Traveller's Cheques

Anyone know if you can cash traveller cheques in the exchange houses?

It is very hard to use travelers checks here. If you find a place that will take them (again most banks and exchange houses will not accept them) there will be a pretty big fee to cash them and on top of that you will get a very poor exchange rate.  So you lose twice with a big fee and a poor rate.
I would suggest that you leave them at home and use cash or your ATM card. When using ATMs you will get your cash in pesos (at a pretty good rate). Do let your bank know you are traveling here or they are likely to block your card fearing fraud.  Also try using your card only at a bank incase there is a problem.

Bob K

Thank you for the information.  I knew long time ago they accepted them but I had heard that had changed.  They will stay home.  I appreciate the help.

Yes, thanks for the information.   Also, what banks are recommended in the DR?  In the north coast area are there any banks that are used by expats that are considered trustworthy?
THanks, estella

Banco Santa Cruz in Sosua (main office in the area) as well as the branch in Cabarete work with Expats very well.
Carlos the manager is easy to get along with and almost all the account people as well as many of the tellers speak English.
They also usually have the best exchange rate among the banks.

Bob K