Brass Cactus closed down by Hacienda

Brass Cactus in Luquillo was closed down by Hacienda. Apparently they were not sending in the sales tax, they failed to pay about $270,000, unlikely they will come up with the money. We need a new watering hole.

What they need to do is put the owners in jail! The government needs to implement a system where as soon as the tax money is collected it goes into a private account. It is ridiculous the amount of business that hacienda had closed down for tax evasion.

Agreed, a place does not accumulate a tax of 270,000 in 3 months, who knows how long they been withholding without sending the money. The place was not that big, they could not have sales of a million a month.

They are probably going to get 2 cents on the dollar from closing the place.
Here is the article: http://cb.pr/hacienda-hits-four-more-bu … embargoes/

OY VEY!  I should have left a bigger tip.  On a more serious note: can we still drink in the parking lot?

That must be a big tip Frogrock!!!!!

Hacienda is a big part of the problem, if Hacienda can't be bothered to go after the businesses behind on their tax submissions, then Hacienda should not complain that they have no money.

Businesses will delay and use the money to stay afloat during bad times, if Hacienda was on top of them, the loses would be small instead of these ridiculous amounts.

This must had been going on for over a year to rack up that amount of money. I agree with Rey, no oversight of government offices. With all the money that they are missing collecting it should be a process in place to prevent a company to go that far without paying taxes. Heck, if they collect the money at the point of sale there should be no excuse to hold on to it. But as long as they can get away with it, these will still happening. And the government complain they don't have money!!!!

On their FB page they said they are still open and the issues were with the previous owner. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry to hear it but there are plenty places to have drink !! 😝😝🤕🤕🤕🤕🤕 we can meet at Flamboyan right next door and they make great tripleta sandwich !!!

Hey Jonny, long time we seen you in the Forum, hope all is well.

Hey Karenqc,
You said it is open, So did they changed owners the week before, maybe to his wife or brother?
Hacienda did not know they changed owners?
I would have thought that when you buy a business you buy the business including the debt if any. Same name, same place, same kitchen, same tables, same bar, they should pay the taxes.

Hey Adlin, that would assume that their computers were connected in real time or at least daily to Hacienda systems. The business practices are about avoiding  paying taxes, that is why are a lot of businesses operate cash only. Most businesses would not have computers to run their business where Hacienda can keep an eye on them. The corner guy running a business (mostly cash) would collect the tax on every transaction but the books would only have 1/10 of the transactions, that way he can hide the income on 90% of the transactions and steal 90% of the taxes also. Yes in PR we do it better, we hide the income and hide the taxes better. LOL.

I think Hacienda is the main culprit, it is their lazy practices and lack of enforcement that permit the crooks to get away with it. Then Hacienda cries that they don't have enough money.

Rey,

Just reporting what was on my FB feed. They didn't go into those kind of details on their FB page. That's why the "¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

I would have thought that when you buy a business you buy the business including the debt if any. Same name, same place, same kitchen, same tables, same bar, they should pay the taxes.

Normally, I would think so too but anything is possible here, previous owner (if it's true) could have filed fraudulent returns and the new owners wouldn't have a clue.

I think Hacienda is the main culprit, it is their lazy practices and lack of enforcement that permit the crooks to get away with it. Then Hacienda cries that they don't have enough money.

I guess they needed a crisis to get into gear. Now if they could do away with over-spending, bribes, pay-outs, nepotism and the mafia-esque power company. :)

:sosad: That Karen is sacrilegious, they don't know how to operate with out the "over-spending, bribes, pay-outs, nepotism and the mafia-esque power".

anyone know who own the building???  I would like to definitly bring something we dont have here from the US....