Jobs in China - Can one teach only with TEFL certification?

Hi, I am from Ocala, FL and my husband and I with our two teenagers are hoping to move overseas sometime in the later part of the summer for at least one year.

I have a BA with my TEFL certification, however, my husband only holds his TEFL certification. What are the prospects for him in teaching, say as an assistant and/or as an intern?

I know that I will be obtain my Z Visa and he/our children will have S2 Visas but under those visas it is illegal to work.

He doesn't necessarily need to teach but it would be ideal for him to have some income coming in as I believe we will need bigger living accommodations than what the teaching job can provide.

He is pretty flexible with what he does, again, he just wants to have some income coming in.

Please Advise :)

~Audrey

Hello Audrey and welcome to Expat.com

I have seen several times teaching job offers from private language centers, where they are mostly looking for native speakers with an TEFL.

So there is a good chance your husband too can find a job.

To increase chances to get jobs proposals, you may create his cv resume in the Jobs offers in China section.

Wish you all the best :top:

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

Hi Audrey,

My name is gary, we are actually looking for English tutor for our clients in Suzhou, but i guess you are not in China yet, is that right?

Please let me know when you settle down in Suzhou, we might have a class for you at the time. Thanks.

Regards

Gary

My understanding is: if you do any paid work in China, without the appropriate Visa, it is illegal.
That said, you can find work - but your 'employer' will know it is wrong and you could very well get cheated by non payment of salary near end of assignment
And you cannot do anything about it!
Also, if the authorities find out, you would be banned from visiting China again - assuming you only get deported!
Try to get work & Z visa before coming.
Also, check out other visa types that allow work such as consulting, etc.
But best of luck

Hi Audrey, it looks your hubby does need a Z visa to work in China. Alternatively, would he consider to operate his own business in China?  If so with an initial investment, he can register a company. What's his profession?

Actually no country will allow work without a permit for rewards, but for investment, govts normally won't refuse. What's your plan now? Will you like to be an English teacher in China, your hubby can come with you and kids, he may consider to open a business while kids can school here. I do believe more opportunities in China as a rapid developping nation.

Hi Audrey, I am sorry to tell you that your husband must get Z visa and then he can work in China. I strongly advise you if your husband want to seek a job in China, please make sure that he get a Z visa before he fly to China. Both you and your employer in China should consider the cost and risks seriously.