do people have maids in madagascar? what about prices and safety?

Do people have maids in madagascar? what about prices and safety?
I may want to have one but concerned about safety issues (since they have access to house) and how much does it cost?

Hi again,

To my knowledge, most people do have maids. The price is something like $70 per month. Of course, the risk is there: you can try and limit access to some parts of the house, but petty theft may always happen, as everywhere (not only in Africa). I plan to have one as well, depending on when you come, I might be able to tell you more in a couple of weeks.

There are many people who have maids even the poor have some kind of service even if it is just washing their clothes once a week.
Many households have maids and pay nothing. They take girls from smaller villages who have little to no education and these girls who are 14 years old are happy to work for a place to sleep and a bed or mat on the floor. The clean, cook, take care of babies and other small children and make guardian of the house. Rarely they will shop for they can not count nor read.  The you go up from there where a majority of the households will do a combination of salary and eating for $10 a month---perhaps maids make as much as $40 a month. So somewhere in between.  Some Vazaha will include medical coverage and social security and gifts at holiday time.  Security is an issue for many believe in grisgris and is a form of voodoo. SO you don't always understand what is going on in their head.  Then there is theft, passive such as taking money left in the pockets to violence where maids work with others to do some major theft including home invasion.  Maids here are always willing to up grade their life status so some try to endear them self with the men in the household.   I suggest in the beginning you first find a morning maid and see how she is and if you can trust her.  It is nice to have a full time maid for when you leave the house she will act as your security so as to show there is always someone home in the house.

Hi daer How U i am live in kwuait  I have offce pls contt me **

Moderated by kenjee 5 years ago
Reason : Share contact infos only in private please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Dear Tropic Alex
Greetings my name is James and I will be seeking a live in maid when I get Madagascar. Where do you find these villages where low cost help can be found?  Of course it will be more expensive in the long run since I plan to include lodging and meals as well as medical insurance. Please post me an answer.
Thanks
James

cyrilfrench1970 wrote:

Dear Tropic Alex
Greetings my name is James and I will be seeking a live in maid when I get Madagascar. Where do you find these villages where low cost help can be found?  Of course it will be more expensive in the long run since I plan to include lodging and meals as well as medical insurance. Please post me an answer.
Thanks
James

Like most things that you want in this country, it is found by word of mouth.  Start by asking your neighbors, small store and shop owners of which there are dozens in each neighborhood, taxi or tuk tuk drivers, just people you see on the street as everyone is open to talk and be sociable . So many will have family in small villages who will want work. You will pay for their transport which is about $15  on average to bring them in by bush taxi.  It is very easy and you will have many choices as many people in this country are looking for work especially from a vazaha since they know they will get a better wage and medical including food as we Vazaha have a certain sense of treating the help well compared to local Malagasy. There have been some 50 times over the years that I have had people coming to my gate asking for work.

Mathiasawd wrote:

Do people have maids in madagascar? what about prices and safety?
I may want to have one but concerned about safety issues mutuelle entreprise (since they have access to house) and how much does it cost?

We would actually like to have more information if possible, thank you!

Of course, as in any African country you can have maid and gardener and whoever else you want for your home. The prices are cheap: a maid would cost you €50 and up per month, a gardener would probably take something like €2-3 per day of work (they work normally on a flexible schedule).
Security is an issue: the bad news is that most of them would steal. They won’t steal big, but sometimes you’d see that a flash drive you didn’t use for a while got lost. And after asking your maid, it will be magically found in a day or two.
Cameras inside the house would certainly help. When they see cameras, they become more careful.
My ex-maid stole perforator and tablet from me 4 years ago. When I threatened her to go to the police, she returned the perforator. But brought me after to the labor inspection, complaining that I harassed her for stealing. Not a nice experience at all.

Since then I found a very religious woman. And even though she’s slow and needs sometimes the follow up, she doesn’t steal. And I keep increasing her pay just to keep her working for me.

So, yes, you can have a maid, but be very careful with the selection. And beware of theft. I think 97% of them would steal. But it’s the part of life.