Non native English speaker, non ESL trained. any chance?

Hi, Arrived in China one month ago and started looking for a job in manufacturing engineering with little luck.

Now I am considering the option to teach English although I am non native. I also don't have the training course and didn't teach English before in a school or training center. I know.. doesn't sound so good..
Not sure where to start looking for but actually do you think I have any chance finding a job in this way? any stories or contacts?

Thanks so much. Cosmin

One question .... do you think it will be fair on the students or school if an unqualified and inexperienced person were to attempt to do that job?

Normally I would also prefer a qualified teacher for my child but this depends on the number of existing qualified teachers.
I have met in my travel in Vietnam two english teachers which I was surprised of their level of english but still they were doing a good job, I assume, raising the level of english at a moment when the school did not have the option to find qualified teachers on the market.

As non native speaker it's very to get a working visa.
An other option you could consider is finding a sales position. If you're English is ok and you also speak another language as well your odds are good to find something. Of course, speaking some Chinese also helps a lot.
Also, find Chinese friends, and let them know that you are a looking for a job.

You might get some teaching opportunities in Shenzhen or Guangzhou but getting a taeaching qualification would be a must, though that should not be too difficult to do.
perhaps you can try applying for teaching jobs via the internet n just see what comes
good luck

I actually go there, to Guangzhou today. I hope that talking in person would be an advantage when trying to contact potential employers.
Thank you for the reply.

By qualifications, you mean TEFL certification?

Actually, u should just try applying via the internet 1st , lots of good jobsites online, one being 51job.com .
obviously , being a native speaker would be easier but i guess there should be openings for non-native ones too in guangzhou or shenzhen, .. especially if u r relatively fluent in Chinese and would have the advantage of being able to explain n clarify terms in mandarin

i used to be bombarded with emails from agencies seeking people to go teach english at nurseries n classes for working adults so i know a little about the market  , good luck

y, TEFL will be the most basic one , there r others that u can upgrade to once you are in the trade , should be relatively straight forward ..

To Anyone Interested in Teaching English

I am a Native English Speaker from one of the NOW 6 approved countries (by new Chinese law).  In case anyone is interested here are the NEW rules as of May 1, 2016, oh and they will be enforced.

1. You can ONLY teach English (legally) in China if you are from one of these countries:
USA, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland.  (I didn't come up with this list, the Chinese government did)

2. You MUST have a BA or BS from your native country or a recognized University.  Degrees are now being checked carefully so diploma mills are not a good choice.

3.  Minimum certification 120 hrs of TEFL or TESOL.  Soon that will be upped and soon they will begin to want a "real" teaching certification.

Also be aware NOT every school can hire foreign teachers legally.  If you are hired by a school illegally you are facing not only a fine should you be caught, but a quick exit from China will follow.  The Chinese government in some areas are cracking down hard so be on notice.

Another thing to be aware of, some schools will promise you the moon, and once you have signed a contract you'll find the moon isn't part of the deal.  Contracts are not binding you will soon discover.  Ask around and be sure of the company before you agree.  Money sounds good, until its time for them to pay you. 

Finally, enforcement has become much stricter and while you may get away with stuff for a while don't think it will last.  It's much better to do things legally for all concerned.  To teach English in China (years ago) you only needed to be a foreigner with minimum language and breathing.  Today it is much different (thankfully) and you need to be a Native speaker, with some experience and in it because you care about the students. 

Please don't do this if all you care about is the paycheck, you are cheating your students.   The students in China deserve better, the fact is, if you had kids wouldn't you want them to get the best education possible?  Why not do the same for someone else?

If you are a qualified teacher under the new rules, the school I work for in northern China is looking for good teachers.  Feel free to contact me.  BTW, I have worked in China for 9 years teaching, I have been with my current school for 6 years.  I am the Director of our College Prep Program.  The school has been in business since 2001 and was started by two American teachers (who have since retired).  China needs good English teachers they've had enough sub-standard ones.

Please don't do this if all you care about is the paycheck

That applies to any job, but about a million times more so in teaching.

As a TEFL teacher myself of many years experience, I can tell you now that it's not something you can do either without training or because you cannot do the job your are trained for. Sorry!

I am a non-native speaker and currently I am studying chemistry. I was thinking about teaching in China, so I was aspiring to get my Master of Ed in chemistry and english, but since the new law I would need to get a degree in a native english speaking country.
This would mean that I would have to take a credit, but since I am not sure that they won't decide in the future that they just want natives I am reluctant to to this step.
Any advices?

It will depend on which country you are from...there are some exceptions being made for people who are from Europe, but it depends on language level and country.

Regardless, I suggest if you do want to teach English you will still need to get your TEFL certification at a minimum, don't come without one.

I am from Germany. And a Master of Education in English and Chemistry, is a quite good qualification for those jobs, but since it doesn't really matter, just because I am a non-native, I think I will just go on a Master of Science in Chemistry and get a TEFL.

Having a TEFL will be important, and since you will also have your degree that will be very helpful.  It also will depend on where in China you choose to work.  Some provinces are stricter than others in regards to how and who they hire.

I work in Jilin Province and our company has some "wiggle" room right now so we can hire non-native speakers from Europe.  There are also some other public schools here that can do that for now.  Good luck and I hope it all works out.

Hi Irai

I am new to the site and do not want to bug you but based on some of your previous posts, you seem to be one of the people who could give me some advice.

I am a native speaker from South Africa and am busy with a 120 hour TEFL as well as a basic Mandarin language short course.
I have a business management diploma but no actual degree and I have no official teaching experience but rather, have experience managing staff.

Is it realistic to think that I might find employment teaching English in China ?

Cheers for now

Dear Tracer:

Okay, here is the short answer, maybe.  Here is what I mean, the Chinese government supposedly passed a rule that English schools can ONLY hire foreign teachers from 6 native speaking countries: USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand.  Your country was missing from the list...however, they don't seem too inclined at the moment to notice that oversight.  I have recently hired 6 teachers from So. Africa, but all of them were already here in China so maybe that's why it was fine.

If you are interested, and you don't mind very cold winters, then contact me and let's talk.  I am currently looking for another teacher to start soon.  Having the TEFL is a must.  You don't need prior teaching because we can train you to do what we need if you have some ability.  A degree is good and soon that will be an issue, but as of now it isn't.

Things here change quickly and then change again...that's just China.

I hope that helps, LRai

Dear Irai

Thank you for the reply and interesting information.

I am not too afraid of the cold as one can at least dress up, it is "furnace" type heat or humidity that I do not handle very well as I have a sensitive skin and ginger hair.

Anyway, thank you, I will contact you when I have completed my TEFL but I will probably not be ready in time for you as I have a few weeks left of the course and also still need to apply for my new passport and am still saving money for flights. I would think I would be ready around February.

Have a great week

Dear Tracer:

Your timing is fine.  Do contact me when you are ready.  If you don't like heat and humidity then stay in the North part of China, anything south and you will not be happy.  I lived in Guangdong Province for 3 years and it about killed me.  I have lived in the north Jilin Province for 6 years and love it.

Hope to hear from you again.

LRai

lrai wrote:

Dear Tracer:

Your timing is fine.  Do contact me when you are ready.  If you don't like heat and humidity then stay in the North part of China, anything south and you will not be happy.  I lived in Guangdong Province for 3 years and it about killed me.  I have lived in the north Jilin Province for 6 years and love it.

Hope to hear from you again.

LRai

Dear Irai,
I have followed this post and learnt quite a lot from it. Well, I am Kenyan (non native-even though I have only used English since I was a toddler!) and trained Teacher (secondary level). I have previously taught in an International School in Kenya (following the Ed excel system) and also worked as an Editor for some reputable publishing firm over here.

I have been looking for a teaching job in China and most agents seem to point to my being non-native as a hindrance to getting a teaching job in China.

My question is: Is this rule only for English Teachers or it's for all teachers? I actually teach Business Studies (Accounting, Commerce and Economics) and Geography.

Kindly shed some light on this.

Warm Regards,
Evans

Dear Evans:

I can't speak for all of China, but I can tell you what I do know about the Northeast part and Jilin Province, the rule for English teachers is they must come from one of the six approved countries.  After April 1st this year the rule will be strictly enforced and we are awaiting the problems that will cause.

I am not sure about other teachers for other subjects, but for English it will be strictly enforced in our Province (so they say).  I have some wiggle room currently but not sure that will last.  For example, if you wanted to teach for my company I might be able to hire you but only for a college or public school.  I could not hire you for one of our branch schools because we ONLY teach English even though we do more subject-based teaching currently.

I hope that is helpful.  I suggest you check into the local colleges where you are and see what they might have available.  The beginning of the semester is always a good time to seek jobs teaching.  I have an immediate opening right now for a college teacher! 

Take care and good luck,

LRai

lrai wrote:

Dear Evans:

I can't speak for all of China, but I can tell you what I do know about the Northeast part and Jilin Province, the rule for English teachers is they must come from one of the six approved countries.  After April 1st this year the rule will be strictly enforced and we are awaiting the problems that will cause.

I am not sure about other teachers for other subjects, but for English it will be strictly enforced in our Province (so they say).  I have some wiggle room currently but not sure that will last.  For example, if you wanted to teach for my company I might be able to hire you but only for a college or public school.  I could not hire you for one of our branch schools because we ONLY teach English even though we do more subject-based teaching currently.

I hope that is helpful.  I suggest you check into the local colleges where you are and see what they might have available.  The beginning of the semester is always a good time to seek jobs teaching.  I have an immediate opening right now for a college teacher! 

Take care and good luck,

LRai

Dear LRai,
I am humbled to hear from you. I have sent you a private message as a follow-up on the other teaching opportunities available for me.

Thank you for this valuable information. Pleasurable!

Evans

Hello LRai,
Seems like you only accept messages from your contacts. Kindly initiate a chat so that I present to you my details and other processes that may be needful for my job search.

Cheers!

Evans

Dear Evans:

Sorry about that...I had a problem with "spammers" so I had to take measures to keep them out.  I have sent you a contact add request so we can chat.

LRai

lrai wrote:

Dear Evans:

Sorry about that...I had a problem with "spammers" so I had to take measures to keep them out.  I have sent you a contact add request so we can chat.

LRai

Great. I have accepted your request. I appreciate.

Evans

lrai wrote:

Dear Evans:

LRai

Sorry to hear you've been getting spam messages.
Please use the 'report' button so the moderation team can remove the offending member if the automatic anti spam system doesn't weed them out.

Thank you for your help.

Dear Fred:

Did that and it solved the problem...thanks,

LRai

With a master's in chemistry, think about teaching chemistry at a university.

If English is your first and primary language you ARE a native speaker! Don't let employers tell you otherwise.

We need an urgent replacement for an english teacher in Qidong city (about 1 hour from Shanghai). Maybe we can find a right position for you. You can email me for further discussion. ***

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Chan:

The 6 country rule (see posts above) isn't from the employers, it is a government rule and one that is being enforced.  I wish it were not so.

Currently we are able to hire from So. Africa but only if the teacher is currently in our city and under an old contract.  However, that could change soon.

Just FYI

you can try to find opportunity in private training agency,

While you could try that...I wouldn't.  "private" agencies have some issues, and the ones I've had to deal with have been less than truthful to their foreign employees.  Please understand the new visa rules in China for teaching English were put in place to raise the standards and get ONLY qualified teachers here.  Before these new standards, if you were breathing and foreign and spoke English (at any level) you could teach it.  Let's just say not the best standard. 

Beware of agencies that can promise you a job if you are a non-native speaker and from anywhere but the designated 6 countries.  They are lying and probably bringing you over on the wrong visa.  If you are caught teaching without a "Z" visa and foreign expert stamp, you can be fined and then deported.  The closer you are to Beijing the stricter they enforce the rules.

Under the new rules qualified teachers will jump through some extra hoops now.  You must NOW get ALL documents pertaining to your education and background check, notarized and authenticated and that must be done in your home country (before you come to China) and in the province or state where you reside.  ONLY then can you get your Letter of Invite an then the "Z" visa.  DO NOT COME TO CHINA if you DO NOT have a "Z" visa.  If you come on any other type of visa and try to teach you may find yourself shipped home and hit with a fine.

Choose your company wisely, and be sure they have a good reputation.  I could fill a book with horror stories of "bad" companies.  China is a great place to work, but you need to know what you are doing and how to fit into their culture.  I do hire teachers so feel free to PM me if you are interested and you fit the new criteria.

LRai

Great advice, thanks a lot!

I know a lot of non native teachers, but I have already seen a lot of them being sent out of the country as a consequence. Somehow some schools still manage to get performance visas for their non native teachers. Anyone knows more about this?

Dear Helengonefar:

Some private English schools have long time connections with the government so they get around some rules.  This is frustrating for those of us who follow the rules.  The basic rule is, if a teacher is in China moving around usually isn't a huge issue, but be aware that's changing.  If however a teacher is new to China the rules are very strict.  You must be a native speaker, you must have a BA degree from a "real" college and at TEFL/TESOL, all documents now must be authenticated and notarized and degrees and criminal background checks now must have the official Chinese stamp from your embassy in your country.  That last one is a real headache at the moment. 

Just FYI, for those teachers currently in China, the last one is about to effect you too.  China now has an on-line solution but to be honest it's crazy.  You must read and write Chinese to use their link and get the Chinese stamp here in China...the process is not easy and takes time.

One last thing...hiring new people takes longer now, it used to take about 6 to 8 weeks and now it's taking 4 to 6 months.  The new hiring system is insane and complicated.  It's no wonder we are facing a shortage of foreign teachers here in China.