Any Updates on the newly passed 12 month tourist visa for US citizens

Kathy
I just read an article that stated the only tourist visa now for Americans is this 1 year visa. The one year visa costs 185usd all up. The old one month visa was around 70usd, therefore for someone who only wants to come here for one month they have to pay the over inflated price of 185 usd for just a one month visit. Is this correct or am I misinterpreting what's being said.

At present, all American apply for tourist visa, they are issued 1-year multiple tourist visa, not 1 month or 3 months.

So if even they just come Vietnam once time, they still get 1-year visa and pay 185$ for both visa letter and stamping fee.

KathyBrown1410 wrote:

At present, all American apply for tourist visa, they are issued 1-year multiple tourist visa, not 1 month or 3 months.

So if even they just come Vietnam once time, they still get 1-year visa and pay 185$ for both visa letter and stamping fee.

Yet again, countries like Thailand will benefit from this poorly thought out decree.

A family of four from the USA has to decide between Vietnam and Thailand,visa costs for one month in Viet Nam  740usd or Thailand, visa cost zero. It's not rocket science, but as usual it has to be complicated by greed.

My last stamp in my VEC is for 6 months

70 years old wrote:

My last stamp in my VEC is for 6 months

We may be a little off topic as this is not the VEC thread but did you get that stamp locally, or HCMC,  or at a border crossing.

In Phan Thiet, where we are registered and own a home in the same province. But, we have spent the last couple of years in Sai Gon for medical reasons.

My wife is gravely ill. But, sustainment treatment is working well. With luck we will be able to celebrate our 50th anniversary in 2023. Note, I have to provide  documentation from the hospital as part of the renewal application.

70 years old wrote:

Note, I have to provide  documentation from the hospital as part of the renewal application.

This may explain why you were allowed to renew locally.  I read of others who have to leave and return.  Amazingly there may be some compassion buried deep in the bureaucracy.

Hi guys, the 1 year multiple entry Vietnam visa for US came to effect on 25th August according to the agreement between 2 countries. Now, as US citizen, you could either get 1 year multiple entry tourist visa or 1 year multiple business visa. Even though the visa lasts for 1 year, you are allowed to stay in Vietnam continously for just 90 days then you must leave and reenter. Hope this helps! Helena Nguyen

I have been here 3 years this October. I have been married for 2 1/2 years now and she is a Vietnamese.....It seems like the rules and regulations change every week depending on someones feeling at the time. I got the paperwork for the 1 year Visa.....it's like 5-6 pages of stuff. I just stick with my passport being stamped every 3 months and just pay my $10.00USD...in fact my wife is at the District 2 police department this afternoon to pick up my passport.

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : Promotion of own website and services not allowed on the forum.

Is $10 the total cost? That sounds very cheap. I've been here for about 5 years and the last time I got a 3 month multiple entry that I needed to leave the country to do and I think it was approximately $80. How can I do it through the police here like you're doing?

Hans.b wrote:

Is $10 the total cost? That sounds very cheap. I've been here for about 5 years and the last time I got a 3 month multiple entry that I needed to leave the country to do and I think it was approximately $80. How can I do it through the police here like you're doing?

I think you will find he has a VEC as he mentioned he is married and you apply for this after getting married.

Ok, I just went to Vietnam (sept. 7th) to visit family, HCMC visa on arrival desk issued me a 1 year multi entry visa without even asking me.  I am ok with this as i travel to vietnam alot during the year. 

The story, 1 year multi entry visa issued at the visa on arrival window at HCMC airport and the costs, $135 USD.  I have a US passport. 

Hope this helps.

Arrived at Tan Son Nhat airport Saigon with invitation letter for business visa (DN), paid the posted $135 USD. Received 12 month multi-entry visa.

Went to the immigration line, where they stamped my passport to stay for 12 months, not 3 months. Not sure if that is correct, but I asked and she said 1 year.

I paid a little extra for the invitation letter because of rush and other factors, $210USD.

If you read back on this post you will see that you have to leave every three months, even the US embassy in Saigon has acknowledge this to an American lady I know.

Well, I just got off the phone with my visa middleman. He informed me that because it is a business visa(DN), I can stay for 12 months. If it were a tourist visa a exit/entry would be required every 3 months.

It is stamped for 12 months. I have 3 months to figure it out.

Yeah, it's not the 12 month visa for Americans, yours is the business visa, totally different.

7Steven wrote:

Arrived at Tan Son Nhat airport Saigon with invitation letter for business visa (DN), paid the posted $135 USD. Received 12 month multi-entry visa.

Went to the immigration line, where they stamped my passport to stay for 12 months, not 3 months. Not sure if that is correct, but I asked and she said 1 year.

I paid a little extra for the invitation letter because of rush and other factors, $210USD.

From whom did you get the letter? I'm being quoted $230 and it's not a rush.

Thanks.

You've done well Steven that's a good price for a rushed one year visa, all comes down to who you know.

colinoscapee wrote:

Yeah, it's not the 12 month visa for Americans, yours is the business visa, totally different.

Yes and no, its a combination. I have had a business visas for about 2 years now.

Previously a 12 month business visa/invitation letter was expensive and complicated. Now, at the VOA counter there is a sign that ALL Americans receive 12 month visa. Perhaps, this is a loophole for Americans to stay 12 months. I'll be damned if I do not take advantage of that loophole. That is why I posted my experience.

Intially, I was under the impression that the new 12 month visa policy was for business visas and the tourist visa just got thrown in.

@7Steven: Americans with a one-year tourist visa CANNOT stay one year. They still have to leave and re-enter the country every three months.

-JohnD- wrote:

@7Steven: Americans with a one-year tourist visa CANNOT stay one year. They still have to leave and re-enter the country every three months.

I understad that. But, do we know about the business visa? MOFA website has a 12 month stay length available for business visas.

-JohnD- wrote:
7Steven wrote:

Thanks.

As a note, the invitation letter was for 3 months. But, Americans are automatically given 12 month visas. On the application at the VOA booth I wrote in 12 months for length. This is a good deal for Americans, lets just hope it lasts.

Information about the middleman I used was sent by private messsage.

7Steven wrote:
-JohnD- wrote:
7Steven wrote:

Thanks.

As a note, the invitation letter was for 3 months. But, Americans are automatically given 12 month visas. On the application at the VOA booth I wrote in 12 months for length. This is a good deal for Americans, lets just hope it lasts.

Information about the middleman I used was sent by private messsage.

You got a good deal.  I paid $200+$95 stamping fee a day before they passed the law and was told I would get the 1yr but only got the 6mos bz visa.

Would appreciate the contact info for your middleman also :-)

Note for United States

1. Tourist visa for United States
- You can stay up to 3 months for each visit to Vietnam. After each three months, if you would like to stay more, you are required exit and come back again by air or by land then you will have another three months of staying and so on until your visa is expired.

2. Business visa for United States
You can stay up to 12 months without exiting Vietnam.

Stamping fee collected excluding service fee for a Visa Approval Letter at the Vietnam airport for US citizens is 135.00 USD.

Visa agents have historically issued approval/invitation letters anywhere from 1 month to 1 year. And they issue these letters at various prices, with 1 year the most expensive.

With the 1 year visa as the only current option, for Americans, at the Visa-on-Arrival counter (Saigon), can we use a 1 month letter to then get a 1 year visa?

Recently, a 3 month letter got me a 1 year visa. But a 1 month letter has an even lower cost.

I doubt there is anything written that could be referenced, but I would be interested in other peoples experiences and thoughts. Something tells me things will change without notice, as it typically does here.

Hi,

"US citizens only -- whenever you're about to enter Vietnam for 1 month, 3 month or 6 months, the single entry visa is no longer available. Only 1 year via for multiply entry applied. It's better & to be more flexible for your entry. This not a problem.

Fee to process visa approval letter: 1 year validity is around $30 USD/person. Get stamping fee at Vietnam airport, pay directly $135 USD in cash only. Prepared & bring also to airport your passport with at least 6 months valid, 2 passport size photo (4x6cm) each to get the stamping"

I hope it's helped,
Cheers,
Jessy

Hello My name is REESE
I am an American and yes you now have a six months stay .  When you left Vietnam and return you will automatically have a six month stay on you entry stamp. This started in 2015.
REESE

You guys got it all wrong. My visa was stamped for a whole year, not the 3 month that everyone's stated.

Hypothalamus wrote:

You guys got it all wrong. My visa was stamped for a whole year, not the 3 month that everyone's stated.

As I understand the chatter, the one year tourist visa is stamped for one year, BUT you have to leave and re-enter the country at least once every 3 months. It will be interesting, a couple months from now when the first visas hit their 3-month age, to see if this is enforced.

I decided to opt out of at least a portion of the drama by paying a little more ($180 plus stamping fee) for a one year business visa that does NOT require exiting and re-entering until the year is up. I figure the visas I don't have to buy for Cambodia at $35 each plus the bus fare plus four wasted days round trip each time (from Da Lat), will more than make up the difference after only six months.

Hypothalamus wrote:

I do not think anybody has "got it all wrong." It seems that there is no consistency with the immigration officials, which is nothing new. People are discussing their experiences, I am happy you received a stamp for a whole year.

7Steven wrote:

Visa agents have historically issued approval/invitation letters anywhere from 1 month to 1 year. And they issue these letters at various prices, with 1 year the most expensive.

With the 1 year visa as the only current option, for Americans, at the Visa-on-Arrival counter (Saigon), can we use a 1 month letter to then get a 1 year visa?

Recently, a 3 month letter got me a 1 year visa. But a 1 month letter has an even lower cost.

I doubt there is anything written that could be referenced, but I would be interested in other peoples experiences and thoughts. Something tells me things will change without notice, as it typically does here.

If you hold an American passport, why would they offer you a 1-, 3-, or 6-month visa letter? If they do, I'm thinking that will change soon enough.

Reading some of this thread, I think it is important to note the Full passport page sticker that has the validity of the visa and the ink stamp with the handwritten/stamp Length of Stay Permitted, may have different dates. Be careful not to confuse the two as it may present a problem with immigration when you depart.

if they wanted me to stay 3 months then the stamp should bear the expiration of 3 months. My stamp specifically states 'tam chu until next year'. No where on the stamp gives the expiration date of 3 months. How are they going to tell me that I have to leave or exit the country after 3 months? Most people who go on here are just reiterating the policy and haven't done the visa run like I had. What does your stamp really say?

How does one post an image on this site?  I know that if your click the landscape icon to the left of the B (BOLD)it opens a box but you are asked to enter the URL of the image.  I may be barely computer literate, but how can your image have a URL if you have not yet posted it? 

If the "contestants" can post images, we would probably see, as with many things in Vietnam, that there are two right answers.   :dumbom:

Hypothalamus wrote:

Is your visa a tourist or business visa(DN) as they are different.

I am glad to support you.

Please be answered your queries as follows:

1. If you are US Passport holder, you will be provided One Year Multiple Entry Visa only. I do not know when Vietnam Government will change this but this is the latest at this time.

2. 135 USD is required for stamping fee paid directly to Immigration Staff at Vietnam airport. This fee is only paid one time for one year visa.

3. Your passport will be valid for one year not three months. That stamp will not state that you must exit each three month when you have a visa valid for one year. However, according to Vietnam Immigration Department, they request those who have Tourist Visa to leave Vietnam after each three months or sooner but can not stay more than 3 months in Vietnam. Immigration Department will base on your date of arrival on the stamp to calculate how long you have stayed in Vietnam,

No reason for this, just a regulation and we need to obey. If we know earlier, we can keep away from troubles. In case we do not exit in time, there is a penalty for sure.  With business visa, you can stay up 12 months without exiting Vietnam each three months. May be this is a way to differentiate between tourist and business visa. And of course, business visa have more privilege than tourist visa.

We hope this information helps!

As usual another well thought out decree.

vietnamsvisa wrote:

I am glad to support you.

Please be answered your queries as follows:

1. If you are US Passport holder, you will be provided One Year Multiple Entry Visa only. I do not know when Vietnam Government will change this but this is the latest at this time.

2. 135 USD is required for stamping fee paid directly to Immigration Staff at Vietnam airport. This fee is only paid one time for one year visa.

3. Your passport will be valid for one year not three months. That stamp will not state that you must exit each three month when you have a visa valid for one year. However, according to Vietnam Immigration Department, they request those who have Tourist Visa to leave Vietnam after each three months or sooner but can not stay more than 3 months in Vietnam. Immigration Department will base on your date of arrival on the stamp to calculate how long you have stayed in Vietnam,

No reason for this, just a regulation and we need to obey. If we know earlier, we can keep away from troubles. In case we do not exit in time, there is a penalty for sure.  With business visa, you can stay up 12 months without exiting Vietnam each three months. May be this is a way to differentiate between tourist and business visa. And of course, business visa have more privilege than tourist visa.

We hope this information helps!

If they want people to leave the country every 3 months then they need to communicate that in writing or stamp the damn thing for 3 months. How the hell do we suppose to know that the stamp is only good for 3 months as it bears the expiration date of 1 year. Again, if the stamping agent communicate such requirement then I would be fine with it. Otherwise, it's just as stupid as Forest Gump!!! With all due respect, if you're a visa agent, your information is as good as mine. You're just spitting out information just like anyone else.

Holy cow, just checked my visa and I think they messed up. I got a DN visa as opposed to the tourist visa I had asked for. The guy who affixed the visa really messed up I hope. Anyways, I guess I'm good for a whole year. That was the best $5 coffee money that I had ever spent in Vietnam.