Moving to Port Harcourt with a baby?

My husband has been offered a job in Port Harcourt. Most probably we will be living in the Aba Road Camp – Port Harcourt. We have a 9 months old baby. Can somebody give me some information? Is it safe to come there with a baby? Are there other families with so young babies?How high is the malaria risk? Are there any good paediatricians? Please give me any kind of information. Thank you in advance

Welcome to Expat.com, Dundula!

I hope you'll soon get some accurate insight from other members living in the region!

Have a nice day further
Arlette

Port Harcourt (PH) is a nice place to live!

Yes, there are very good hospitals and lots of families with babies in the area! Having said that, you have to find out about safe places to visit due to kidnap cases which is quite high in PH.

My wife and I came to Nigeria in 1996 with a 9 month old child, who never contracted malaria until a few years later in Gabon.

Read the recommendations....cover them up, prevention is always better than a cure

Hi dundula,

I been living in Lagos, Nigeria from last 5 months, I hold an Indian Passport and am a IT/Telecom consultant. My present business commitment in Nigeria has brought me here.

Port Harcourt: Area in and around PH are primarily oil producing belts. Lots of expat staff stays here with their family and kids. Most oil and telecommunication companies have their own compounds with tight security. Few consulates have their embassy schools. There are few decent hospitals but you cannot compare them with one in Europe. Make sure your family lands here after getting a vaccination in yellow fever which is very lethal. People are smart here. Always thinking of ways to extort money out of you. Make sure you do not travel alone post sunset. The real problem is with Area boys. They can be real pain.

Lagos: I stay in Lagos and has traveled a lot to Abuja/capital and Port Harcourt. What I said above is similar to Lagos but night life is much better here. Money is also great but its damn expensive as Nigeria produces less of itself and imports most of the stuff from europe/china/india. I would suggest you carry essential drugs, items while traveling to this place. Also make sure you eat and dine only at select good places as Nigeria has one of the highest HIV+ population. Make sure no cut salads and beer ice in clubs. I did suffer from malaria here last month but its ok now. Again Area boys are real nuisance at some places here like lagos island and bar beach. Maids comes here for any where Naira 20000 to 30000 (Do not pay more than this).Pretty good schools in Lagos. With Expats American Embassy school and ILS are popular. I did hear one British embassy school but never saw it. Make sure you get you maid blood tested before hiring. I do that every month. Its a more polygamous society.

Abuja: Its a well planned and a beautiful place. I liked it. People are also much controlled. Basic problem with health and sanitation stays the same.

In nutshell. Money is great here. Provided one is into Oil, Telecom sector. Beware of strangers they can dupe you. Make sure your company gives your office accommodation, transport and expat health cover which is a must. I find items here more expensive then India or Denmark. As far as packed water goes only try Cascade or Ragolis. You wont find 20 litres pets of EVA, Aquafina or Kinley or perrier. In hospital make sure the syringe they use for vaccination is new. Better buy drugs yourself. Local drugs manufactured here are of no guarantee.Also be careful, seeing your skin colour officials may demand money at airport here in Nigeria they demand money where ever they deem it fit. Take care of sanitation in offices here. I like weather here. Though port harcourt and lagos are port cities but with very less humidity. Avg temp is here 25-30 degrees celcius. With time you would get used to the culture. 

In nigeria there are 16 tribes, prominent are Igbo in PH and delta state ie east of river niger, Yoruba are west of river niger both the tribes believe in Christianity, North of Niger is tribe Housa, they follow islam.

I am just waiting for my next posting in europe.

Thanks and Regards

Ankit