Working as a freelancer in Puerto Rico

Hi,

A lot of expats dream of becoming self-employed: we would like to help you to make that dream come true.

Can foreigners work as self-employed in Puerto Rico? What are the formalities to work as a freelancer?

What are the pros and cons of this status: social security, tax system, etc.?

How is the freelance market in Puerto Rico?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

I know lots of people hear complain about the permits. One person I know is a native here and has been waiting more then 3 months for his permits to sell ice cones here they are called paugue here. Not sure about the spelling

sandrarduncan wrote:

One person I know is a native here and has been waiting more then 3 months for his permits to sell ice cones here they are called paugue here.

'piragua' - pronounced "peer - agua" ;)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piragua_%28food%29

To me a freelance is somebody working for themselves.
Unless the person is fluent in spanish or will only do business with English speaking people, it would be hard to have any business.
Besides most business go broak in the fist year to 3 years in the US. With the economy in PR being bad, the chances of failure are high.
As to foreigners, i assume tou mean non-US Citizens, since PR is part of the US, you need a working Visa/permit to do any type of work anywhere in the US, the same in PR.

if you are a US citizen or have the working permit, you can work in the island the same way as the islanders, if you are setting a business you also need the specific permits the same as in any orher state.