My experience exchange Drive license in Belgium

Hi all,

I want to share my experience changing Egyptian drive license (B) into Belgium one:

1- first you need to have Drive license issue 2012 and after , and not expired.
2- your English name into the License must same like the one into Passport and Belgium RP.
3- you have to have your RP card within Belgium.
4- official translation of your  Drive license by translator ( French or Dutch ) depend on your commune.
5- go to commune with original drive license , copy of it , your RP card , and photo ( some time they don't request it ).
6- they will check your drive license Model with the approved models they have , and compare with your ID.
7-application should be filled by them and signed by you , then they will keep your drive license with them , and give you a receipt confirm your license information and number ( stamped).
8- you have to wait form 2 up to 3 months , commune will send a paper to your address to go and collect your drive license ( if they approve to exchange).
9- you have to pay about 28 Euro , you should bring the receipt you received in step 8 along with the paper you receive into your mail box.
10-after pay the fees , you will asked to return after two or there days depend on commune to got your Belgium license.
11- they will not return you  Egyptian license again to you ( bad news), they told me you can drive with your Belgium license in Egypt ( which is not true ).

if you have any question i'm happy to answer you.

I had a similar Experince when converting my Australian drivers license. As for them keeping the license my commune told me that if I needed to take my license back if I was going back to Australia I'd have to return my Belgium one and they would give me back my Australian one.

Hello,

Your post is interesting, but I will add some info.

Here is the hyperlink for the list of foreign driving licenses that Belgium accepts to recognize.
https://mobilit.belgium.be/fr/circulati … europeenne

All persons with driving licenses who are not part of this list will not be allowed to drive in Belgium. They will have to follow the complete process with the theoretical and practical tests.

For all those who regularly travel outside Belgium and/or the European Union, you must go for an international driving license to the city hall where you live.

When you go to the municipality to apply for your international driving license, you need:
- a recent identity photo
- your belgian identity card
- the valid Belgian driving license

The international driving license is valid for a period of three years from the date of grant. If the national driving license is valid for a shorter period of time, the international driving license takes up that validity date.

When your international driving license expires, if you lose it, spoil it or if it is stolen, you must ask, on the same conditions, a new copy to the municipality. In addition, you must surrender your old international driving license or the declaration of loss or theft to the Belgian police.

In Belgium, you can only drive with an international driving license if you are not registered in Belgium. As a Belgian and / or official foreign resident in Belgium, you must be able to show your Belgian driving license if you are asked.

This is an additional driver's license that is given to you without loosing your Belgian driver's license.

phipiemar :

Hello,

Your post is interesting, but I will add some info.

Here is the hyperlink for the list of foreign driving licenses that Belgium accepts to recognize.
https://mobilit.belgium.be/fr/circulati … europeenne

All persons with driving licenses who are not part of this list will not be allowed to drive in Belgium. They will have to follow the complete process with the theoretical and practical tests.

For all those who regularly travel outside Belgium and/or the European Union, you must go for an international driving license to the city hall where you live.

When you go to the municipality to apply for your international driving license, you need:
- a recent identity photo
- your belgian identity card
- the valid Belgian driving license

The international driving license is valid for a period of three years from the date of grant. If the national driving license is valid for a shorter period of time, the international driving license takes up that validity date.

When your international driving license expires, if you lose it, spoil it or if it is stolen, you must ask, on the same conditions, a new copy to the municipality. In addition, you must surrender your old international driving license or the declaration of loss or theft to the Belgian police.

In Belgium, you can only drive with an international driving license if you are not registered in Belgium. As a Belgian and / or official foreign resident in Belgium, you must be able to show your Belgian driving license if you are asked.

This is an additional driver's license that is given to you without loosing your Belgian driver's license.

Dear phipiemar,

I have one of different situation that I couldn't find exactly answer,
I had Turkish Driving license I live another EEU country (BULGARIA) with residence permit, I changed my turkish driving license with Bulgarian Driving License, and soon im moving to Belgium(Flanders). Should I change my Bulgarian DL to Belgian, or because of Bulgaria in EEU, I dont need to change again ?
best regards,

Hi Familykan,

If you move to another EU country and your driving licence is lost, stolen, damaged or expired, you should renew, replace or exchange it in the country where you usually live.

Exchanging your licence

If you change your residence to another EU country, you don't usually have to change your driving licence. You can use your current licence as long as it remains valid.

If you wish, you can voluntarily exchange your licence for an equivalent one in your new country of residence.

You will have to prove that you are a resident of that country and that you meet the conditions for having a driving licence (e.g. you have reached the minimum age, your state of health permits you to drive, etc.).

Before the authorities exchange your driving licence, they will contact the authorities in your previous country of residence to check that your driving licence has not been restricted, suspended or withdrawn.

Obligatory exchange

When living abroad, you will have to exchange your driving licence for a local one:

if your licence is lost, stolen or damaged
after 2 years of usual residence, if you have a driving licence valid for life (only if required by the country where you live)
if you commit a traffic offence in the country where you live
Once you exchange your original driving licence for a local one, you will be subject to that country's rules (e.g. on validity periods and medical checks).

Renewing your licence

If you move to another EU country and your EU driving licence expires, you will have to renew your licence in the country where you usually live.

If your driving licence has been suspended, restricted, withdrawn or cancelled in the EU country which issued it, you will not be able to have it renewed.

phipiemar :

Hi Familykan,

If you move to another EU country and your driving licence is lost, stolen, damaged or expired, you should renew, replace or exchange it in the country where you usually live.

Exchanging your licence

If you change your residence to another EU country, you don't usually have to change your driving licence. You can use your current licence as long as it remains valid.

If you wish, you can voluntarily exchange your licence for an equivalent one in your new country of residence.

You will have to prove that you are a resident of that country and that you meet the conditions for having a driving licence (e.g. you have reached the minimum age, your state of health permits you to drive, etc.).

Before the authorities exchange your driving licence, they will contact the authorities in your previous country of residence to check that your driving licence has not been restricted, suspended or withdrawn.

Obligatory exchange

When living abroad, you will have to exchange your driving licence for a local one:

if your licence is lost, stolen or damaged
after 2 years of usual residence, if you have a driving licence valid for life (only if required by the country where you live)
if you commit a traffic offence in the country where you live
Once you exchange your original driving licence for a local one, you will be subject to that country's rules (e.g. on validity periods and medical checks).

Renewing your licence

If you move to another EU country and your EU driving licence expires, you will have to renew your licence in the country where you usually live.

If your driving licence has been suspended, restricted, withdrawn or cancelled in the EU country which issued it, you will not be able to have it renewed.

Dear,

That’s great explanation. Thank you very much, I’m sure also will help to another people.

Best regards,