Live in Cuenca - Be Happy to Answer Questions About Life in Ecuador

Hi there,

I just joined expat.com and discovered the Forums. I'm always interested in helping prospective expats with straight answers about Ecuador, especially Cuenca.

I moved here - sight unseen, but after lots of research - from Seattle two years ago, and love it. I tell people I have zero regrets and have had no unpleasant surprises.

It IS different, though. You have to come prepared to accept the ways of this second-world country, and not expect things to be done anything like in the U.S. Especially bureaucratic processes. It recently took me nine months to get my driver's license! If you can't laugh at it, you're going to be miserable.

I hear a lot of nonsense in the cafes from Gringos sitting at nearby tables, and could stand to not set the record straight on many things. So I wrote a book entitled: "Relocating to Ecuador - Eyes Wide OPEN: Quick reading, bulleted do's and don'ts that the author wishes had been available to clarify things before his own move to Cuenca." It addresses a multitude of the *street-level* details of living here that contribute much to quality of life and sense-of-well-being. It's available on Kindle or in softcover at Amazon if you're interested: amazon.com/gp/product/1515332993?keywords=relocating to ecuador&qid=1448912176&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

And I would be happy to answer follow-up questions you might have.

I hope to see you in Cuenca one of these days.

Best regards,

Terry Roberts

Are there areas outside of Cuenca where one can live in a country home yet able to walk/bike into the city? I like what Cuenca has to offer expats but not interested in living in an apartment or suburb. Thanks in advance!

I am concerned about the increasing level of volcanic activity.  What is the news and or thoughts from the locals.  Cuenca does not seem to be in the path of any but I would expect a major eruption(s)  would dump ash on the city and perhaps block roads and airports.  Would love to hear what folks are thinking about this.

Terry I have lived here 4 years and consider myself a resident.  I suggest two things to foreigners keep negative talk for home alone only.  Also before the move here take Spanish lesson immediately no faster ha.
Its more important then they think start now.
Also added advise put a roll of toilet paper in your purse at all times and a bottle of water you will remember my advise. 

I have other tips but I will keep them to myself.  I have plenty.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question.

Yes there are communities all around the fringes of Cuenca. But they are well populated for all the reasons you state. It's not that there are many "developments" as we know them in the U.S. It's mostly individual homes, many on "farm-ettes" of, say, one to five acres. But you would have neighbors all around. And visible, neighboring homes would range greatly from run-down hovels with chickens, etc. in the yards to very nice, newly constructed homes with a Mercedes in the driveway.

Prices for housing rentals and purchases are accordingly lower than in the city. I'm not a housing expert, but my impression from ads I see is that a rent that's, say, $600 in the Cuenca might be $275 - $300 for an equivalent in outlying areas. A home costing $150,000 in Cuenca might sell for $90,000 - $110,000 in an outlying area.

From those areas, you can get into Cuenca by bike, bus and taxi.

Keep in mind that, generally speaking, the further out of Cuenca you get, the fewer Gringos you would have around you, which means few English-speakers. In fact, it would be wise to assume all your neighbors would speak only Spanish. To some that's a plus, to others a negative.

Hope that helps.

Terry

Hi.

I think it's safe to say that for the vast majority of Cuenca expats, volcanic activity is the furthest things from their minds. Yes, they see the stories about the current activity nearer Quito in the news, but that doesn't concern them - that activity must be at least eights hours drive away.

That said, the Ecuadorian Andes is a string of many volcanoes, so anything is possible in the future from volcanos that haven't shown activity in eons.

It should be said that Ecuador has very little in the way of volcano disaster planning. During recent activity near Quito, they evacuated  a modest number of people at the height of the activity, but they went moved back home after a few days. People got vocal about lack of preparation and advice, in response to which the government distributed a large number of simple face masks like dentists wear. There has been negative impact from ash compromising crops, but we hear very little about such details in Cuenca.

Needless to say, each person needs to weigh such risks for themselves, and people's sensitivity to such things vary hugely. For example, *everyone* could worry about the fact that if the enormous magma chamber under Yellowstone National Park blew, it has been calculated that the ash could cause a world-wide winter for several years, causing mass extinctions due to crop failure among other things. Yet how many do anything to avoid that risk? Indeed, what *could* you do to avoid that risk?

Hope that puts some perspective on it.

Terry

Thank you that does help.

smmr, I'd love to hear more of your tips.

Can someone tell me why gringos have such a hard time getting drivers licence??? I am a gringo and have lived here 5 years. I got my first licence for my motorcycle 4 years ago. It took 1 day. I got my 2nd licence 2 years ago for my car. It took a whole 3 days that is after I got a copy of my driving record from the states.. Whats the problem??

And within the spectrum of such stories lies the mysteries.

Terry

Thank you, I am coming in June to see Cuenca and then plan to relocate if it is what I expect.  I will most definitely get you book before I bother you with questions.

Sally

Cuenca welcomes you!

Terry