5 good reasons for NOT moving to Honduras

Hi guys,

as a complement to the thread "5 good reasons for moving to Honduras", I propose you the opposite discussion.

What would be your 5 top reasons for NOT moving to Honduras ?

Many thanks,

Julien

1. Don't like taxis

2. If you need zoning (can have chicken shack next to million $ home)

3. Need perfect streets

4. Can't stand unpainted walls

5. If you don't like police checkpoints

Rainy season can put a hamper on your mood.

Rainy season is similar to Florida. But we have to look at the good point...all the beautiful tropical foliage is kept alive. Staying in doors does change your mood though

In my experience Honduras is really safe and the locals there are extremely friendly. You just need to take precautions (similar to anywhere in world)

-Dont travel alone at night
-Leave all valuables in the hotel room (in a safe) or at home
-Don't carry more cash than you need to

It is beyond corrupt!! Astounding!  Ecuador sounds much better.  notg so much crime. prices reasonable.  new info for me.  Marianane

If not happy living in Honduras you have the choice to leave and live somewhere else we bought out here at LA ceiba beach club from Chris and all is great love the country and our home life is only what you make of it

who   SAID I AM NOT HAPPY?  iT IS WHAT IT IS AND FOLKS IN DENIAL GET SCREWED IN THE END.  oNE MUST PAY ATTENTION!  tHIS IS NOT HEAVEN AND IT IS A THIRD WORLD COUNTRYBASED IN CORRUPTION AND VIOLENCE... lIVE WITH THE REALITY OR AS YOU SAY leave!!!  bUT STOP THE BULL SHI....NG  SINCERELY YOURS mARIANNE/ CARETAKER

it's funny, but it seems to me that both Sasha and Caretaker are correct, it's how you CHOOSE to see it, like anywhere I guess. I see both their points having lived in both Ceiba and down the road in Puerto Barrios, Guatemala, there is, however, no doubt that life is somehow cheaper there...

Okay, my five reasons to NOT move there would be:
1) Hurricanes
2) Petty crime that is off the chart at times
3) sorry, that was all I could think of...

[Moderated: off topic]

Pedro.... The Honduras coast as you know runs east to west and is not in the hurricane belt. You can simply Google Caribbean hurricanes and go to photos and there will be charts showing all hurricanes in The Caribbean and Central America since the 1940's. They tend to curve off north to Belize and Mexico.

Chris,  There was a hurricane here in 1998.  Mitch.  Also before that bout 20 years before there was Fifi.  So.. although there are not a lot of hurricanes there are some.   By the way I was here for Mitch.  Roofing materials flew off roofs,  Najor damage was done tothe poorer structures on the coast. people died and cattle were lost. So.. trty and tell yhe truth.  Ckeck yout facts.  Caretaker

caretaker wrote:

Chris,  There was a hurricane here in 1998.  Mitch.  Also before that bout 20 years before there was Fifi.  So.. although there are not a lot of hurricanes there are some.   By the way I was here for Mitch.  Roofing materials flew off roofs,  Najor damage was done tothe poorer structures on the coast. people died and cattle were lost. So.. trty and tell yhe truth.  Ckeck yout facts.  Caretaker

I state only facts. Honduras is NOT in the hurricane belt.
Below is a chart where hurricanes have stated throughout the years and the paths. You can see that hurricanes tend to head north.   

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=car … edIndex=10

I'm originally from Florida so I do understand and have been through hurricanes many times. Most of the deaths from Mitch were from flooding And Hondurans not knowing what to do because there are few hurricanes here in Honduras.

Two major hurricanes in 50+ years is not bad at all considering the country is located in Central America with a coast that is aside The Caribbean.

Courtesy is not a strong point here, although certain establishments have excellent service.

Crime, although that has improved dramatically.

San Pedro Sula is extremely dirty, although La Ceiba and Tegucigalpa are much cleaner.

The roads have a lot of pot holes, dangerous and tough on cars.

Much of the country is extremely hot.

The side roads in the country are horrible

It's a game trying to avoid the potholes/crevices

And people are very two faced at times ...even family ;(

As a honduran, I know my country has more than five problems. We ourselves complain a lot. I personally tried to move to Utopia (USA and Europe) but I came back to the best country I know. Saludos cordiales