Postal Service (Correo Nacional) Service in Panama?>?

Although I don't know which forum to apply this question but does anyone know how well (or not) does the Panamanian Postal Service works if I were to send a package from the U.S. to the province of Veraguas? I've heard the horror stories, but does anyone have true intel on this? Thanks...

H

Some say it works fine, though it is very slow. We had a legal document size envelop sent to David from the US and it took forever! (2-3 months). Since then we've decided it's worth it to pay for a mailing service. But, if it doesn't matter how long it takes the regular mail is cheaper, and it should get here eventually. (said from my very limited experience)

Thanks for your reply...How does the "mailing service" work? Hopefully you won't need a mailbox of something similar....

H

One time I had a regular sized envelope (just a birthday wishes card) sent me from Italy to my P.O. Box in Panama, and another time a small packet. They both arrived... after a very long time (about a couple of months).

I have no idea how it can possibly take that long, cause I'm sure from Italy they get sent to Panama by air, and after 4 or 5 days are at the destination's closest airport. So I guess once here they sit on them for a while before delivering.

- Adriano

forget about it

don't try it , take it with you...ask a friends who is traveling...don't trust the panama postal service

Mailboxes Etc are in Panama, and there are other similar services as well. You can pay a monthly fee for a certain amount of weight, or just pay per envelope/package. You get a Miami address to send things to, and they send it along to Panama where you will be notified to come pick it up. It costs more but you get your package in 1-2 weeks, more or less. Just off the top of my head I'm guessing $5/envelope, $6-7/pound, though you can pay a lot more if it's an oversize package. We rarely use the service since living in Panama has cured any on line shopping habits. I also have mail going to my daughters house (in the USA) where she can scan/email anything important. But, it's a nice service to have when you really need something sent, or need to send something out.

Hidalgo49 wrote:

Thanks for your reply...How does the "mailing service" work? Hopefully you won't need a mailbox of something similar....

H

Oh, don't give up your on-line shopping habits!  We've ordered from Amazon with our Miami shipping address and received our packages within a week or two.  A bit more expensive but works like magic...

LOL. Oh yes, I know it can be done. Friends order on line all the time. But, we are on a budget and once you have shorts and flip flops, what else do you really need?

mvInterlude wrote:

Oh, don't give up your on-line shopping habits!  We've ordered from Amazon with our Miami shipping address and received our packages within a week or two.  A bit more expensive but works like magic...

I have been around Panama for 11 years.......used the post office to send and receive all kinds of stuff......the price is cheap, and I have never lost anything, coming or going....I have sent some big checks to the IRS etc....never a problem.   It does take some time.