Apt ads as expensive as in Europe

How come all the ads are as expensive as the ones in Europe? Is there a price for expats and a price for locals? Morocaans cannot pay 1200$ per month! I was in Sale(close to the  Marina) in 2013 and found a lovely furnished appartment for 350$ per month,electricity included...2 bedroom,2 bathroom ...4 building guarded complex close to the grocery store and the souks

I agree with your post 100%! They're asking like 6,000 dirhams for tiny studio apartments. Completely ridiculous! If you find out where to find legitimately priced apartments please let me know, thanks.

That's a problem foreigners (without any connections/family/friends etc) face in any country, particularly in the third world. Why not get a trusted local if you want a local price. Sometimes that's a problem in itself, finding someone who can be trusted to help you without helping themselves! Or find other expats, who might be willing to share their knowledge/experience in dealing with this issue. After all, they were once in your situation, and have since found a way out. In such countries, it really is all about the connections you have. Coming alone, without knowing anyone, is asking to be ripped-off.

Um... Thanks for your wisdom buddy. But isn't it up to the land lords which price to pay? Not some dude at a coffee shop who speaks English and "knows everything".

I have family, friends and connections here and I'm making connections with expats. I'm not a sucker or a chump, you can bet I won't get ripped off. Knowing or not knowing anyone. I don't understand what you're telling me or why your giving me your opinion... It's not helpful at all.

Maybe because I wasn't talking to you. I'm talking to the Canadian expat who appears to be coming alone. I did things alone and ended up with 'expat' prices in basically everything, until I found someone who helped me out.

yes,I had a *trusted* friend.He found me a beautiful furnished apt. It cost 7000 dhms per month........I found out later that he pocketed 1000dhms. I was quite hurt but learned my lesson and quit the apt after only one month. A real friend found another apt for 3500dhms . Just be careful who you choose as friends. Usually someone with a job is a better choice.
Most people are very poor and don't consider taking *slight* advantage of you as a bad thing. They seem to honestly think they should receive a % like an agent  :(

It has been my experience as an American that there are property owners who market their property towards internationals rather than locals.  The property owner that market towards locals often don't advertise their property.  Those places are usually found by asking around and doing footwork. Having a locsl agent to do that saved us alot of money

Nebraska girl how's it going? Do you have any contact information or any information at all about "local agent"? I appreciate your input.

Youssef84103 wrote:

Nebraska girl how's it going? Do you have any contact information or any information at all about "local agent"? I appreciate your input.

That is a subjective term....agent.
My contacts for apartments in Marrakech are via my family. We have never used a professional agent, therefore I really don't know any. At one time my husband knew a couple, but for the most part they don't advertise their services either. Most agents get their business via walkup inquiries and referals from locals in the neighborhoods.
Seriously,  if you want to find a good apartment in a nice area and want to get it at a reasonable rate, then you, a friend or family member, or someone you hire needs to get out there in that area and talk to people...security guards,  hair dressers, coffee shop people, grocery stores clerks. I have moved 3 times in Marrakech.  Each time we never waited long. We usually found our Apartment simply by asking "What is available in the area?" and offering up 200 MAD to someone who thinks he might know of something. Doing it that way We usually had our pick of options because we got more offers than we could use.

Youssef84103 wrote:

That is a subjective term....agent.
My contacts for apartments in Marrakech are via my family. We have never used a professional agent, therefore I really don't know any. At one time my husband knew a couple, but for the most part they don't advertise their services either. Most agents get their business via walkup inquiries and referals from locals in the neighborhoods.
Seriously,  if you want to find a good apartment in a nice area and want to get it at a reasonable rate, then you, a friend or family member, or someone you hire needs to get out there in that area and talk to people...security guards,  hair dressers, coffee shop people, grocery stores clerks. I have moved 3 times in Marrakech.  Each time we never waited long. We usually found our Apartment simply by asking "What is available in the area?" and offering up 200 MAD to someone who thinks he might know of something. Doing it that way We usually had our pick of options because we got more offers than we could use.

Did you notice? 2 new ads have just been posted for Rabat..14,000drms(800$ can) and 20000 drms(1100$canadian) Can you believe it???? These could EASILY be half price even for furnished apts!!!