Tips and advice to thrive in Australia

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Australia?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Australia?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

Hi,

Not easy process to settle in. Took me almost six months to find my first job. A very junior position at a convenience store group in Adelaide and after 5 weeks the fired me, because I ask too many questions. (more so on things that was not right, for example they sell pasties which are days old for freshly baked)

Watered down my resume and started at the bottom with a job. That way I could learn the culture and "hidden golden rules" of survival.

After being here almost 8 years now, I cannot say that I am completely feeling at home, however I fully appreciate the people of Australia. Not an easy process at all.

What keep me going is the fact that I ask myself "why am I a here?" and use that as my motivation.

I was much luckier.  I came first as a visitor on a business trip and stayed for a month - 3 weeks in Sydney and 1 week in Melbourne and resolved to return, which I did on a 1 yr temporary visa 3 years later.  I stayed for 4.5 years, moving between Mel and Syd twice but had to leave to get PR.    Returned after  3 years absence.  By that time, my skills were in less demand, so had to alternate work location between Europe and Oz.   I married and helped my wife migrate.  She had a daughter already and we have a son together.   We bought and sold 2 houses and are left with 80 ha of farmland in Victoria.  It's been hard in some respects but I feel that I made the right decision 30 years ago. 

like Wessel Appel, I reminded myself of why I was there, which helped. 

To integrate, there is no one size fits all.  Sometimes I am reminded of JFK's words " Ask what you can do for your country, not what your country can do for you".
I also live by the words of Dorothea McKellar "wherever I may die, I know to what brown country my homing thoughts will fly".

Hi,

My journey to Australia was exciting and fill with adventures.
It's probably because I came here first as a student and then decided to live here.
For me, by studying here helped as it gives you the understanding of the different cultures, people, and style of life.

I am a successful house wife now running 2 businesses, so I can't complain on that.

My tips for new comers: always be acceptable and welcome to new adventure, no experience is bad until you actually experienced it. Never turned down an opportunity just simply because everybody against it. Never stop learning, even others laugh and mocked you.

Good luck with the move.

First of all I Would like Thank you for your advice .I Have a Good Nature  And Good habit Because I am Sociable with Any Environment Condition at Hot and Coldest there is no side effect with me I am also Sociable with Any culture with any Religious.But I am Bugging you To get This Scholarship With great Interest..
                                                                                                 Thankyou
                                                                               Teklemedhn Hailay

Dear could u pls add me on your Facebook ? It  will much more easier to communicate and I'm prompt on FB.my FB I'D is ***

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Ok  ***

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

@teklemedhn and Thiben Subra

For security reasons please do not post any personal contact details on the open forum.

You should use the PM system for this. To activate your PM system you first have to post a number of topical, informative posts on the forum.