How does being an Expat, make it easier to live in Ireland?

I live in the US and really want to move and live in Ireland for the rest of my life. I can't seem to get a straight answer as to what being an Expat does for me in the long run. I know I can visit in the UK at long as 6 months and the EU for 3 months and the EEC for 3 months. Does being an expat mean I can just come over, denounce my US connection and live in Ireland.
Can someone please clear this up for me, I am so confused.

Kim

Hello Kimberrmason4813 and welcome to https://www.expat.com

Expatriating involves a lot of formalities. Expatriating is same as immigrating to another country.

You will have to get the visas and other formalities from the concerned government authorities.

Many expatriate upon retirement, or for work & Studies. Getting visa for the country you want is always a tedious task.

Maybe the Living in Ireland Guide can help you a bit.

The best thing for you would be to seek for help from an immigration consultant.

Regards
Kenjee

You can't just give up US citizenship and move to Ireland, it doesn't work like that. There isn't really "being an expat". An expat is just someone who lives outside of the country they are from.

Unless you are in a very desirable field of work (usually medical or tech) or you come over as a student on a student visa, you won't likely have any other means of moving to and staying in Ireland outside of a 3 month visitor pass (which does not give you permission to work). The only other option is if you were in a relationship with an Irish citizen and you petitioned on behalf of that relationship to remain in the country.

Kimberrmason4813 wrote:

Does being an expat mean I can just come over, denounce my US connection and live in Ireland.
Can someone please clear this up for me, I am so confused.

Kim

As someone else mentioned, being an expat simply means to live outside your native home country.  Doing so does not imply renouncement of citizenship or ties to your home country.  Renouncement of US citizenship can only take place usually when you hold citizenship of another country, which only occurs usually after years of living abroad in another country.  Even then, nothing is automatic or guaranteed.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Hello,

I am not sure about immigration laws in Ireland, but if you are able to find a job that will sponsor your work visa, it will make the process much easier and expedited.  But the annual work visa is not cheap, approx 300 euros or more now. 

Also it depends on where you want to move to.  Dublin is not cheap to move into, rent is expensive, and houses are really expensive to buy as well.  Everything is expensive in Ireland, especially eating out.  Taxes are exceptionally high, unless you intend to retire there and not work. 

Why do you want to move to Ireland?  It is culturally very very VERY different.  People are friendly , but will not let you into their lives, meaning you will find yourself in the first 5-8 years, not really knowing anyone as close friends.  Its just the Irish thing... they don't trust anyone...