Help!

I am very familiar with PR and love it.. have been down for extended stays up to 8 weeks at a time. BUT.... I need some help if someone can!

Bought a place in Canovanas in late '07. went thru escrow and the works.. all documents and legalities were taken care of. (clear title, clear tax stamps, ect)

The problem....

The following Jan (08) CRIM sent 20 yrs of back tax bills from all previous owners to me. My real estate agent was aghast and tried everything short of creating total meyhem at the local CRIM office.
She was told that I should just pay the back taxes and bill the previous owner..because they forgot to bill the previous ownerS!
Baloney!  What I need is someone 'there' who can help me get thru the CRIM red tape to get this resolved. I have all the documentation from CRIM showing NO taxes were owed at the time of closing. Its stamped and signed at the regional Carolina office. I did call the main CRIM in SJ but was told this would have to be cleared up at the office (Carolina) that has the records (i.e. pass the buck)
I would prefer not to have to get an attorney since all I need to do is show 'someone in authority' i.e.  a higher level employee than the ding a lings at a desk, that I indeed am not liable for a mistake they made before I ever bought the property.

Any ideas?

The best thing to do is go to the CRIM office, take somebody from PR with you, bring all papers.
Let the local person do the talking and you just look friendly and smile every now and then.
The local person should know about the case of course and stay calm.

Trying to get something done from authorities in this country by mail, telephone, fax, internet etc. won't work in 99% of the cases. Going to the office is what everybody does - go with the flow.
Also being a "gringo" doesn't help, that's why bringing the local and him/her do the talking, even if you speak Spanish, is the way to go.

Good luck!

Hello Gary,
I've recently joined the conversation and have noticed a number of your posts.  I'm considering moving to PR, partly as a way of improving my health by living in a warmer climate.  I have an injury that doesn't do well in my northern climate.  I'm currently live in Michigan but have lived in the southern US for a number of years.  Even within the mainland US, there can sometimes be some resentment regarding non-locals.  I can't help but get this impression from your posts, especially regarding the use of the term "gringo".  Things are what they are.  I seems there is an embedded and permeating resentment toward "outsiders", particularly toward those whom are non-Spanish speaking, from the US mainland.  Is this accurate?
IF so, I honestly wonder if a person such as myself would ever feel "at home", even if fluent in Spanish?
I'm not finding fault, only trying to get a realistic feeling for the environment.
I've studied some of the history and have previously encountered information regarding sentiments about Independence V.S. Statehood etc.  I guess I'm just trying to get an honest evaluation regarding the degree / magnitude of these feelings within society and whether this should be a serious consideration of a "main-lander" considering a permanent stay.  Thanks in advance.

Whenever you move to another place, you are going to be a stranger.

When I first moved away from Amsterdam where I was born to a small rural town in the Eastern part of the Netherlands, people referred to me a "the guy from Amsterdam". When I next moved to Germany they talked about me as "Der Holländer" (the Dutchman).
Here in PR I'm a gringo although I'm no North American but many people think I'm one.

You'll never really be "one of them", not even in a different town/ area in your own country.
Once you decide to move away from your country you're going to be a foreigner - and stay a stranger for the rest of your life.
When I go back to Amsterdam it's not my home anymore; I feel like a stranger in my own city! A lot changed since I left back in '88.

Now if you realize that you're going to be a foreigner and you think you can handle it, you can move anywhere in this world.

If you go to live in a foreign country and behave as if you're better than the locals and openly criticize things you don't like, you're not doing yourself a favor.

If you come with an open mind, learn the language and behave friendly and humble you'll find that there are nice people all over the world and you'll feel a lot less foreign.

Here in PR there are quite some people who are not to happy to be part of the USA and who don't like arrogant gringos who won't learn Spanish and who behave like know-it-alls.

I'm sorry to say that many expats are like that. Especially the expats that are here for three, four years before they make their next career jump. They live in expensive gated communities, don't mingle with locals and criticize everything local.

There's also a large group of people here who would like for PR to become a state and they are more friendly towards "gringos", of course.
Still it all depends on how you are behaving.

I live in the "barrio" in a rural area in the mountains. In the mean time people know me and I feel at home. Of course it helps that my wife in Puerto Rican. :D

My personal experience with Puerto Ricans is very good. Most people are open and friendly.
When dealing with authorities I learned that it's better to let a local do the talking. Things will go faster and easier.
Doing business is more difficult than it is for locals (but that's the same all over the world). I have a local sales person working with me and that helps a lot. :)

Bottom line, if you plan to move here, learn Spanish and be nice - most people here will be nice to you. :)

YES, Gary you are 100% correct! The Puerto Ricans take much pride in their country... they are for the most part very giving people and when they see you take interest in their country and language, they will bend over backwards for you. Like any place, you have your good and your not so good... I have never been offended being called a gringa, I am proud to be that american girl. We learn from each other, share cultures. There are many that are just as interested in our culture as we are theirs... Makes a beautiful friendship!

Apparently this is a normal thing that CRIM does.  They will double bill taxes on properties.  It may be the case that you have to go there in person and show the documents.  It is probably going to cost you less to fly down here for a day then to higher another person. 

Personally I would not entrust such documents to an unknown person.  If you lived here you know why I am saying this.

CRIM is difficult to deal with, as is any part of government here - it is really messed up. You just have to go with the flow and know it will take multiple trips, lots of hours but in the end it will work out until it shows up wrong again. When we bought our house there was only one previous owner. We know what he paid in taxes. Our bill showed up as $400 or something for the year and I knew that wasn't right (if it is your only house and a primary residence you don't pay taxes unless it is a certain amount of land or dollar amount). After about 15 hours it all got straightened out and we pay $15 a year. Then when I thought it was all fixed the government implemented a 2 year Hacienda tax equal to 1/2 the property tax. Since they base that on old records of property tax it was screwed up and after another 15 hours or so of waiting and trips (and hundreds of dollars of labor on their part) we paid our $8.08! Your case may be more complicated since it is not your permanent residence and it sounds like you have a house in the states. I recommend blundering through things on your own. A lawyer can't really help much...bringing an interpreter I think shows a lack of wanting to merge into society (they notice this) and it is a doable thing with a little give and take on both sides. It will be worked out, just not in a US type of way. People want to help here and with some trying on your part you will be helped. Getting a lawyer or bringing other people into it will make it go on forever!