Would love to meet people and explore!

Hello fellow expats and nonexpats!

My name is as my profile name says; Svein. I am 21 years and currently reside in Sanary sur Mer and have done that for 2 months now. I really don't know that many people, besides the friends of my girlfriend. But I don't really understand that much, and it's not simple for them to explain everything at all time aswell. I would love to meet up fellow expats or people who have a great understanding of french, and perhaps someone who would be willingly to teach me French. I can also offer my own support for people who are interested in learning Norwegian or English.

If anyone know places where they teach French, I would be very happy - I want to engage the new culture and society I'm in, so I need to adapt.

Thanks on beforehand for your replies.

Hi Svein,

Welcome on board :)

I will invite you to please drop an advert in the Language Exchange in Toulon section :)

Thank you

Maximilien

Good luck in finding expats within ur area. Same with u im looking for expats. Though we r reallllly far from each other. I have been in six-four last week for holidays. Enjoy the beach! The south of france!

katchie wrote:

Good luck in finding expats within ur area. Same with u im looking for expats. Though we r reallllly far from each other. I have been in six-four last week for holidays. Enjoy the beach! The south of france!

Haha thanks! Six Fours has great beaches! I hope you enjoyed you stay; did you go somewhere specific on your holiday in Six Fours?

Maximilien wrote:

Hi Svein,

Welcome on board :)

I will invite you to please drop an advert in the Language Exchange in Toulon section :)

Thank you

Maximilien

Thank you!

I appreciate the all the help I can get; so I submitted an advert; hopefully someone will contact me!

We rent a boat in six four and wander around the beach like lost sailors haha! But i like cassis more. And we visited a friend of my friend. Im just following them coz im such a newbie.

Ill add u then in my contacts. It wont be like all the time we will be in the south but if we will ill drop a message. Same for u if u find ur way in lyon. 😊

Come to Marseille, bruv! Sun + Sea + City . I live with my wife and couple cool roomates that would be willing to host...I'm the only non-french, but everyone speaks fluent english.

Also, if you're here on long-stay Visa, you should have access to free, state-sponsored french classes.  I would definitely inquire about that!

Curtis_B wrote:

Come to Marseille, bruv! Sun + Sea + City . I live with my wife and couple cool roomates that would be willing to host...I'm the only non-french, but everyone speaks fluent english.

Also, if you're here on long-stay Visa, you should have access to free, state-sponsored french classes.  I would definitely inquire about that!

I'd love to meet some day, so just give me a shout when you guys would want a visit!

Well we've been trying to find out where I could get these free french classes, but it's not so simple. ):

Svein wrote:

Well we've been trying to find out where I could get these free french classes, but it's not so simple. ):

Hi! I'm pretty much on the opposite side of France from you, so no help there, sorry. :)

However, depending on the kind of visa you're on, usually when you have an appointment at OFII, they do a sort of casual evaluation of your French (I didn't even realize that was what it was - I was expecting some sort of written test). If you're able to understand and make yourself understood in French, then you get no classes. If, however, it's obvious you can't really communicate in French, then the person who interviewed you will "assign" you a certain number of hours of French class, which they then have to make available to you. According to some others, I've heard that the classes they assign aren't always terribly useful, but ymmv.

Unfortunately, looking online, it looked like most FLE (Français Langue Étrangère) programs are in Marseille or Aix-en-Provence. Your best bet might be to call up the OFII directly to ask for information (have your girlfriend help you!). Or you could always post an add on leboncoin for a sort of "help wanted" sort of thing, and either pay or offer to exchange English/Norwegian/Swedish classes for help with French (something I know I would love if I lived closer!).

Svein wrote:

[Well we've been trying to find out where I could get these free french classes, but it's not so simple. ):

Welcome Svein !

Well it's not so easy to find french classes in Sanary, the best would be meeting french people who also speak english to teach you !
I'm living in St Cyr sur Mer, not so far from you guys, so if you and your gf want to go for a drink with french people, don't hesitate !

You can also look at the local associations, some of them offers free classes sometimes ;)

See ya

julia_lynn wrote:
Svein wrote:

Hi! I'm pretty much on the opposite side of France from you, so no help there, sorry. :)

However, depending on the kind of visa you're on, usually when you have an appointment at OFII, they do a sort of casual evaluation of your French (I didn't even realize that was what it was - I was expecting some sort of written test). If you're able to understand and make yourself understood in French, then you get no classes. If, however, it's obvious you can't really communicate in French, then the person who interviewed you will "assign" you a certain number of hours of French class, which they then have to make available to you. According to some others, I've heard that the classes they assign aren't always terribly useful, but ymmv.

Unfortunately, looking online, it looked like most FLE (Français Langue Étrangère) programs are in Marseille or Aix-en-Provence. Your best bet might be to call up the OFII directly to ask for information (have your girlfriend help you!). Or you could always post an add on leboncoin for a sort of "help wanted" sort of thing, and either pay or offer to exchange English/Norwegian/Swedish classes for help with French (something I know I would love if I lived closer!).

Thank you so much for the information!