I am fishing for opinions

I am a 32 year old well-mannered middle-class divorced man living in the United States.  I have nearly lost all tolerance for american women.  I find them shallow, self-absorbed, self-important, and unappreciative, among other things.  I am seriously considering a visit to Cambodia in a few months and my purposes are as follows:

I want to connect with the culture, mostly outside of the tourist zones.

I want to get a feel for the difficulty, appropriateness, and chances of success for possibly finding a wife.

Then if all goes well, bring said wife back to the U.S. and live happily ever after :)

Is this plan doable?  I would be interested in hearing any opinions on the feasibility, acceptability, difficulty, possible outcomes, and possible problems with this idea.  I will not be offended if you disagree; I really do want to get a feel for this idea.

The overall goal is to bring happiness to someone who very much deserves it, and to be happy myself in the process.

Not sure if Cambodian women are the same as Chinese and Thai but be very careful. Asian woman lie all the time about everything ..... and they can be extremely sweet while they are doing it. Trying to find a woman who is truly interested in you as opposed to your money will be very difficult.

Well thanks for the input, I will keep it in mind.

My opinion.  If you're looking for true love rather than a "wife", it's going to be hard.  The culture over isn't conducive for that.  Women over there necessarily don't date.  Arrange marriages and marriages that are based on what can the guy offer their daughter is very prevalent. 

That's going to be your biggest issue.  I'm familiar with both Western and the Khmer culture but even when I visit, I will still have my parents' friends or friends of relatives try to "set me up" not with a GF but a wife.  No first date, just marriage.  LOL

Even within the culture, we have songs, poetry, and movies about guys falling in love with a "Phnom Penh girl" versus a girl from the country side.  The big difference is that the PP girls will break your heart.  I'm alluding to what the above poster wrote.

I have Cambodian American friends who have married Cambodian women and now are living back in the States.  A majority of them fail because of that lack of that getting to know each other period.  Either the woman married because they felt like they had to for their parents, U.S. citizenship, or money.  I blame it more on the guy for being that naive.

The best plan would be would not to just visit but live there for a period of time.  Get familiar with the culture and people.  In the end you'll increase your chances of meeting the right woman versus just getting a wife.

If you have any more specific questions, just PM me.

Thanks very much, that sounds like good information.  If and when I do visit, I plan to stay for about a month to see how much I can learn.  After that I hope to either have achieved my goal, or to know for sure whether or not to put more effort into it.

And find a country side woman i.e. get out of Phnom Penh.  lol

Vourn: a question regarding your post: "I have Cambodian American friends who have married Cambodian women and now are living back in the States.  A majority of them fail because of that lack of that getting to know each other period."

What exactly happens? Do they split, and she returns to Cambodia? Or does she find another man in the U.S.? Are these Cambodian American men very Americanized, and is that possibly a problem?

Hey Rudius,
Any update? How did your Cambodian adventure work out?

Most often if they cannot speak your language u need several years to communicate properly ! If she has no job forget it too City girl 98% chance of failure! Better option is find Filipino girl ( they speak English ) Also always get to know family more almost than the girl to see how much they have influence over her That decides success or failure many times ! Know her at least 1 year before u even consider doing anything extreme

Come and live over here. Learn something of the language, culture and nature of the people. And in the course of your life here you might find a Khmer woman you can love who will love you back. It's certainly not something you can plan... or do in a few weeks/months...at least successfully. You can't be clueless about the person you marry. For example, nothing....nothing on this Earth...is more important to a Khmer woman than her family. Moving her to the United States is fatal to her happiness and most likely yours too. On the other hand you may find living with her here intolerable. There are a lot of unknowns and they are most all perilous. I can say I know a lot of guys who live here happily married to a Khmer woman. But I don't think any advice anyone posts here can substitute for experience. Take the plunge. Educate yourself. And all will be as it should be.

In everywhere there are bad and good women , not all american women are shallow , self important ,unappreciative etc etc and not all Asian women lie and girls from Phnom Pehn can be fantastic the same Filipinas girls are. I hope you find the true love , best regards.

woman from
latin american

Given the OP hasn't posted for five years, it's probably pointless offering suggestions.

Fred wrote:

Given the OP hasn't posted for five years, it's probably pointless offering suggestions.

Thank you everyone for contribution.

[this topic is now closed]

Closed