Any body been given a woman? I have one now! Would welcome thoughts

Daelim - If you have read the thread, you will see that there is no way for Chroeb and I to be married here, as I am over 50, and Cambodian law prohibits this. Getting maried in another country is the only solution that I can come up with now.

Gaboo -  Thanks for the encouragement! I feel that this book will take well into the next year before publication. I will then find some outlets in Cambodia so all the readers can get a copy!

Thanks to me .. I own the copyright idea of truing the thread into a book :) lol.. at least i deserve a free signed copy & don't forget that i would be preparing illustrations & the book layout for print ..:cool:

madmax888 wrote:

Daelim - If you have read the thread, you will see that there is no way for Chroeb and I to be married here, as I am over 50, and Cambodian law prohibits this. Getting maried in another country is the only solution that I can come up with now.

Sorry about that.

As this thread approaches 10,000 readers, I am amazed at the great response! My target for publishing is August of 2013. I have photos, and with Miro's help, some illustrations. I have another friend, Jonathan the Artist, who I have known for 2 years, who does sketches also. I would like to have him contribute some as well.

A short post about my cats. Jon-Jon and Maxine are almost 8 months old, nearly full-grown. They are so much fun to have around, developing their own, different personalities and habits. Jon-Jon, the boy, is more adventurous, and will taste everything, even fruits and veggies. Maxine is quieter, and very sweet and affectionate. They still follow each other around, and are most often sleeping close together, if not curled up in each other's paws, grooming each other. I am very glad that I did get a brother-sister pair!

Man I remember this thread from 2 years ago.  Glad to hear that the love story is continuing to blossom.  Good luck and best wishes to the both of you again.

Hello MadMax, great stuff, looking forward to having a copy of the book. I happen 2 b an illustrator as well, happy 2 contribute illos 4 your project if needed. Look around at www.ruszkai.hu. Cheers buddy Gaboo

Things are not going too well as far as getting married! It seems that most coutries close to here require something from the Cambodian Embassy called the "Affirmation of Freedom to Marry". It's supposed to check to see if the woman is too young (under 18, or 16?) or has been married and not divorced. I wonder if the Cambodian Embassy will require/ask for my information, regarding my age. If so, we are screwed again. Is there a way to get an "exception" to this rule? Who/what agency is responsible for this? Any help out there would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I should send a letter to Hun Sen?

Found this don't know if it will help. I have been interested in knowing how you obtain health insurance in cambodia, could you help with information?

Marriage in Thailand

Marriage in Thailand by non-Thai couples or Thai National and foreigner couple is easy to arrange and can be quickly accomplished. The legal marriage registration can be done at any district office in Thailand on any working day between 8am and 3pm.To marry you need passports and proof that you are single. If you have previously been married which ended in divorce or death you need the original certificates. If never been married you need to show the Ministry of Foreign Affairs a statutory statement of non-attachment notarized by your embassy in Bangkok. Your Embassy may require proof of evidence to this fact.

A statutory statement required by the Thai authorities will cost 1,000 Thai Baht each (US$25). Your embassy will normally charge a fee for notarizing it and the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs makes a nominal charge for registering it and issuing a certificate to enable you to legally marry anywhere in Thailand. A further fee will be required to have the document officially translated into Thai.

Special attention should be made about pre marriage planning. Assets of the foreigner should be protected. A prenuptial agreement is highly recommended and should be made before marriage. Prenuptial Agreements should be prepared in both the Thai and English languages. If, for example, the foreigner is a US Citizen with assets in USA and Thailand, the prenuptial agreement should be prepared in such a manner that it is recognized and legally binding in both USA and Thailand. Prenuptial Agreements are less likely to be contested when prepared and signed well in advance of the marriage date.

To marry you need passports and proof that you are single. We offer complete legal services for marriage registration:

Collecting and notarization of Embassy documents (Affirmation or Affidavit of Freedom to Marry).

Translation of Affirmation or Affidavit documents in Thai language.

Submitting documents to Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Register the Marriage at the District Office (Amphur)

Marriage Law in Thailand is governed by the "THAI CIVIL AND COMMERCIAL CODE".

PROCEDURE

The Thai marriage can be solemnized with or without a Betrothal Ceremony in ritual manner and also through court. The betrothal ceremony is nothing but a promise to marry and in the form of an agreement. The agreement is effective only when the man gives engagement property to the woman as evidence. The injured party is entitled to claim damages in the event of breach of the betrothal agreement.

ELIGIBILITY

The man and woman who are wishing to marry should have the following eligibility to get married:1.
Either of them should not be less than 17 years of age. The Court may, in case of having appropriate reason, allow them to marry before attaining such age.

Either of them should not be an insane person or adjudged incompetent.

Both of them should not be in blood relations in the direct ascendant or descendant line, or brother or sister of full or half blood i.e. should no be with in the prohibited degrees of relationship.

Both of them should not have the same adoptive parents.

Either of them should not have a spouse at the time of marriage. If woman whose husband died or whose marriage has become terminated, the marriage can only take place after expiry of 310 days from such death or termination of marriage, but before such period if

(1)
A child has been born during such period;

(2)
The divorced couple remarry;

(3)
There is a certificate issued by a qualified doctor who is a lawful physical practitioner in medicine showing that the woman is not pregnant;

(4)
There is an order of the Court allowing the woman to marry.

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

FOR THAI NATIONALS

The bride and bridegroom who are wishing to marry should possess or arrange the following documents prior to their marriage so as to furnish on demand by the authority solemnizing the marriage at the time of marriage:>>
Identification Cards of both parties.

>>
The House Registration Certificates of both parties

>>
Person filing has previously registered marriage - If divorced, proof of divorce must be shown; in the event of spousal death (the applicant is a widow or widower) proof must accompany application.

>>
Accompanied by witnesses

FOR FOREIGNERS >>
A copy of their passport along with arrival card

>>
Affidavit regarding the marital status of the person from the respective embassy.

>>
Translated copy of affidavits to Thai certified by an approved Foreign Ministry Translator.

MARRIAGE REGISTRATION>>
A marriage can take place on declaration made by both the parties intending to marry by giving consent to take each other as husband and wife publicly before the registrar in order to have it recorded by the Registrar. Giving consent to the marriage may be made

1)
By affixing signature of the person giving consent in the Register at the time of registration of the marriage;

2)
By a consent document stating the names of the parties to the marriage and signed by the person giving consent;

3)
By verbal declaration before at least two witnesses in case of necessity. The consent having been given cannot be revoked.

>>
An application for registration for marriage can be filed at any District Office or Minor District Office nationwide regardless of the birthplace of the couple.

>>
If the marriage registration is filed at the District Office located in female's birthplace (where the name is registered on the House Registration Certificate), the title used with the forename and the last name of the female will be changed by the District Officer. The female is required to file for a new Identification Card within 60 days. If the marriage is registered elsewhere, the female is required to contact the local District Office to change her name and last name, as well as filing for a new Identification Card.

If both parties are unable to file for marriage at any District Office or Minor District Office, the couple can submit a request to the Registrar to register their marriage at any location under the supervision of that District Office. The parties filing for marriage are required to provide transportation for the Registrar. A service fee of 400 Baht is required by the ministry

>>
Marriage shall be affected only on registration being made. After registration is completed, a Marriage Registration Certificate to be obtained as evidence.

PROCEDURE FOR MARRIAGE BY FOREIGNERS

The foreigners who are wishing to marry shall appear in person with their respective passports and arrival card at their Embassy in Thailand to complete declarations attesting that he/ she is single and free to marry in accordance with Thai Law and the registration shall be effected by a Thai Diplomatic or Consular Officer.>>
l. Take the completed declaration to a reputable translation office to have the contents of the declaration translated into Thai.

>>
The documents together with translation and copies of passports have to be taken to the Legalization Division of Consular Affairs Department, where the Consular Official's signature will be authenticated. This normally takes 2 days. The documents and translation are then ready for submission to the District Registrar who will register the marriage and issue the marriage certificate in Thai in accordance with and following the procedure led down in Thai Law.

SPECIAL NOTE:

You should allow four working days in Bangkok prior to registering your marriage as you are required to have been resident in Thailand for at least three days before you marry and you must allow time for the paperwork to be processed in Bangkok. This also allows you to visit some of the wonderful attractions in Bangkok.

>>
If you have previously been married, your divorce certificate. The certificate should be translated into Thai. Since the certificate must be legalized by the Embassy, we prefer that the translation is made by the Embassy or by a translation office recommended by the Embassy.

BRITISH CITIZENS

Guidance for British Nationals Wishing to Marry in Thailand

This information is provided for general guidance only and has no legal authority.1.
Make an affirmation of freedom to marry in person at the British Embassy in Bangkok

>>
Please retype the affirmation including your details on one page in the same format as the attached sample and bring it to the Embassy to sign before a British Consular official

>>
We accept affirmations between normal working hours, excluding public holidays. It is not possible to make an appointment for this service. The service is provided on a first- come – first served basis. The completed affirmation will then be ready for collection from the Embassy between from 09.00 hrs on the following working day. 

>>
We charge Baht 2,400 per affirmation and we can provide this service to British nationals only. 

>>
Please bring with you to the Embassy your passport, as proof of identity, and evidence that any previous marriages have been dissolved/terminated (death certificate or divorce certificate(s) as appropriate). ORIGINALS ARE REQUIRED AND WILL BE RETURNED ALONG WITH THE AFFIRMATION THE FOLLOWING DAY; copies will not be accepted under any circumstances.

Have the affirmation translated into Thai

>>
Once the affirmation has been signed, you will need to have it translated into Thai. Please note that Consular Section does not undertake the preparation or translation of documents. Many reputable translation companies advertise on the internet as well as in the Thai local press. The Embassy is unable to recommend any particular firms.

Have the affirmation authenticated and translation certified

>>
All Thai Registrars will require authentication of the British Consular Official's signature and certification of the Thai translation. This must be obtained from:

The Legalisation and Naturalisation Division,

Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs. (www.mfa.go.th)

123 Chaeng Wattana Road, Laksi District, Bangkok 11120

Tel. 0– 2575 1056–59, 0–2981 7171

>>
There are two fees available: -

1. Baht 400 per document, and it takes up to two full days or

2. Baht 800 per document for the same day service.

Submit the document to the Registrar

The affirmation and translation are then ready for submission to the registrar, who, if satisfied, will register the marriage and issue a Thai marriage certificate.

>>
The British Embassy in Bangkok is not authorized to perform marriages.

>>
Marriage in Thailand should be performed according to Thai law and any detailed questions on the procedure should be addressed to the appropriate Thai authorities.

>>
A religious ceremony on its own is not sufficient.

>>
The documentation to be produced is at the discretion of each individual Registrar. Most Registrars will be satisfied with an affirmation of freedom to marry.

>>
The marriage will only be recognized under UK law if it is valid under Thai law. For it to be valid in Thai law, the marriage must be registered with the Registrar at an Amphur Office (District Office). A list of some Amphur offices in Bangkok and upcountry is attached.

>>
The Thai marriage certificate will be in Thai only. You may wish to commission a “sworn translation” of the marriage certificate from a translation bureau, so that you may use the document for legal purposes in the U.K.

>>
Consular Section can arrange for your marriage to be recorded in the U.K.; please ask us for further details if you wish us to do so. This is not a legal obligation, it is for statistical purposes and if you lose a copy of your certificate only.

>>
Please note that a foreign national does not automatically acquire British nationality through marriage to a British national.

>>
If you are marrying a Thai national, he or she will require a visa to visit or settle in the UK.

>>
Applications for a visa to settle in the United Kingdom should be submitted at least three months in advance of the proposed date of travel. Please ask the Visa Section for further information.

>>
NB: THE FEES MAY ALTER WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE

US CITIZENS

Information for American Citizens

A legal marriage in Thailand consists of both parties registering their marriage in person with the local Thai Amphur (Civil Registry Office). The United States does recognize the validity of such a marriage.  A. TO MARRY A THAI CITIZEN YOU MUST FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

Complete an affidavit at the American Embassy. The affidavit form, available upon request, includes all of the information required by relevant Thai law. The form must be completed and notarized at the Embassy.

Have the completed affidavit translated.

Take the affidavit and translation to:

Legalization Division

Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs

3rd Floor, 123 Chaeng Wattana Road, Tung Song Hong, Laksi District, Bangkok

Tel:(02) 575-1057-8 / Fax:(02) 575-1054

Take the affidavit and supporting documents to a local Amphur and register yourselves as married. The Amphur will also require the following documents:

(a)
Your American passport;

(b)
The Thai citizen's identification card;

(c)
If either party is under the age of twenty, written permission from the parents (with Thai translation);

(d)
If either you or your fiancé have been previously married the Amphur will want to see proof that prior marriages have been terminated; either divorce or death certificates. These documents if available should be translated into Thai prior to presentation at the Amphur.

DENMARK CITIZENS

REGISTRATION OF MARRIAGE IN THAILAND

Registration of marriage in Thailand can only be done at a District Office ("amphur"), which is similar to a town hall in Denmark. Please note that a marriage ceremony performed in a church, or in a mosque, or a ceremony at home with monks attending the wedding is not legally binding in Thailand, - and therefore not legally binding in Denmark either.

In order for a Danish citizen to register marriage in Thailand, the Thai authorities request that the Danish Embassy issue a certificate in English and in Thai, which confirms the Danish national's name, nationality, passport number, issuing passport authority, and address in Denmark, employer, position, and salary. Furthermore, names and age of children from previous relationships, if any. And finally, names and addresses of 2 contact persons (references) in Denmark, who are not family members.

When you return to Denmark after having registered your marriage in Thailand, please inform the municipality in which you live (Folkeregisteret) about your marriage.

1. If you wish to marry in Thailand you should therefore contact the Embassy and bring the following original documents:

Passport

Health insurance card or other official documentation of your present address.

Salary statement (the latest) or similar documentation of your income, for instance your pension statement or your yearly salary statement from the Danish tax authorities

If you have previously been married, your divorce certificate. The certificate should be translated into Thai. Since the certificate must be legalized by the Embassy, we prefer that the translation is made by the Embassy or by a translation office recommended by the Embassy. (See: List of Consular Service Fees).

Names and addresses (references) of two persons you know in Denmark, who are not your family.

Names and age of your children, if any.

Certificate from your Danish municipality concerning notification of marriage ("Ægteskabsattest"). In order to obtain a "Marriage Certificate", please print out the Marriage Declaration. Fill out the declaration and you and your future spouse then need to sign it, enclose the attachments as specified in the guidelines together with DKK 500,00 and send it by mail to your (latest) municipality. Please remember to inform the municipality to which address the "Marriage Certificate" should be sent!

Under normal circumstances, it takes two working days for the Embassy to issue a certificate for registration of marriage in Thailand. You will be charged a fee for the Embassy's assistance (See: List of Consular Service Fees).

Alternatively and in order to save time, you may find it more convenient to forward copies of the documents to the Embassy beforehand, in order that the certificate and any translations are ready when you arrive in Thailand. Please note, however, that you must present all the original documents when coming to the Embassy to pick up your certificate for registration of marriage in Thailand.

2. You should bring the certificate to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs to be verified as a true document issued by the Royal Danish Embassy. The address of the Ministry is:

Legalization Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Chaeng Wattana Road (close to the Communications Authority of Thailand) Bangkok

Tel: 02 575 1056/58 /Fax: 02 575 1054

It usually takes a couple of days for the Ministry to verify a document. Please note that the Ministry will charge you a fee. The Danish Embassy cannot assist you in having the certificate verified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Since May 2003 it has been possible for foreigners to forward by mail documents for legalization directly to the Royal Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Legalization Division.

The procedure is as follows:

Contact Legalization Division at 02-575-1056/58 for more information or details of documents needed especially regarding the legalization fee.

Fill in the form “Application for Legalization”.

Enclose a copy of your passport or power of attorney.

Enclose the document for legalization as well as 2 copies hereof.

Enclose a money order paid in THB to Laksi Post Office + THB 40 for the expense of return express mail by EMS.

State your telephone number and address in Thailand.

The legalization process normally takes 2 working days.

In case you do not have your own address in Thailand you can have the documents sent to your name + c/o Royal Danish Embassy, Sathorn Soi 1, Bangkok 10120. Hereafter you can pick up your letter at the Embassy by presenting your passport.

Forward the documents to:  123 Department of Consular Affairs, Legalization Division, Chaeng Watthana Rd., Laksi District, Bangkok 10210.

3. When the certificate has been verified, you may register marriage at any District Office (amphur). The Embassy, however, usually recommends that you register marriage in Bangkok, or in another larger city, as the district offices in the cities are more familiar with the embassies' certificates. You do not need to make an appointment in advance with the district office.

The amphur will charge you a small fee for the registration of marriage. Please note that you might also have to pay a small fee to the two marriage witnesses, if they are provided by the amphur.

4. After your marriage you are welcome to come back to the Embassy to have your Thai marriage certificate translated into English (See: List of Consular Service Fees)

AUSTRALIAN CITIZENS

Registering marriages performed in Thailand

This information sheet provides Australians with information on how to register a marriage performed in Thailand to ensure it will be recognized as a valid marriage in Australia. The Embassy cannot provide information on other issues, such as organizing celebrants or venues. For information on a Thai spouse's immigration to Australia please contact the Immigration Section of the Embassy (DIMIA).

Why do I need to register a marriage?

Under Thai law a marriage must be registered with Thai authorities to be legally recognized. A valid Thai marriage between adults will then be recognized as a valid marriage in Australia. If you do not register a marriage with the Thai authorities, then you are not legally married, either in Thailand or Australia.

What do I need to do to register my marriage?

The marriage must be registered at the Amphoe (or Town Hall), in the district where the marriage took place. In addition to the normal requirements (about which you should seek advice from the celebrant), each Australian party must provide their passport, and the following:

Statutory declaration

Australians married in Thailand must provide a pro-forma statutory declaration. The Thai Government requires that such declarations be witnessed at the Australian Embassy Bangkok. They will not accept declarations from Australia. A fee of AUD$20 is payable for this service.

Death/Divorce Certificates

If you were previously married, you will need to provide an original divorce or death certificate to demonstrate you are no longer married. You must bring original documents to be certified by the Australian Embassy. The Embassy cannot certify photocopies. A fee of AUD$30 is payable per certified document.

DTranslation

You must also arrange for the statutory declaration and any applicable divorce/death certificates to be translated into Thai. There are many private translation agencies in Bangkok who can provide this service (for a fee) within one working day.

Certification by the Thai Department of Consular Affairs, MFA

After documents have been translated they must be authenticated (for a fee) by the Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs. For information on this you should contact: Department of Consular Affairs 123 Moo 3, Changwattana Road, Kwang Toong Son Hong, Khet Laksi, Bangkok Tel. (+66-2) 5751061, (+66-2)-5751057; Office hours: 08:30 – 15:30

The Amphoe (Town Hall)

When you have completed the above requirements, which can only be completed in Bangkok over at least 2-3 working days, you should go to the Amphoe to register the marriage. An appointment may be required. Your celebrant may be able to assist you with these arrangements.

NEW ZEALAND CITIZENS

Under Thai law, for a marriage to be legally recognized, the parties must be registered at Registrar Office (Amphur or Khet). Each district in Thailand has its own registrar office. The local registrar office will require both parties to complete the following steps before a marriage can be registered.

If either party is a foreigner, the Amphur requires authenticated copies of a passport, a completed Statutory Declaration Form translated into Thai, and the documents mentioned in point 2 if applicable. Statutory Declaration Forms are available at the Consular Section of the New Zealand Embassy

You must complete a Statutory Declaration, which can be obtained from the New Zealand Embassy in Bangkok at the address below

New Zealand Embassy

14th Floor M Thai Tower, All Season Place87

Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330

Tel: + 66 2 254 2530 / Fax: + 66 2 253 9045

E-mail: [email protected]

Office hours: Monday – Friday 07.30 – 12.00 and 13.00 – 16.00 hrs

Appointment should be made for your convenience to complete the Statutory Declaration Form and have your signatures witnessed by the Consul. You must present your passport as proof of your identity. There will be a fee applied for this service.

Have the Statutory Declaration Form translated into Thai at a translation agency, some are located on Witthayu Rd. (Wireless Rd). If one of the parties has been married before, he/she must have the original divorce certificate or death certificate of their spouse translated into Thai.

Once the Statutory Declaration has been translated, the documents will have to be authenticated, this must be done at the address given below

Legalization Division, 3rd Floor

Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs

123 Chaeng Watthana Road, Bangkok 10120

Tel: 0 – 2575 1056 - 9

Fax: 0 – 2575 – 1054

E-mail: [email protected]

Service hours: Monday – Friday 08.30 – 14.30 hrs.

The legalization Division will require an original copy of Statutory Declaration and its translation as well as a copy of your passport. There will be a fee on application. The process will take around two days to complete.

Once you have completed the above requirement, you should go to an Amphur to registrar the marriage. Take with you the above documents, including your passport and the interpreter to facilitate the communication with Amphur officials (this is generally required if neither party can speak Thai). It is important to make an appointment before proceeding to the Amphur.

To arrange marriage ceremony, please contact the hotel at which you plan to stay and request their assistance.

Please note that if you wish to sponsor your spouse for migration to New Zealand, you should contact the Immigration Section at the New Zealand Embassy.

The only forms the Thai Authorities will accept from New Zealand citizens intending to marry in Thailand are those completed and endorsed by the New Zealand Embassy.

Some hotels do provide assistance with legal documents. However, to eliminate problems with Thai authorities, it is advisable that marrying couples obtain their own legal documents.

The steps outlined above are to be done in Bangkok.

CANADIAN CITIZENS

MARRIAGE OF CANADIANS IN THAILAND

If you are preparing to marry in Thailand, congratulations! Embassy officials cannot perform or witness a marriage, but we are able to notarize the required declaration. In Thailand, a civil marriage is legally recognized once registered at a registrar's office, called a khet in Bangkok or an amphoe upcountry. in Thai. Thailand does not permit civil marriage for same-sex couples. You will need to take the following steps to register your marriage in Thailand:

Obtain an English declaration form with instructions available at the Embassy. Notary walk-in service hours are Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 12:00. The declaration is used to confirm your marital status, permanent address, and to give two references in Canada.

If you are divorced or widowed, please bring the original Certificate of Divorce or Death Certificate to have the declaration notarized.

Complete the English declaration form and submit the completed form to the Embassy with the fee for notary service of CAD$50 (confirm the current fee and rate of exchange with Embassy staff). The paragraphs at the top and bottom are to be completed by Embassy staff. The application should take only one morning to complete.

The completed and notarized English declaration must then be translated into Thai by a certified translator. This usually takes 1-2 days to complete.

Have all documents certified at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. While only the English declaration needs to be notarized by the Embassy, both the English declaration and Thai translation must be certified at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs to acknowledge that the signatures appearing on the documents are recognized. This will take a maximum of two working days.

Documents for legalization can also be mailed to the following address with the application form and money order in Thai Baht payable to Laksi Post Office.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Legalization Division, 3rd floor, Department of Consular Affairs

123 Chaeng Watthana Road, Bangkok 10210

Tel: 0 2575-1056 - 9, Fax: 0 2575-1054

Proceed to the registrar's office (amphoe or khet) to register the marriage. If neither party speaks Thai, an interpreter will be required. Registering the marriage will take a maximum of one day. The nearest district registrar office to the Embassy is:

Bangrak Registrar's Office

5 Nares Road, Bangkok 10500

Tel: 0 2236-3154

Hours: Monday to Friday 08:30 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 16:30.

**optional** you may wish to have the certificate of marriage translated into English or French. It may then be notarized at either the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs or at the Embassy of Canada. Notarization should take only half a day.

If you are in Cambodia, Laos, or Myanmar, contact the Embassy in Bangkok directly for details of notarization for marriages in those countries.

RUSSIAN CITIZENS

MARRIAGE IN THAILAND Information for Russian Citizens

If you are considering getting married or registering your marriage in Thailand, you have to know that a legal marriage in Thailand consists of both parties registering their marriage in person with the local Thai Amphur (Local District Office). The Russian Federation does recognize the validity of such a marriage.

To register a marriage in Thailand, you must make the following required steps:

Complete in an affidavit at Embassy's Consular Department. The document includes all the information required by the relevant Thai law. After completing the document, it must be notarized by the Russian Consul. Herewith you must submit your Russian passport and pay in cash a notary's services fee of $20 (exchanged for Thai Baht). If you have previously been married, you must also complete an additional affidavit, stating your present non-marital status. The completed affidavit(s) should be translated into Thai.

The completed affidavit(s) and its Thai-language translation should be legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand (Legalization Division, Department of Consular Affairs, 3/fl., 123 Chaengwattana Road, Laksi District, Bangkok. Tel: (02) 5-1057-8;Fax: (02) 575-1054).

After that you may legally register your marriage at any local Amphur office submitting legalized affidavit(s) and supporting documents:

Your Russian passport;

If the other party is a Thai citizen, his/her Identification Card & Residence Certificate;

If either party has previously been married, officials may want to see proof that the marriage has been terminated. Divorce certificates or death certificates (with Thai translations) should suffice.

Please note that if neither party speaks Thai, it may be necessary to ask an interpreter to accompany you to the Amphur office.

BELGIAN CITIZENS

The following documents are required for a Belgian to marry a Thai national in Thailand:

A birth certificate.

Certificates of residence, of nationality and of civil status.

A certificate certifying that he/she is not married ("certificat de celibataire").

In case the Belgian national was previously married, a proof that he/she is no longer married.

A certificate of good character ("certificat de bonne vie et moeurs").

An attestation from the employer, a bank statement OR a declaration about monthly income.

The names and addresses of TWO witnesses in Belgium and photocopies of their identity cards.

If the Belgian national is under 18 years old, he/she must provide a letter of consent by his/her parents/guardians.

ALL THESE DOCUMENTS HAVE TO BE LEGALIZED BY:

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Belgium

27, Rue des Petits Carmes

1000 Brussels

(opening hours: 9h00-12h00, 10 Euro per document).

The Royal Thai Embassy in Belgium

2, Square du Val de la Cambre

1050 Brussels

(opening hours: 10h00-12h00 and 14h00-15h00, 3 Euro per document).

PLEASE BRING THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS AND THEIR PHOTOCOPIES (one of each), WHICH HAS BEEN LEGALIZED BY THE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS OF BELGIUM.

Once the Belgian national is in Thailand, he/she has to contact the Belgian Embassy in Bangkok

The Embassy of Belgium

17th floor, Sathorn City Tower

175 South Sathorn Road, Tungmahamek sub-district, Sathorn, Bangkok 10120

Tel: 02-679 54 54 / Fax: 02-679 54 65

Based on the above-mentioned documents, the Belgian Embassy will issue two new documents (in English).

These two documents must be translated into Thai.

Contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand (Legalization Service, Kimpo Building, 3rd floor, Muang Thong Thani, Chaengwattana Road in Nonthaburi, tel. 02-503 45 39) in order to have the translation documents legalized.

Marriage can take place at any Thai City Hall (Amphoe).

The couple should obtain for the marriage certificate and a copy of the marriage registration book (both in Thai).

Have these two marriage documents translated into English.

Contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs again to have the translation of marriage documents legalized.

If the Belgian national wishes to return to Belgium with his/her Thai spouse:

The spouse must apply for a visa at the Belgian Embassy in Bangkok. The following documents are required:

3 application forms and 3 photos

a valid passport.

the marriage certificate (both original and translation, legalized)

a copy of the marriage registration book (both original and translation, legalized)

a copy of the passport of Belgian spouse

a copy of the birth certificate (translated and legalized)

a medical certificate.

The visa application will be forwarded for consideration by the competent authorities in Belgium. This may take about two months for a reply from the Belgian authorities.

Copyright and All rights reserved. www.ThaiLaws.com 

Any comments mail to: [email protected]

the issue is that she will need a document from the Cambodian Embassy called  the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry. IF they ask her for my information, they may refuse to grant the Affirmation based on MY age - Cambodian law prohibits Khmer women from marrying a foreigner over the age of 50. As is many things, they are subject to local (Thai) interpreation, and the whims of the agent! No real way of telling before hand, as the one I may speak to today may not be the same one to handle her request!

If you dont want to legalize the marriage in cambodia she only need the paper  telling her she is single and not married.not the age of her fiancee.thats what i read,hope i am not wrong.your age counts if you want to marry in cambodia or get the thai marriage legalized in cambodia.same like gay marriage,you can legalize it in the country where it took place but not in the country wich doesnt recognize it.

Hi and what a lovely tale. I'm seriously considering moving to Cambodia after 14 years in Thailand . . .

Some advice about your book - I have just been trough the steep learning curve needed to produce both paperback- hard-copy and also an e-book version.

Lulu (which was the one I chose after long research) requires very specific formatting for an ebook. Forget all the other programs and stick with MS Word.

There needs to be a precise page layout with set margins and no headers and footers - etc etc - this is not the place to go into detail. If you would send me a pm or an email then I'll set it out simply for you. (And some info on hard-copy production, too, if you like.) Best by far to make a working document that's already formatted correctly and then add to and refine this template, than to have to begin all over again by extracting  raw text and have to reformat every page and paragraph by hand!

Good luck with your life and your book -

cheers

R

Thanks for the advice! My sister has also used Lulu, and she let me know about the strict formatting. I am using MS word, which does make it a lot easier. Right now, I'm still going through the first 1/3 of the postings, after writing about 15 pages on my personal history as to why I am here. It's a lot of work for sure.

Hi again.

I have made an outline for you - best you begin with a pre-formatted template. It's here, anytime you need it.
darkdreams-thai.com/lulu

All the best,

Rob

madmax888 wrote:

Thanks for the advice! My sister has also used Lulu, and she let me know about the strict formatting. I am using MS word, which does make it a lot easier. Right now, I'm still going through the first 1/3 of the postings, after writing about 15 pages on my personal history as to why I am here. It's a lot of work for sure.

Thanks for the format, a bit late as I am well into my 89th page. I was able to add most of the features you point out. I did not like the space mark between every word, so I turned it off, and manually add 3 spaces. I have added about 40 pages of background, mostly bio stuff. I'll get into  the forum this week.

On another topic, Chroeb's schooling is blazing away. Her progress even surprised the teacher. Her vocabulary has grown, and we actually had a whole conversation that someone other than we could understand. I give her nothing but positive re-inforcement. I still do not understand how they teach English here. There does not seem to be any teacing of how letters sound, all they seem to do is memorize larger and larger sentences. I will see if it moves that way. Is this an ESL method?

Plans for Bangkok proceed, got hotel for BKK and Pattaya, getting air tickets this coming week. Having all that paid in advance makes it much easier than coming up with $2000 all at once! This time we are staying in Sukhumvit, not in the Garment District! Gonna pick up some real American Bagels on the way home, too!

I have walked that road...

I have gotten married more times than your average human - that's for sure!  So many, in fact, that I feel qualified as a de-facto expert - lol 

NOW you should think of the downside.  And YES, there IS a downside.  But if you are ready for it; if you expect it and plan for it, the downside can be managed.

NOTHING CHANGES on NEW YEAR'S DAY

With all the hubbub; all the planning and the hoopla, a marriage get turned into something it most certainly is not.  I don't have a name for that non-existent thing but, when it fails to materialize right after the ceremony, many people enter a period of depression.  She, the center of all her friends attention no longer; He, stuck with all those costs and bills...  And quite literally nothing changes for those living together, before they were married.

And so, if no measures are taken to defeat the post-ceremony blues, the marriage turns out to be a negative thing; a source of trouble and woe; something that can produce a funk so deep, it actually causes a breakup!

Sometimes I give the benefit of my experience to others.  I don't argue about it, afterwards.  Take it, leave it - up to you.  It comes with a money-back guarantee :)

Brillant post that, and spot on, you can only offer your advice through experience, up to whoever, if they decide not to take it mate ha ha.

:)

I do not intend to marry for myself. I would be fine just living with Chroeb until I die. My intent here is two-fold; first, to give Chroeb the "status" she deserves as a wife, and no longer a live-in girl-friend. There seems to be a negative social stigma attached to the GF status here. A "wife" is much more socially accepted. The second reason is that after a marriage in Thailand, which is accepted in the USA, I can apply for a K-3 visa for Chroeb so she can come with me to the  USA in 2 years. I don't expect any changes otherwise! And franky, I don't want any change. I'm quite happy as things stand now!

I've been amazed by this topic and story, it's made my decision for me. Next November I'll be going to Cambo and deciding if I want to move there.

@max I cant wait for the book, btw since she seems to be doing very well with english, I would LOVE to hear her comments and points of view about all of this. heck, see if you can get her to say a few things while you type it out on here.

Are you two married yet ? I hope so ! All the best for your future together.

PLans are still for marriage in Bangkok, providing the Cambodian Embassy gives Chroeb her "Affirmation of Freedom to Marry". We will see. Leaving for BKK on Feb 10, 2013.

All set for Bangkok - hotels selected and paid, air tickets bought. I downloaded the form for my Affirmation, and it seems simple. I also found out more details about a B-2 (tourist) visa to the US. It may not be as hard as I thought. I have to wait until March or April to apply, but from what I have heard,its not that difficult to get for her, if I am her sponsor. There is also another visa that I can get as a "fiance'".
Chroeb's school goes well, she can now hold conversations, of a sort, and she is quite pleased with herself! I am very proud of her!
We also decided that we will pay her youngest sister to come here and cat sit while we are gone. She speaks no English, but she is a good woman, and I can trust her to do the right thing.
The book goes well, slowly, I am about half-way through the postings after completing a 40 page introduction. Filling in the time gaps between the postings, I find the book is now near 100 pages, and 35,000 words. I keep plugging away.
We will be off to the market, so Chroeb can buy some fruits for Buddha for the Water Festival.

Good news folks! seems a large debt may get paid off soon. THis will let me put $5000 - $6000 in a CD in Chroeb's name as an anchor. That, along with my sponsorship, and a lot more documentation, should be enough to get her a tourist visa for a trip in September. I Passed 3 or 4 e-mails with an unnamed souce in the embassy, and it doesn't seem as hard as I first thought.
We will start the application in June, as the visa is issued right at the approval time, and is valid for 3 months.
On to other things. School still goes well. Chroeb is almost through with her first set of books.
Her sister continues to go off the rail. In Noveber, she started going to the casinos, and had some beginners luck, winning a new moto that she gave to her brother. Soon after, her luck went south, and she was running around selling this and that, and looking to borrow money. I never indulge gamblers, as its an endless pit. She has been neglecting her daughter and niece, who are still too young to fend for themselves all day, and sometimes all night. The house is a wreck, and her boyfriend is really up in arms. Chroeb has tried to set things right, but I don't think it's working.
The next incident was her sisters demand that her boyfriend buy her a car! Have you seen these people on the road? They have no clue how to drive properly. No car!
Then she decided that because Chroeb and I are still planning on getting married, that her boyfriend marry her. With her usual lack of tact, she got shot down really quick!

The book goes well, needs another month or so fill in, then proper formatting for LuLu, some photographs, some artwork, a cover, and we're done. I'm hoping to e-publish in the fall.
I've already got an idea for a second book, more personal, and probably R rated!
Gotta eat now.
Later readers!

Hi madmax888, I seldom come into this part of Asia in this forum but when I first logged in today, lo and behold, I found your thread amongst the first few and I have spent my whole morning reading it at the expense of my boss. Lolx

I sincerely wish you all the best with your love life, your book/s, happiness and last but not least, good health.

Back from Thailand Monday, February 18. As I expected, we were not able to get married in Thailand. Almost ALL the information posted on the internet is incorrect, according to the Embassy representative in Bangkok. As a Cambodian living in Cambodia, she MUST go to the Ministry of the Interior (?) for the "affirmation of Freedom to MArry", which means that once they find out that I'm over 50, it's no deal. This is about what I expected from them.We may try to find out if this is true in the next month or so, when we travel up to Phnom Penh for the 2nd annual Phnom Penh Bike Week, put on by the Cambodia Bike Club. Maybe passing over a few $100s might help, but I doubt it. We will begin accumulating the documentation Chroeb needs to get a Tourist Visa, and go to the US in September. After some helpful e-mails from an anonymous source at the embassy ( the e-mail addres is from "the non-immigrant visa unit), it seems that their main concern is that Chroeb returns to Cambodia. We will put about $5000 in a 1 year Certificate of Deposite in her name, provide a list of all her nearby relatives, and try to come up with as many valid reasons as we can. I am not allowed to appear with her, but there are some web-sites out there that do provide sample questions, and reasonable answers. After looking through most of them, it doesn't look too difficult to prove. I can also be a "Sponsor" for her, as she will obviously be with me all throughout the trip. The Visa is good for 3 months, and would be issued on the spot, so if we want to go in September, we should apply no earlier than June or so. IT's $160 per attempt, so I hope we get it right!
Some thoughts on Thailand - I will never go back there! Bangkok was completely insane, gridlock traffic all over. Prices are going up all over, and though still present in some places, the customary Thai graciousness is dwindling. There are lots of other places I want to see in Asia!

I m in vietnam with a vietn wife, after reading this posts , regretted... should ve gone to Cambodia instead...

jason1975 wrote:

I m in vietnam with a vietn wife, after reading this posts , regretted... should ve gone to Cambodia instead...

Hi jason1975, I am amused. Lol. Marriage is a holy matrimonial of the sacred hearts witnessed by the Bearded Old Man on top. If you mean regrets the marriage, then there is no need. Regretted leaving reality S'pore? Big NO NEED. Regret not staying in Cambodia? still not too late. Cheers bro

Thank you to all those who wish me well! We will continue to try to get Chroeb to America, I think we've got most of the documents they need, plus the bank account in her name. I'll provide a form - Affidavit of support, and I will get her teacher to write a letter stating how much Chroeb loves school, and how she hates missing even a sinlge day. If I can think of anything else, I'll add that to her folder of documents. If any one out there thinks of anything else we should include, pleaselet us know!

madmax888 wrote:

Thank you to all those who wish me well! We will continue to try to get Chroeb to America, I think we've got most of the documents they need, plus the bank account in her name. I'll provide a form - Affidavit of support, and I will get her teacher to write a letter stating how much Chroeb loves school, and how she hates missing even a sinlge day. If I can think of anything else, I'll add that to her folder of documents. If any one out there thinks of anything else we should include, pleaselet us know!

Hi madmax888, it may possibly be a prudent decision to add some supporting facts of how she may be able to provide/support for herself (and for future needs) since you are already a retiree. In most countries, this is an area where the immigration guys shall be most interested in looking into and also eventually, when applying for the green card. All the best.

Max, I have followed your story for a long time now, and I find it very inspirational.

The only advice that I could possibly come up with, in a case where you would need more "Anchor" documentation that Chroeb will return to Cambodia, is possibly apply for a business license under Chroeb's name. Something along the lines of maybe in the House Maid industry. Allow 3-4 of your friends to "Hire" Chroeb as their maid then that should be sufficient enough documentation that she will have something to return to...

Some will argue that it's slightly unethical, but I would always say that if there wasn't the B.S. "no one over 50 can marry" law you wouldn't need to be.

But that's just my two cents... Probably not even worth that. lol

Dlinetackle, your idea is a good one! I'll follow up on this one. Can't cost much, and more proof is always a plus. I've got 2 or 3 local friends in mind already!

Max,

Thanks, I don't know the laws, and haven't researched it that much. Have you been in contact with a Lawyer stateside? To see if there is anything at all possible he could do on this end?

From what I have heard from other American Ex-pats, it may be that I've been making more of this than it really is. I will follow up on your idea, as it couldn't hurt, but from what I was told today, the embassy doesn't have much problem with Cambodians and Thais, as they are most likely to have little to gain by staying, and most have lots to lose. I've still got over 3 months before Chroeb can even apply, as the visa is granted on the spot, and is good for only 3 months. As I need to travel in early Sept, I can't even apply until early July. Lots of time to get things ready.

Dear max,
what an interesting story, I hope it work out better each and every day..:)

Hi ladmax888.

How about this STUPID idea i had yesterday night while reading your posts :
A KID
If you have a kid with her and you declare this baby to be yours,  he or she will be a US citizen with a US passeport.  The mother will so have no big problem to get a visa to follow the kid and you.
This assuming you and her want to have a kid!

I think Max has had a vasectomy!

Unfortunately, that factory was surgically closed (by me) over 35 years ago,after the birth of my daughter.
I did notice that hellandback has not replied to my posts yet. Maybe too embarrassed?
I don't mind criticism, if it valid, and has the facts to back the critique. This guy, or woman, obviously hasn't read through the huge number of postings to get the true feelings Chroeb and I have for each other.

Madmax888 can be father even if he is not biologically the father!
Adoption ?

Closed