Romanian Driving License

I just wanna know if it's possible for me to convert my driving license which was obtained from Dubai UAE to a romanian one. Or i need to apply for a new one.
Thank you

Aminan,

Yes it can be exchanged without additional examinations.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Thank you  :)

I am almost 100% positive you need to take an exam and driving test, just like locals. I was told my American license is good for 5 years so I am not going to worry for a while.  But after that i need to go thru the testing.  There is a manual to study (about 50mm thick...ha ha ha) and a computer test. You also need to take driving lessons from a school before you are ready for the test.  Many people i know have had to take multiple tests. If you fail the driving exam, you need to take the computer test again first. It's brutal compared with the USA process.

I converted my UAE driver's licence to a Romanian licence (Cat. B) without any additional exams. I just had to translate my UAE licence and a letter from the issuing authority in UAE (MOI) into Romanian. I waited for a week and they delivered the licence at my doorstep.

your American license is only good in Romania if accompanied by a international driving license issued in the USA.  If you hold residence in Romania the international license becomes null and void. You can not hold an international driving license in your country of residence.  You will need to exchange your USA license for a Romanian one to be legal. It requires no test. You just need a few papers and turn over your USA license....kind of a bummer.  The most difficult thing to do is to get a traffic abstract from the state your license in the USA was issued.  I just had a friend go down and get mine and send it to me via DHL.  Then you need to get it and your USA driving license translated and notarized.

Rata Rich wrote:

I am almost 100% positive you need to take an exam and driving test, just like locals.

Wow all kinds of wrong info floating around here! :)

Sorry to disprove you Rata Rich, but a UAE license can indeed be exchanged without exams or practical tests.  It is listed in Annex 2 of the list of agreement regarding the exchange of driving licenses in Romania.  Also whoever told you that an American license is valid in Romania for 5 years is dearly mistaken.  It is valid for up to 90 days once you obtain residence in Romania, then you are required to exchange it for a Romanian license.  Americans also are not required to take any exams aside from the medical check.  An IDP is not required for an American license to be used in Romania, as per the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.

https://www.prefecturaiasi.ro/Prefectur … traine.pdf

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

This information pertains only to Americans, but in case anyone is searching on this topic... :)

I was able to get an International Driver's license today from AAA - it's valid for a year. You just need to bring your valid US Driver's license to a AAA location (and be a member, I think), and pay a fee. It will allow you to drive legally in Romania.

If you're outside of the country already, you can mail your application.

Here is the website for more info: http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

magnolia15 wrote:

This information pertains only to Americans, but in case anyone is searching on this topic... :)

I was able to get an International Driver's license today from AAA - it's valid for a year. You just need to bring your valid US Driver's license to a AAA location (and be a member, I think), and pay a fee. It will allow you to drive legally in Romania.

If you're outside of the country already, you can mail your application.

Here is the website for more info: http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

Magnolia, you might not be aware, but an IDP and American driving license are not valid if you have a residency permit in Romania.

http://romania.usembassy.gov/acs/traffic.html

Obtaining an International Driver's Permit
Although many countries do not recognize U.S. driver's licenses, most countries accept an International Driving Permit (IDP). An IDP functions as a legal identification document that translates U.S. driver's license information into 10 foreign languages. These licenses are not intended to replace valid U.S. state licenses and should only be used as a supplement to a valid license. IDPs are not valid in an individual's country of residence.

Once you obtain residence in Romania, you are expected to change your license for a Romanian one.

Romaniac

Hello!
I have a Car license but I will like to upgrade my license to C1 and C is there any driving school in Romania where I can learn this? Thanks.

Johngood wrote:

Hello!
I have a Car license but I will like to upgrade my license to C1 and C is there any driving school in Romania where I can learn this? Thanks.

Of course there are, use Google + translate to find them.

Can u help me with this please, the right school where I can get my tranny for the C1, C license

Hi Everyone,

I'm Canadian and have been a resident in Romania for more than 3 months now. I have my temporary residence visa, and also hold both a Canadian and UAE driver's license. Does anyone know what would I need to do to swich to a Romanian license? I read that you "exchange" your exisitng license, that seems unfortunate, is it required that you actually give up the other country's license? Perhaps I misunderstood...or perhaps not!

Dolfin66 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I'm Canadian and have been a resident in Romania for more than 3 months now. I have my temporary residence visa, and also hold both a Canadian and UAE driver's license. Does anyone know what would I need to do to swich to a Romanian license? I read that you "exchange" your exisitng license, that seems unfortunate, is it required that you actually give up the other country's license? Perhaps I misunderstood...or perhaps not!

Yes it is true, when exchanging a license, it is a physical exchange as well.  They will take your existing license in exchange for a new Romanian one.  That doesn't mean the other one is cancelled however.  When I came back to the USA on a trip, I went and said I lost my license and needed a replacement, voila....I have my American license back :)

Ok, thanks Romaniac...so, as far as you know I should be able to do the same as the Americans and just do a switch, no test, etc? Right?

Dolfin66 wrote:

Ok, thanks Romaniac...so, as far as you know I should be able to do the same as the Americans and just do a switch, no test, etc? Right?

That's correct :)

:top:

@Rata Rich full of wrong info and bad intentions!!!!! :(((

If you are unsure please DO NOT comment and  spread false alarm!!!!! :((((( NOT HELPFUL AT ALL!!!

@Rata Rich full of wrong info and bad intentions!!!!! If you are unsure please say nothing and DO NOT spread false alarm!!!!! :((((( NOT HELPFUL AT ALL!!! :((((

@Rata Rich full of wrong info and bad intentions!!!!! If you are unsure please say nothing and DO NOT spread false alarm!!!!! sad.png(((( NOT HELPFUL AT ALL!!! sad.png(((
-@Lilla Mihaly

@Lilla

Rata Rich hasn't been active on this site in quite some time, so it was not necessary to reply to him.  Also, while he may have been incorrect, I don't believe his intentions were bad as you accuse him.  Let's be helpful here, including yourself, please.  If you would like to share your experience, please do so.

Romaniac