Moving to Puerto Rico

I will be moving to Puerto Rico very soon and I wanted to know if someone can share their experiences with me. What's school have your children gone to? Were you happy with the school? How far from the school do you live?  We  have two options: Robinson and Baldwin. What is better? Why?
Thanks!!

Mazzyy wrote:

We  have two options: Robinson and Baldwin. What is better? Why?
Thanks!!

Both are good schools. People who have (had) kids at one of them will say that one is better. :)
Kids of friends of ours went to Baldwin and they all were full of praise.

Since traffic is heavy in the metro area I'd choose the school that is closer to home. If you are going to live in Condado go for Robinson, if you will live in Guaynabo go for Baldwin. A one way trip from Condado to Guaynabo or the other way around can easily take 45 minutes during rush hour.

Or simply chose home schooling . Lots of support groups on that part of the island. Education is expensive on the island .Sending your kids to college he is lit cheaper then private education

Thank you very much! Your input is very helpful. We are very excited to be moving there next week. We've been there many times and really have enjoyed it every time we're there. We will be living in condado, it seems to be a nice area.  We are leaning towards Robinson because it's very close to the house. 🤔😬😀

Mazzyy wrote:

Thank you very much! Your input is very helpful. We are very excited to be moving there next week. We've been there many times and really have enjoyed it every time we're there. We will be living in condado, it seems to be a nice area.  We are leaning towards Robinson because it's very close to the house. 🤔😬😀

We chose a Spanish language school for our daughter and have been very happy. How old are your kids & is there any particular reason that you would not do a Spanish private school?

Welcome to the forum, Mazzyy! I hope you will share your experiences of the move and getting settled with us here.

Thank you for your quick response, my children are 11 and 6.  The reason we are choosing an English  speaking school is because they have come from an international baccalaureate model of school. We currently live in Indiana, but they have gone to school also in Colombia.  We want to continue with a fully bilingual education.  Can you tell me how life is in Puerto Rico? Have you enjoyed it? What are the pros and cons?  Thank you very much! 😊

Hi Mazzy! 

I would forget about Baldwin in Guaynabo If you are going to live in Condado...I would definitely chose the school closet to you. It will make your life easier and you won't be stuck in Traffic. You may even be close enough to walk your children to school and you can avoid driving.

The best schools in Condado are Robinson School and St. John School. They are both excellent schools with a good reputation and have been around a long time over 100 years. They are actually both right next to each other so I would choose the one you like better.

If you can afford it is worth every penny...public schools are not good here and personally I don't think homeschooling is for everyone.

Also you don't have to worry about your children learning Spanish in an English School because they will pick it up. These schools are taught in English but you will notice that people still speak Spanish in the Hallways etc. My kid is in English Pre-K and he is already speaking Spanish. If your kids are here long enough they will be Bilingual. 

Another school to consider is there is a nice Montessori in Santurce very close to Condado. The tuition is probably half the cost of Robinson or St. John....I know many people that go there and it is very good.

Here is a pretty accurate list of the Top Schools in PR.
Top Private Schools in PR

Link to St. Johns School
St. Johns School Condado

Mazzyy wrote:

Thank you for your quick response, my children are 11 and 6.  The reason we are choosing an English  speaking school is because they have come from an international baccalaureate model of school. We currently live in Indiana, but they have gone to school also in Colombia.  We want to continue with a fully bilingual education.  Can you tell me how life is in Puerto Rico? Have you enjoyed it? What are the pros and cons?  Thank you very much! 😊

Some people have difficulty adjusting; however if you are used to life in Latin America, you & the kids will do fine, IMO. I have visited but never lived in Bogota (I loved it, BTW), but from what I hear it may be even more difficult to get things done in PR than in Colombia - cultivation of patience is required. It is also a bit calmer in San Juan than in Bogota. Drivers are not so crazy in PR & crossing the street with kids, etc. is easier. Traffic is challenging, but Bogota has notorious traffic jams, so that will be familiar. The public schools have a bad reputation, but private schools (Robinson & some others excepted) are reasonably affordable & good. You can drink the tap water in PR.... I'm not sure what else to say unless you have more specific questions. It is a place with a wonderful, colorful, culture & history, and a generally warm, friendly people. Good universities, good museums, a reasonable cost of living, excellent climate....

Hi, welcome to PR!
I looked at those schools as well as Tasis and St John, and ended up at St John. I like the high school academic program. feel free to message me if you have any questions! We live right in the area as well so i'm happy to help you get settled :)
Suzanne

And one more thing... those schools are all English based, and of course they will use their Spanish, but they are not bilingual schools! Just so you know :)

Hello,

Welcome to PR! We moved to Condado from North Carolina last month.  I have 3 children, 6 , 9 and 12.  I cannot help with school as we decided to keep our children in an NC academic based online program for the remainder of this year. 

Safe Travels and Welcome.

Betsy

Thank you so much  for your response. We arrived  to Puerto Rico last night. Your reply was very useful and has lots of detailed information. Thank you as well for the link. I will take all this information into consideration when I finally make a decision regarding my children's education. It's so difficult to do when you are in a new place. We are praying for the best and hope to make the most appropriate and the wisest decisions regarding everything here in Puerto Rico.

Im jealous, I want to move to the island.
Welcome and hope all is well for you and your family. Are you at your rental unit, hotel or a house you purchased?
I assume you are in the Condado / San Juan area.
Since you are coming from Columbia, you should have no problem with the language.
Nice time to move, enjoy the parrandas.

Thank you so much! Yes we live in a condado.  We purchased an apartment here. We are very excited to be here and the weather is great. And yes, I am so happy that everyone speaks Spanish.  I will be writing about my experience in the schools and how everything has gone for us as a family.

Awesome, we moved from Indiana but we previously lived in Colombia.  Yes we are living in Cindado.  We have two boys. One is six and the other is 11. It will be nice to get to know you .

Please, Add to your writting about the decision process to come to the island, preparations you went thru for the move and about what it was like to settle down into the island for the first month or so. Obviously we want to hear how the kids felt after the move and what they like and dislike.

Yes, what Rey has said.  We'd love to hear all about and your impressions.

How has the move gone?  We live here in Indy and are making the move to PR this summer.  I'm originally from PR but my wife is Mexican and my kids have grown up in Indiana.  What advise would you give me ?

Mazzyy, please come back and report on your move.  I'm anxiously waiting, haha  :D

Hi,
Can you recommend any homeschooling groups or communities I can connect with while we are here.  I will be online schooling my 7 year old son.

Does he speak any Spanish? There is a library with English activities (next to a church with some too!) in Guayanabo but you'll have to see what they offer while you are here.  Does he swim or interested in swimming? Our club swim team practice is every day. Not sure what else, though I know there are lots of home schoolers in PR, hopefully some will speak up. My friend who homeschooled just left, but her kids swam and took spanish classes.

Thanks, he does not speak Spanish yet -- we are going to get him a tutor.