American Supermarket in Maadi - Cairo

Guys,

I am new here, and my job is sending me to cairo along with my family to Cairo for 2 years!
I heard that they have an american supermarket somewhere in Maadi Cairo, which is strickly for americans which sells grocery from home!

can anybody tell me if that story is true, and what to do?

thanks yall

Xpat-f wrote:

Guys,

I am new here, and my job is sending me to cairo along with my family to Cairo for 2 years!
I heard that they have an american supermarket somewhere in Maadi Cairo, which is strickly for americans which sells grocery from home!

thanks yall

If your working on a us military program here and your contract has a line item for the PX you can then shop there or if you have retired from the military and have some form of prof you may also be allowed to shop in the PX.

you wont have trouble finding what you need in super markets in Maadi

Xpat-f wrote:

Guys,

thanks yall

I Live in Maadi and i can't remember seeing an American supermarket
but you have another solutions

I was told that there is one inside the USAID building that is in Maadi!
maybe i am wrong!

i didn't know that too so maybe iam wrong :D

when we were using the supermarket you speak of, it was and still is most likely located in new Maadi its part of the embassy and you most either work for the embassy or be working on a contract which has the use privileges detailed in the the contract and most i knew of were tied directly to defense contracts and or military type programs.

if usaid now has a super market its new to me but it could be possible

well I hope it is as well!
I am planning on going there after the new year and ask them!
I tried asking the embassy, but the phone answering service is terrible!

Xpat-f wrote:

Guys,

thanks yall

Strictly for Americans? Only? It means who is not American, it s not allowed?
And they have a card, or they enter using American passport?
Very, very phony! This is segregation !:dumbom:

not its not for all Americans only those attached to the embassy as staff or people working on military contracts that contain the privilege of using the military commissary/px if you retired from the military and could prove that based on a proper id card they would let those people shop.

the embassy also has a small store but us normal little people could never use it.

even the store in the embassy?
well, i guess i will start looking for shops around then

thanks a lot!

I think the American supermarket someone may have mentioned is more likely the Egyptian markets that stock a lot of American items.  There are several and they're nice to have but you pay a premium for the American items.  I used to be able to use the American embassy commissary but now do all of my shopping in local stores and it's just fine.  I cook all of my own meals (vs. deliveries from McDonald's, Pizza Hut, KFC, and so on) and, while it took a bit of adjustment, it's great.  And a lot less expensive.  There's a French version of Walmart, called Carrefour, with great food selections.  You can google it using Carrefour Maadi.  Also check out otlob.com to see all the stuff they'll bring to your door.  On the market in USAID, it was just a small shopette and they closed it a couple of months ago.  Let me know if there are specific things you're looking for.  I can probably help.

Carrefour Egypt
or:
Spinney's Spinney's is now also located in Mall of Arabia, 6th of October City.

There is a store called Alfa-Market in Maadi, which (according to an american friend) sells a lot of foreign stuff.
It's located next to the big street that goes along the Nile, just 200 meters away from the Armed Forces Hospital.

Kimo market in maadi have all american stuff u won't ever find in Egypt!

valibilic wrote:

Strictly for Americans? Only? It means who is not American, it s not allowed?
And they have a card, or they enter using American passport?
Very, very phony! This is segregation !:dumbom:

So what? When I lived in Nasr City (In the 7th district specifically), The Malaysian government had a hostel for Malaysian student with a big sign in Arabic saying "No Entry for non-Malaysians".

If this supermarket is an American government/embassy-owned premises, they can do what they please with it and they reserve the right to deny service to whomever they want.