Traffic/ speeding tickets

I just got a few speeding tickets in the mail. I think they are very unreasonable and I would like to know about your experience driving in Brussels and, if there is anyway I could object to them.
Thanks

I'm sure you can contest them, there should be guidance on the tickets you've received.  Keep in mind that radars usually have a tolerance or 10% or so.  If you have "a few" tickets, the police might contest that it's your driving that's unreasonable  :lol: Might be best just to pay and take your foot off the accelerator next time.

Romaniac

Indeed. Along with the tickets, there is a form to contest.

It is always worth to try to object. Please note that it can take a while before you have clarity.
A good investment could be a Coyote (coyotesystems.be).  I like it a lot. I am not a speed maniac but is just gives me ease of mind when driving in Brussels. Some radars are placed so terrible that you need to put effort in not to drive to fast there and still be safe compared to other traffic on another lanes. Example when you are driving out of Brussels after the traffic lights close to Hermann Debroux. Merging to E411. It also helps me with avoiding traffic jams. Good luck. (Please ask in objection letter for a calibration report of the equipment they really like that one)

Did you speed or did you not? If you were speeding, then just pay.
Fining for speeding is far from unreasonable though.

Thanks for giving me some insight and not lecturing me. I really appreciate it.

Of course I know that if I got a ticket, I was indeed speeding, but I got screwed several times in the same place where they placed a radar in a spot that goes from 80 to 50 and back to 80 in like 20 meters. That's not for safety reasons that's just a way to collect taxes.

andresita wrote:

I was indeed speeding, but I got screwed several times in the same place where they placed a radar in a spot that goes from 80 to 50 and back to 80 in like 20 meters. That's not for safety reasons that's just a way to collect taxes.

You find this out after the tickets?
If you know at forehand that the speed limit goes back to 50 from 80 and again to 80, than you know what to do.
But if not than you have a chance to win the case if you can prove that it's confusing and not reasonable.
Wish you good luck.

if you want to contest your fines, go to http://ombudsman.be/nl/ombudsman/domain/38

downside is it's not translated in english, just french, dutch and german.

best to avoid fines is to abide with road signs as much as you can.

Nobody likes to be flashed for speeding. But if it is the same place that you were repeatedly flashed, it's done for you. Because you really do it on purpose from getting caught repeatedly in the same place. Therefore even if I do not always agree with tervurener, it is absolutely right in his words and in his tone.

If you were speeding, you have to pay!

Get a Coyote, it'll save you the purchase and subscription in avoided speeding fines for the future...

Drive safe!  Sam.