CRIM question

When we bought our property in Maunabo in January we were told we need to register the property with the CRIM (property taxes) before the end of 2017. The new deed was registered with the Puerto Rico department of Treasury right after the closing.

My question is what paperwork is required to register with the CRIM?

Our lawyer in Ponce told us we just needed a simple copy of the deed, but the real estate agent in Maunabo said something more formal was needed. So we are a bit confused.

I was told that May might be a good time to travel back to PR to do this. With the PROMESA stuff going on I don't know if they will cut staff at CRIM and I should go to PR sooner, or maybe wait until the dust clears from the changes the PROMESA will be making.

I have registered property at CRIM twice. Each time I brought the packet  of papers that I received at the property closing.  The first time I did not have a mortgage, the second time I did.  Probably had my passport and driver's license with me. Don't remember that part.  Unofficially, I would say not to worry too much about the deadline.  There are thousands of unregistered properties  in Puerto Rico, but I am not an attorney and this is just an opinion.

I wouldn't wait to see what happens with PROMESA.

I had my attorney submit the appropriate paperwork to CRIM at closing. As it turned out CRIM dropped the ball and never got around to processing it. So I did have to spend a day at the office getting it taken care of. I went into the CRIM website to see what I needed, but it is in Spanish and I wasn't quite sure, so I brought whatever paperwork I had.

Since my property is in CRIM-exempt historic district, I even brought pictures of my apartment to show it was in VSJ.

As it turned out, I didn't need anything but the notorized document with the date the form was submitted to CRIM, which, once was given to the right person (and I went through several people and departments before I got to the right person) , was immediately processed.

One thing I've discovered in dealing with folks down there, is that the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

Thank you both for your replies.

The real estate agent who lives in Maunabo has offered to go with me to the CRIM. I am definitely going to accept her offer. My problem is that her English isn't great, and my Spanish is very limited (but I'm working on it), so I will have to hope for the best.

My suggestion isto go directly to the CRIM office. The may schedule an appointment to have your property re evaluated for taxes. Take your closing paperwork and ID with you.
Don't be surprised if they tell you it will take a few months to have the taxes done for the property. Ours took almost six months.
The good thing is that once it is registered, you will get a bill(if you have to pay) in the mail every six months.
You can use an address in the mainland if needed to have the paperwork mail to you. Do not leave any original documentation, it may get lost.
Going with the lawyer is a good idea, specially if she knows about Realstate law in the island.
I am surprised that the closing lawyer did not file the paperwork for you, that is part of their fees. When we purchased the rental property the lawyer did the filing  for us.

Thank you!

Hello. Has anyone had any recent experiences with registering property with CRIM?  We have a home near Ponce that we'd like to register with CRIM. Would appreciate any advice in how to get started. Thank you in advance!
Your lawyer / notary should have filled out and filed an AS-52 form with the new deed.

Create an account and check on your name and address if you can't find it…

I would call. Our paperwork was lost. I emailed the form with the deed and photo ID, a few days later they sent an email saying they received the request and about a month later another saying the transfer was complete.
@williamcameron
Thank you. No our lawyer did not file with CRIM. My situation may be a bit different since the property we bought is not already in CRIM.

Is the process different?