In retrospect, would you move again to Denmark?

Hi all,

If you had to look back on your expat experience in Denmark, would you heartily say "let's do it again"?

From the preparation stage to your actual everyday life in your new country, what did you enjoy the most?

Would you do certain things differently? Could you tell us why?

How would you describe the benefits of your expatriation in Denmark so far?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience. We look forward to hearing from you!

Christine

hi dear christine
i had live in denmark
i am from iran and if i back i am sure that i choose denmark
denmark is the safe country in the world.

Pros: Wonderful bikeroads, good food, wonderful landscape, bakken between Helsingoer and Copenhagen, history, easy to get in contact with people
Cons: Strange kind of workmanship, feels like Denmark are struggeling with environment, very strange rights for workers, union does not excist.

I lived in Denmark for almost 8 years and moved to New Zealand. I Enjoyed living in Copenhagen. Nice multicultural and metropolitan city. Loved biking and public transport. Amazing friends and good restaurants. The main disadvantage is being expensive. I earned good salary but paid really high rent, guess that's everywhere in the cities in the world. It's been almost 3 years I left Copenhagen but would love to come back one day.

I came for 2 years as an expat and have stayed for about 21 years.  I guess that makes me an immigrant.  The greatest benefit: my danish wife and family.

It is a safe and happy contry,for sure.
If I come back, I would rather find a country with warmer weather and less conservative people.
Language is another important issue for me, as well.
But if you say would I recommend Denmark for immigratiom, I say :For sure!

If I say one good about there: people are the best trained by siences and it is why one with tuned personality could stay, and the opposite is correct as well: the one with ruined personality could seldom tolerate.

I have completed relatively very less time in Denmark. I came here in May-2015......so I am about to complete one year.

All I can say is it is a wonderful place to live. The cold climate can be demanding if you are not used to such extreme temperatures. There are lot of places to explore. Lot of meetup groups to suit your interest. If you love volunteering, you get ample opportunities here. Safety factor is quite high. You don't feel unsafe when you walk all alone in the streets at 0200. I like to spend a lot of time in the libraries, and these libraries are easily accessible.
Depending upon your hobbies and interests you can find lot of groups and clubs.

I came with a government research job in hand.  I was already familiar with DK as I had lectured, here, a number of times and had developed a network of researchers in my field, environmental economics.  Although I thought I was pretty familiar with danish culture before I arrived here, I still went into culture shock with "ordinary people".  I learned rule number 1 (and 2, 3,.., large finite number): "you have to make your own way", so I didn't wait for them to come to me. 

I married a danish woman just before my 2 year stint was up, but had had my contract renewed anyway.  She was not interested in relocating to the US and neither was I?

I was born into American culture with all its warts and blemishes.  One powerful reason i came to Denmark was for the relaxed work ethic and job demands.  Apparently, I was willing to forego a lot of income to do this, which means the benefits must be worth it...and still are, 20+ years later.

Mac

Here's a old Danish adage ~ "Man har det godt i Danmark" :top: