MOVING OVER LAND THAILAND to VIETNAM WE DID IT !!!!

MANY PEOPLE SAID WE COULDN'T DO IT BUT WE DID IT !!!!!

Further to our first entry THIS IS THE STORY OF OUR OVERLAND MOVE TO VIETNAM
Our local taxis man found us a VIP mini bus from Mukdahan that would come down to Sangkha and take us to Savannakhet LAOS at a cost of 8500 Baht including tip
Our dogs where vaccinated and I down loaded a Vietnamese Vet Certification form which he completed for a modest fee
We managed to sell 95% of our furniture (silly prices)
But we still had a lot of personnel effects
The van arrived 6am, he had taken out the last 2 rows of seats. But we panicked "there won't be enough room"
After 1 hour of careful packing it all just fitted in. Not a inch to spare
8am we set off our 2 dogs sitting with us
Exiting Thailand no problem arriving Laos went through immigration OK.
Because our driver crossed over many times. Customs waved us through with out checking
We stayed at the MEKONG Guest house,old in need of a refurbishment but clean and good value 400 Baht a room.
We took 2 rooms 1 for us with A/C which broke down and water heater disconnected
The other room with hot water for our luggage
Dispite what people said on TripAdvisor the Hotel for the money was OK and the Restaurant attached very good.
The Restaurant didn't open till 9am so you had to wait for your first coffee
Now Tuesday morning off to get my Vietnamese visa,trouble is Taxis driver took us to the Thai Embassy,after getting in the queue with 30 people in front of us,No seats available or shade from the sun.We soon realized the mistake, so of to the Vietnamese Embassy.
To my surprise NO QUEUE, they where very polite and helped me with the form which cost for 3 months visa 2500 Baht
Unfortunately could not collect till 4pm the next day
So back to the Hotel for a Laos Beer.
Collected my visa, still no queue. Found another mini bus to take us to Hoi an 13000Baht including tip
So 4am the next day loaded up and off we set.
Through immigration OK. Then Vietnamese  customs , they started to unload and put our belonging through X ray after 2-3 boxes we came to an arrangement.
Re the dogs, they saw the dogs in the van but no check no look at certificates etc.
They weren't bothered
Now we in Vietnam on our way to Hoi an
5kms down the road another passport check. All OK
I was very surprised at the Vietnamese terrain very hilly lush green and plenty of rivers
I do not know if it was a special day but on our journey we saw 10 plus Wedding Tents ( red & white drapes)
The driver was very good but once in Vietnam his driving changed Beep Beep went his horn when every he saw another vehicle or motorbike
We arrived at our House which we had only seen via the internet.Its lovely.fully furnished hot water TV and internet
The following day we signed the lease and registered at the local Police station
We have now 95% unpacked and going to explore Hoi an
So in conclusion if anybody is thinking about moving to Vietnam.Overland isn't a problem.
If anybody needs help or advise please contact me
Thank you for reading this can you find it useful
Roy & Nau

Prasat

Welcome To Vietnam. I think your journey is interesting . I hope you have many good days in here

Cam  on
Looking forward to exploring Hoi an
Now to find School for May
Motorbike
Large Prawns and Crabs ( you do not get them in Sangkha)
Roy & Nau

1,) Consider yourself lucky!

and

2.)  Enjoy the honeymoon period while it lasts.

Sorry I do not understand
I have a 3 months visa which I understand can be extended back to back
I have registered with the police
Whats the problem
Why can I not retire here????
Roy

"Immigration laws change frequently in Vietnam, so you need to check the current visa requirements when youre ready to make your application."

Now there's an understatement, though it should read "...check, re-check, then confirm from another source, then re-re-check first, re-check second, confirm from a third source, repeat x ∞."

Vietnam - Come experience our kinder and gentler visa process.

P.S.  Don't forget to pack a suitcase full of cash!

It can not be any worse than Thailand for farangs