New to Expat.com

Hello; My husband has retired and I will be doing the same in the near future. Our son-in-law of 20+ years is from Honduras,his family still lives there and he and our daughter have purchased land and are already in the process of building a home for their retirement in Honduras. So, when we began to think about the possibility of moving out of the States, Honduras was our first choice. I have so many questions about the entire process I hardly know where to begin. lol We would love to communicate with someone who can give us honest, objective information about living there. I know from my son-in-law that there are some very dangerous areas, but I also know that there are dangerous areas in every city! Safety is my biggest concern. My husband has more practical questions such as the availability of internet, internet speed, satellite t.v. and the local attitude towards gringos. So, if anyone would be so kind as to educate us we would really appreciate the unvarnished truth.  Thanks.

Where did they purchase property in Honduras?   Try the coast line of mainland Honduras, new developments to the East of La Ceiba all the way to Trujillo, La Ceiba has a lot more to offer as a city and also the rainforest and ocean, with the advantaje that you are just 40 mintues by ferry to the islands and other destinations and offers the best affordable prices, cost of living etc.

Thank you for your response. I'm not sure of the exact location of their property. I know he was from the     San Pedro Sula area. Not the city it's self but that area of the country. I do not believe that is the area he bought his land in. I will have to ask. Thank you so much.

If safety is your biggest concern, San Pedro Sula is not the best option, Goverment and Police are doing a great job right now, crime went down this year 30 points, almost 25%, but, there much more to do.  If you avoid some places and use common sense, nothing should happen.  Estimation is that this year crime should lower another 10 points.  Things are looking good for the first time in years.