacon. Wack. Wack. And do it campy.  :top:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lqc7AOxd8k

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

concept of not eating meat is creeping into my life too.

Oh No  !!!!!  :o

That is the first sign of the vegan apocalypse.....   :idontagree:

Just remember, they can only be stopped with a shot to the head. Oh, no wait.... that is for zombies. Ooops.... Sorry. Silly me. Feel so embarrassed.   :shy

You stop vegans by slapping them with a bit of bacon. Wack. Wack. And do it campy.  :top:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lqc7AOxd8k

Oh, no, I won't be stopping bacon which must have been invented by the gods.  It would be sacrilege to drop that one.

Trad British snack: bacon sandwiches with toasted bread, mushrooms and HP sauce.  Mein Gott, yum and yum......

I was just thinking of cutting back on the meat front (except bacon treats, not everyday).  Just seems, the idea of steak is becoming less appealing and has been for a year or so.

BTW, what to do about Xmas?  I've said to Mrs Fluffy that maybe we could have an alternate turkey lunch, perhaps some fish, like trout with almonds etc.  She wasn't too happy and said the kids wanted it traditional.  Just don't fancy the blow out never mind the turkey.

fluffy2560 wrote:

BTW, what to do about Xmas?  I've said to Mrs Fluffy that maybe we could have an alternate turkey lunch, perhaps some fish, like trout with almonds etc.  She wasn't too happy and said the kids wanted it traditional.  Just don't fancy the blow out never mind the turkey.

Actually, being an American, after the over indulgent Turkey feast at Thanksgiving, Turkey again the next month was just too much. My family always cooked a big juicy ham for Christmas.

And you know where bacon comes from....right?   ;)

I suggest killing two birds (or pigs) with one stone......

So far no one as answered the post about Christmas foods in Hungary.
I know some people eat fish or stuffed cabbage for Xmas dinner in Hungary.
I'm done for now with turkey, we had so much left over from Thanksgiving .
Used to be no problem when we had a large dog, he would eat about half the turkey over the holidays.
No bones of course.
Once for his birthday in July we BBQ'd an entire chicken for him alone on the outdoor grill.
The look on his face when he realized it was all for him was special.
He devoured the whole bird in one sitting after we removed the bones.
Only took him about 30 mins to upchuck it, way too much even for a Dobbie to digest.
We have actually been reducing the amount of meats we consume lately just because there are so many nice veggies here to eat instead.
Made a veggie bean soup loaded with fresh veggies yesterday, not your traditional HU way of making bab leves but a healthy version.

Feeling a bit like going down memory lane here, while I still have half my mind.
Plan on running over today for the very last time to my fave professionals only beauty supply house.
After tomorrow I will no longer be a professional...
Sad really.
I have finally decided that spending money on new working papers to do hair every 2 years is just a waste of money since I do not live and work in NV any longer.
It is required to update your professional papers every 2 years before your birthday.
I do not plan on every going behind the chair again, done my time and glad to be done with it.
Just thinking about how hard and how long it took to learn that trade, all the people I met and different salons I worked in.
On the bright side after all these many years I finally bought myself a professional hydraulic salon chair. Perfect timing, just as my career is ending I get my equipment in order! Figures.

klsallee wrote:

And you know where bacon comes from....right?   ;)

I suggest killing two birds (or pigs) with one stone......

I think the folks from PNG call humans the "long pig". 

Bacon comes from the bacon tree or the supermarket. 

Any fule kno that*

*In case that's too British, I was channeling Deep Purple/Ian Gillan and Nigel Molesworth (see Tovarich Google).

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

So far no one as answered the post about Christmas foods in Hungary.
I know some people eat fish or stuffed cabbage for Xmas dinner in Hungary.
I'm done for now with turkey, we had so much left over from Thanksgiving ......
Made a veggie bean soup loaded with fresh veggies yesterday, not your traditional HU way of making bab leves but a healthy version....On the bright side after all these many years I finally bought myself a professional hydraulic salon chair. Perfect timing, just as my career is ending I get my equipment in order! Figures.

I'll bite....

To be honest I don't really know what Hungarians eat for Xmas as we only end up at my MILs or FILs over Xmas and I don't know if that's typical.  I no longer spend Xmas in the UK - too commercial and difficult to get to.  Cheaper in the New Year.

I think it's fish on the Friday before Xmas day sold out of those tanks in Tesco.  I think Slovakians eat fish on Xmas Day - we were there once in the days before Xmas.  The turkey thing might be an English speaking nation thing for all I know!

I can say easily about the British. 

We would normally have the roasted turkey with trimmings. That means having some vegetables (anyone's choice) but tend to mean some or all from brussels sprouts, carrots, beans or peas and roast potatoes etc.   

We always have something called Yorkshire Puddings (I've mentioned these before).  We jokingly call these Joska Puddings after Mrs Fluffy's uncle and rest of the family who misheard the word Yorkshire.   These are very popular with kids and adults alike and can be eaten anytime (good with fillings if you make "big" ones - you can even put porkolt in them).   Quite tricky to cook (very very hot oven). Well worth having a go at cooking. 

There is a tradition of a dessert called Xmas Pudding which is a heavily fruited type of pudding, often dome shaped, cooked for hours on end in water.  It's usually served with a dollop of brandy over it, sometimes set on fire and quite often consumed with double cream.  Some families have an old silver sixpence which is cooked in the pudding and whoever finds it gets the luck.  But they don't get to keep the coin, it's recycled for next year.  Watch your teeth.

There's a tradition of small sugary cakes to nibble any time. These are called mince pies but they don't have mince (as in meat) in them but a fruity mixture.   Again, served with a spoonful of cream on them or marginally healthier, some greek yoghurt.   

I don't eat mince pies myself now as they mess with my glucose levels but I have fond memories of eating them! 

Another tradition is Christmas Crackers.   Click to find out more!

I heard straight from a Japanese lady that in Japan a big thing to do on Xmas day is to eat at KFC.
Since many over there do not celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday they see it as a fun day to put up funny decorations and eat either KFC or Italian food.
My son's old Japanese girlfriend had him hang up Xmas lights inside their living room one year. She liked them so much that they hung there for the next few years! It was odd when we visited them but I sort of liked it over time, a nice soft glow in the living room, multi-colored lighting, like having a flashback every night! ( No, not a hot flash!!)
My grandmother on my mom's side was have English and half Mohawk.
She was a fantastic cook and her job was that of the personal cook for a wealthy family in Conn.
Some man who's brother was a film director or famous producer in Hollywood.
She mostly cooked, "English" style foods, the roasts, mince meat( not meat) pies, pot pies and fruit cakes all sorts of puddings baked apples and egg nogs.
My mom learned to cook as a child from her mother and I will say my mother made the best mince meat ) non meat) pies with perfect flaky crusts I have ever tasted.
I miss my mom's "English" style cooking, it is common on the east coast of the US for people to cook a bit like over in the UK.
After all most people had relations that floated over from that region.
My older sister cooks UK style allot of the time too, she lived there for a decade and loves cooking, she even does up her own mint sauces and Christmas puddings.
I love more eastern European foods, cabbage with every meal is ok with me.
Those Xmas pies however... hmmm wish mom could bake up a few right now.

Had some good new yesterday while in my fave professional beauty supply house here in NV.
They told me that the state board now doesn't require former cosmo / manicurists / hairdressers to keep up their working papers as many do retire from the trade and they will honor all old cards to allow shopping in the supply house.
Perfect, that is the only reason I kept up my paperwork all these years, to shop at their store,no plans to work ever again behind a chair.
One of the best BD presents ever!

Should be getting ready to go out for the day but lazy about it.
Been having a cold for a month now, not sure why I am the only person in the house to get ill.
Spending too much time answering BD wishes online this morning.
64, YIKES!!!!
Really not anything I ever thought I'd be celebrating.
It's also my BFF's long time boyfriends BD.
She made me think over some of the more insane BD's I've had over the years.
One that comes to mind involves her.
I had my own tiny flat in S. Ca, and she came over to enjoy the day with me.
It was my 19th BD and I hadn't yet met my husband.
I decided to bake a mix cake for the "party".
We enjoyed a bit too much smoke and were just laughing and talking away while I mixed up the batter, lite the old oven and placed the batter in the oven.
Left the room and had more smoke and laughs.
Went to check the cake in the oven and noticed the pilot light hadn't been lite properly, I being the space case that I am didn't smell the gas.
lite the stove again and POW lost my eyebrows, eyelashes and had a red face.
We really laughed about it, so lame we could of blown up the city block if I had waited another 10 mins.
My BFF reminded me of that day this morning and mentioned that for some reason her father's old pervo friend picked her up that day from my apt. in his tiny sports car and his name was Loop.
He got fresh with her on the ride home.
I wish I could pick up a time machine or at least remember more details of the past because for sure we really do have allot of comedy material in our stash of life memories.

It's very quiet here. Everyone must have started their Xmas early.   My relatives are saying they are off work until about w/b 7th Jan. Basically taking 2 weeks.  Didn't used to be like that!

I made split-pea and ham soup for lunch but I couldn't get split peas so it was lentil, pea, vegetables and ham soup.  It was surprisingly OK.  Supposed to be good for winter.  Garnish was intended to be fresh mint but I forgot to put it on.

My husband made a very nice Goulash in the slow cooker for my son and his wife, we ate left over bab leves??  ( He only made enough for 2)
He also made some langos, came out really nice and fluffy, loaded with sour cream and smoked gouda cheese.
Noticed it's snowy in Budapest, figures, I 'm not there this winter so it snows.. ( Been waiting a couple of winters in HU for enough snow to use our sled in the park)
all good it usually is messy in the city, turns to mud and is slippery on the walkways.
Guess I'll have to settle for another sunny day.
Nice to not have to wear a hat, gloves,heavy coat and scarf whenever we walk outside.

My old friend from childhood sent me over a couple of photos of her back after her big surgery.
OMG, I think I would off myself then go through that.
Looks horrible and extremely painful.
Her entire back it a huge open wound very deep looking too,'Sent me her X-ray chart, no way her entire spine from top to bottom is enforced in a cage with rods and screws.
Think it's been over 6 weeks now and she is still a mess and just laying  around depending on everyone.
I wonder how bad her back was before this because this doesn't look good at all.
Hard to get that image out of my mind.
I do hope the new year is good for her and she can finally get out and about on her own.
Makes you realize how fragile we can be.Guess this is her ,"test".

We have no plans on doing Christmas this year, good enough to spend time together without presents.
Been doing way too much shopping here as it is, afraid my luggage limit is already over the limit.

There are so many things to do in Hungary without buying stuff, the ice skating in the park looks like a great thing to do for a family.
Quiet times with family are really what the holidays are about, not allot of presents and getting into debt.

We discovered our dog knows her politics. 

Not only does she lay down on Fekszik ("lay down") but she'll also lie down on "Brexit". 

She might even roll over!

Mrs Fluffy was most amused.

Looked over a new post on this site that mentioned fresh greens and where to buy them this time of year in Hungary.
I know the pickings are few at the markets during winter.
Not to upset anyone or make them envious but, dang there is so many fresh veggies and greens here right now in NV that I can't decide which ones to buy.
Yesterday we drove by a huge Mexican grocery store, they have a bakery, deli and food court inside the store as well as all items for making Mexican meals and a HUGE fresh produce section.
I usually go to the near by health food super store but since we were right by we went into the Mexican market.
Dang, everything was extra low priced yesterday, couldn't believe how reasonable the prices were on just about everything.
Bought avocados for, 5 for one dollar! Had one for breakfast, just perfect, no spots or soft parts.
Tomatoes were only 33 cents LB.!
Romaine lettuce was also only 33 cents each bunch!
Italian parsley was 25 cents a large bunch.
Coriander was 50 cents a large bunch.
Spinach was 99 cents a bunch and sweet red potatoes 50 cents a lb.
Red onions were only 20 cents a lb.
This store is always reasonable but this was a steal.
I am not missing Hungary ATM at least not the food markets at this time of year.
I know these items were probably GMO and not organic but at those prices how can one say no?

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Not to upset anyone or make them envious but, dang there is so many fresh veggies and greens here right now in NV that I can't decide which ones to buy

Well, it is Hungary. Economic reality is different here, and that matters a lot.

For example, there were plenty of "fresh" vegetables in snowy Switzerland too in winter when I lived there. It is all shipped in at high costs. But at high general Swiss salaries, the cost is not a problem for most people. But fewer can afford the shipping costs in Hungary, so not economical to do it. So it mostly isn't.

Same in the USA. Most produce is imported now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/13/dini … ctionfront

That tomato in NV was probably a Mexican hydroponically grown product.

But it all comes at a great cost as well (this page will not be available in the EU without a VPN):

https://notices.californiatimes.com/gdpr/latimes.com/

klsallee wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Not to upset anyone or make them envious but, dang there is so many fresh veggies and greens here right now in NV that I can't decide which ones to buy

Well, it is Hungary. Economic reality is different here, and that matters a lot.

For example, there were plenty of "fresh" vegetables in snowy Switzerland too in winter when I lived there. It is all shipped in at high costs. But at high general Swiss salaries, the cost is not a problem for most people. But fewer can afford the shipping costs in Hungary, so not economical to do it. So it mostly isn't.

Same in the USA. Most produce is imported now.

Same here of course. 

Our local Tesco at any time of the year has bananas from Ecuador, grapes from India or Chile etc.   Makes me wonder what the economics are for importing such things many thousands of miles/km.  The logistics must be staggering and the technology finely tuned.  Bananas must be shipped by mega-tonnes in special cargo ships and specialist machinery to stop ripening. 

UK has always had plenty of discussions on the obligation to buy bananas from former colonies as a kind of subsidy.

I was by chance at a banana plantation earlier this month but when I went to a supermarket and looked at the fruit and veg all the bananas were imported from outside the country.  The plantation was shipping 300 boxes a week supposedly for domestic consumption.

There's a crisis coming in banana production with Panama Disease.   GM bananas might just save it.  Hopefully GM bananas don't turn us into mutants.

Hate to be too real but most people lately seem to be,"Mutants".
GMO's have done there damage as well as baby formulas,sugar, white flour and fast foods.
Many people I see are so semi- handicapped at a younger age then say my parents or grandparents age.
See many young looking people using scooters to get around and no one walks much.
My grandfather was nearly 95 and never used a cane and stood up straight a tall last time i saw him at 93 years old.
He lived on a simple diet of rye bread sourkraut daily with one cigar and a pint of whiskey, same diet for his entire life.
Most breads these days are full of fillers and bleached flour.
Doubt they can support a healthy life on their own.
Most people have blocked pineal glands and our walking robots.
Getting harder and harder to find natural foods that have been grown in good soil with good water with minerals still in the soil.
I personally enjoy beer once in awhile but have learned that the hops have allot of female estrogen hormones. Man boobs and becoming way too laid back are a side effect for males that drink too much beer.
It also isn't great for females as it can promote breast cancer.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Same here of course. 

Our local Tesco

Which is why I don't shop at Tesco. Tesco brought their international corporate trading system and contacts with it when it first came to Hungary.

Well, okay, I did a few times shop at Tesco, when I first moved here, many many years ago. Mainly because they were the only local store that had organic milk. Sometimes. Maybe. When they felt like it. It is a terrible corporation.

But when I went in once, and saw wrinkled old green peppers imported from California, in Hungary, which produces so many great fresh peppers, and yet no Hungarian peppers at all for sale (not even a space for them), I walked out and have never stepped in a Tesco since (over a decade now). Plenty of local produce producers in Hungary. No need to buy imported items unless they are "out of season". Then Italy or Spain, or Turkey can supply them and are close enough -- no need to ship from the USA.