Moving to spain

Hi my husband and I are planning on moving to Spain 2012 after the arrival of our second child. we are currently living in australia but originally from the uk we are looking to move to europe for a year just to have a change and see some new places. we have choose spain as neither of us has really explored it yet and both want to learn spanish. Can anyone give us some tips on the best place to relocate too? we dont want to be in amongst thousands of brits and would like more of a spainish feel.we are thinking of getting a car in the uk then travelling down the west coast of frnace to spain i have heard tolls are high? can anyone recommend this or another way? any help or tips would be great!! thanks Naomi

Welcome to Expat-blog, meandthree :)

For general info, view the "Life in Spain guide", it contains relevant info that might be useful to you.

Hope that members also reply back to you soon.

Regards,
Sheetul

Hi!

My husband and I moved to Barcelona in July and we drove from London. Definitely would recommend the drive! It takes approx abt 13 hours (without traffic) and we spread the drive over 2 days. We stopped off at hotels on route which are inexensive and do not need to be pre-booked.

Tolls are expensive but if you can use the michelin website which will do the route finder for you and calculates the toll costs (approx costs).

We are currently living in Barcleona and loving the city but definitely learn spanish before coming out here as it will make it easier to settle in!

Hope this helps ;)

HI,

We dont have much to offer at this point, but thought we woud send a note to say we are in the process of moving to Barcelona from Sydney.  I already have a job there, so my location is all set!  It may be worth comunicating with you to share stories about our move coming up - we are arriving in March 2011.
Cheers

By the way, I should have mentioned that we are a family  - have kids 13 and 15.  Schools are a very important thing for us as we will ahve to put kids in an English-speaking school.  Looks not to be an issue for you at this point!!