Cost of living in Zurich

Hi,
I am being offered a job in Switzerland (Zurich) by my employer in India. I am in IT professional and the salary offered is 95K per year including tax. Now before making the final decision, I would like to know few things. Initially I will be living alone and then joined by my wife after few months.

1) Is my salary on par with others in IT industry considering I have 6 years of experience. How much are the taxes in Switzerland?

2) what is the average rent for a furnished 1BHK house in Zurich.

3) How much does the insurance cost for an individual?

4) How much are the other expenses like food, other household stuff.

Please consider living as a normal and not a lavish one.

It would be great if you guys can guide be so that I can make a good decision.

Hi,

you can find almost all the answers in the guide section.
food is expensive, but consider you can have a good lunch in a self service restaurant for 15CHF, restaurants cost around 100CHF for a very good dinner. Probably you can consider 10CHF per meal if you cook yourself.

Salary looks ok, depends of your speciality, but anyway ok for living and save money.

Thanks for the reply.
The information provided is very vast at the moment and depends of the many other factors. I am looking for some brief understanding of the expenses like accommodation, insurance, food etc.

that is quite vague, have a look at the price of renting, it's highly dependent of what you want...being inside or outside zurich, 3 pieces or 4 pieces, appartment, house...
for the insurance, count about 200CHF a year for the house, 200-300CHF for disease insurance(mandatory), car insurance (depends of your car), what else?
food, already responded.

Hitesh,

I can tell you my approximate monthly fixed costs. This should enable you to get a clearer view.

Assuming there are no other allowances and no 13th salary, then your monthly gross salary is 7'917 CHF.

- Taxes (assuming you live in Canton Zurich, are single w/o kids, not Christian): 728 CHF
- Social security: Depends on your company, let's say approx. 750 CHF
- Housing 1-BR in an average location (Hoengg): 1'200 CHF
- Health insurance: 170 CHF (cheapest option)
- Monthly rail pass: 275 CHF
- Subsidized lunch in the company's canteen: 185 CHF
- Garbage bags: 20 CHF
- Haircut: 30 CHF
- Internet: 75 CHF
====================
Disposable income net of fixed costs: Approx. 4'500 CHF

I budget approx. 850 CHF per month for normal food / meals, that leaves you around 3'650 CHF. If you often enjoy dining out and going out for a drink on weekends, budget another 800 CHF for such expenses. Thus, I'd say you can realistically expect to save 2'500+ CHF per month.