Cost of Living in Shanghai for 5 months

I have an offer to move to Shanghai and I am offered 19000 RMB. But I would be moving alone in pudong region. Considering the cost of living I am confused whether i can survive and save anything. Since this is my first visit, I have no clue of local language and do not have option, Can some one tell me what is the rent of 1 BHK Semi Furnish Flat ? whether i can survive and save any money ? Are the indian food easily available ?
Also can someone tell me how much will be the tax which i have to pay ?

Hi Sandeep_Mahajan,so you mean you  have been offered of 19000 per month?I have never been to shanghai before,though my farther works there.Actually ,I think it is good enough for you live in shanghai,as for whether you can save money or not,then depends how you would spend your money.Not every corner in shanghai is really expensive,So I think you should get to know about this city first.for exampe,you can google"are there some excellent Indian restaurant  with reasonale in shanghai "I know it is hard to be accustomed to a new environment but  you will be just fine,give yourself more time.ENJOY YOURSELF IN SHANGHAI .

Hi Clare213
Thanks for the information...it is really helpful for me :)

I believe that it would be tough to live off of 19,000 RMB for 5 months AND be able to save. Do not quote me on this, but be prepared to pay some where around  6000 RMB per month. for a flat. There are  other options available. I can refer you to a gentlemen from your country that relocated to Shanghai for work and can share his story with you first hand. You might want to consider sharing a flat to cut down on your expenses or moving outside of the city where the rent is significantly cheaper,as we do.
Indian cuisine is available in abundance, however none Chinese cuisines have a tendency to not be budget friendly. As far as taxes are concerned, 19000  RMB is 3800 RMB  a month, which should be roughly 105 RMB, but there again...don't quote because there are exceptions and deductions that can be made for your rent under certain circumstances.
You may also go to numbeo.com to get estimate cost of living.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the information , actually I forgot to mentioned that i got the offer of 19000 RMB Per month and i will be staying for 5 Months in shanghai Pudong ... It will be great that if i can get any indian Partner for sharing the Room !! The Amount which i have mentioned is without Tax Cutting .... so please let me know how much Tax will be cut from the mentioned amount !! How much amount i will be able to save from this ?

Hello, please message me directly at xxx for further details. Thanks!

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct