Driving in Qatar

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Qatar? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Qatar?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Qatar: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Wow, what a topic! This can open a big can of worms.

IMO, there are several issues/differences from my home country.

1. Lack of patrol police to ticket those who have poor driving habits. Some of the moves I see people make while driving would land you into a big problem back home. Cutting across 3 lanes of traffic, trying to wedge your front end into a queue of traffic while leaving the back in the other lane blocking, certain drivers who are already very bad drivers looking at their mobile while driving. Impatience in general with a certain group of drivers seemingly from the same geographic area.

2. Expressway Design. When I see a merge onto Doha expressway preceding an exit to the same road it baffles me. If these two were opposite, it would certainly ease up the exchange. Those exiting would not have to cross the path if those entering. Pretty simple really.

3. Lack of Awareness. It seems some people are numb the to what is going on around them while driving. They point the vehicle and just go with no regard for anyone else on the road. Is it lack of driving ability or just plain disregard for others.

I have a lot motorcycle riding experience. This experience certainly helps me when driving here in Doha. I am hyper sensitive of all of my surroundings and where vehicles are around me. It has saved me from being in many accidents by anticipating what the other driver might do and avoiding it before they caused the accident.

It seems that the biggest focus on safety here in Doha is speed. Typically those who are speeding have control of their vehicle. It is the inexperienced driver that creates the accidents.
It's very difficult to anticipate what some people might do when they're driving. Things I have never seen other drivers in other countries even attempt but they do it with ease and with no concern at all.

Overall, I believe if police would ticket those who drive carelessly the number of accidents and near account would significantly decrease.

I was in Qatar for 8 years and 2 months before i moved to KSA .. i think driving in Qatar is easy and safe .Here in KSA very difficult for a person who drive before in Qatar..If you ask from me i will say that Qatar driving is 95% better and easy than here.

Hello,
Compare to UAE, Qatar's have lot of rash drivers. here some drivers never respect traffic rules/tracks especially at R/A. Here no control over using mobile on driving. Even if I drive in middle lane @ average speed 70-80 Kmph, from behind driver will start to blow light/horn and some times over take me and start to play breaking and disturbing from front lane.
I seen so many arrogant drives here. And also some expert knows very well which cameras working and whish's dummy.
So we need take care of our safety as well as other drivers also.

Expecting Better Vision & safe driving skills from Qatat's

Regards

Certainly agree this happens. Unfortunately too many times when I see this happen, there is a very slow driver that should be in the far right lane to begin with. Typically there is nothing keeping them from moving over to right and not overtaking any other car.

I can't say much about my own country but I can share some observation with regards to driving in GCC in general. I haven't been to Kuwait and Saudi but I've driven in Qatar, UAE, Bahrain and in Oman.

Qatar is my current location and I would say that Qatar residents have the worst driving habit while UAE has the smoothest flow of vehicles. No tailgating, no flashing of head lights and no blowing of horns. Everyone respects each other on the road regardless of how expensive (or huge) your vehicle is. Same goes for Oman, where I only witnessed being pushed towards the next lane when a Q-plate number Cruiser was rushing from behind when I was already maintaining a decent speed.

I am yet to see Saudi (no tourist visa yet?) but I heard many stories about how horrible it is to drive there but for sure, it takes getting used to it.

Driving in Qatar is insane! The rules are for everyone except the Qataris. I recommend a very large vehicle, as the bigger cars/SUVs are more visible, and protects you better. In a small car, the Qataris will run into your car and it will be your fault no matter what happens. I drove a Hummer Pick-up truck when I lived there. Never had a problem.

There is camera coverage on the entire country. There are also speed cameras at some traffic lights. Fortunately, they have removed most of the roundabouts. The police are working at getting everyone to stay on the road, instead of off-roading everywhere. They will fine you $2,000. US for driving on the side of the road.

The Qataris think that they own the road. They will tailgate you and flash their lights and honk their horns at you to move out of their way. They will pass you on the right and the left. They think that Allah is driving and whatever happens is his will!

Traffic is horrible at all times of day and night. You will spend a lot of time stuck in traffic, with no alternative route.

Good Luck!

Yea they will flash you bcz indian drive with speed of 60 and 80 km per hour.. where speed limit is 120

Sure can't disagree with that. If those not passing would move to the right it would sure help.

Still don't have a DL.Please folks help!!!
I've been in QR now for six months..
Thank you all. Cheers
O sorry I forgot about the question. Currently I work as a security officer coordinating CCTV and the parking spots of my company. But  I tell u I can tell driving will be a serious issue in town cos they do not want to comply with the parking lots instructions as per floor markings and other s.I'm sure that's why the govt is so strict with the new traffic laws. I've been to Saudi Arabia and they are worse especially the lads( shabab). ..