Moving back to Virginia?

Hello, Virginians,
       I lived in Virginia for a few years many years ago, but have been on the west coast for a long time now. My wonderful children are grown, I have some time to myself and am considering moving back there, at least for awhile. I'm in my 50s, active, single, educated, and would probably look for work in the health care or law areas.  I like the outdoors, college football, gardening, reading, traveling, adventures, time with friends, music, .... I'm somewhat at a loss as to where in Virginia to begin my adventure, and would appreciate any input or insights anyone may have. Any information on what its like to live in a particular place is welcome. Many thanks!

Hi southerner@heart50, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able give you some advice.

All the best,
Christine

well it depends what you  like.  If you like the beach, i would say Va Beach or a little farther south is pungo which is quieter.  If you like hiking, mountains and things like that, I would recommend charlottesville or Harrisonburg.

judging from your name, I would think you wouldnt like northern Va to much as it is mostly northerners :lol:

Thank you Chilly Willy,
My move got  delayed a bit, but is still in the works.  Hopefully I'll make it by early summer.

Although I live in New England, I grew up in Virginia.  My mom still lives in the mountains, my dad lived in Charlottesville before passing away.

Virginia is a HUGE state.  It takes about 7 to 8 hours to drive from Cumberland Gap to Richmond.   Your question is like asking "where in europe would I like to live?"

I grew up in Washington County.  It's one of the oldest settlements dating back to the time of Daniel Boone, my mom swears by the old homeplace, you could consider looking in the Tri-city area (Bristol, Johnson City, Kingsport). I have nothing bad to say about it except that I prefer NY and Boston.

If you like the laid back country gentleman lifestyle, you'd like Washington County.

Charlottesville is much more academically oriented, with UVA.  It has a small city feel but has marvelous attractions. It's slightly more liberal (politically) than the southwestern part of the state.

Roanoke is another option, it is halfway between Charlottesville and Bristol (politically, geographically, and in every other sense of the word).  The academic community is significantly smaller than Charlottesville.  It has (in my opinion), a much higher crime rate than Bristol or Charlottesville.

You probably need to narrow down what you are looking for to get the best input.