Moving

Wonder if any of you can give advice. I am a Bus driver in the uk and i have emailed Bus/coach companies in Malta to see if they employ English drivers, most have been back to me to say i should call in and see them when i arrive in malta, however having read blogs about low wages and the amount of hours you need to work to get them im beginning to have doubts? although i presume with malta being a EU country then they will have to abide by the Bus driving hours regulations? basically do you think we would struggle to survive in malta on one wage? my wife cannot work due to her illness ( chronic fatigue syndrome ) i was well aware i would have to work hard no problems with that and due to one wage we live frugally at home so that doesnt bother us, but we need to pay bills and eat? we would look to rent 2 bed apt by the way, we hoped to better our quality of life in other ways I.E on days off enjoy the better climate and spend time by the sea.
Would really appreciate some advice as to whether you think we could survive on a Bus/coach wage
we have been to malta many many times, and we have some experience of living abroad having lived in Majorca for a couple of years around 10 years ago
Many thanks

Andy

I responded to your other post in the cost of living
we my partner and i manage to survive on 1400 a month  he works and i like your wife have chronic fatigue syndrome as well as lower back problems .
my husband does it for a hotel full time now  but even in the summer when he was working two jobs and getting about 850 a month we didnt do too badly.
I guess its all about making the most of what you have .

The bus company wages are pretty low starting rates from what matt told me they were suggesting 6 euros an hour but that may have been because they were going to train him for a cat d licence.
I would strongly advise speaking to them and finding out what rates of pay are .
as for apartments it depends on which areas you choose to live you can find property from about 200euros upwards but it depends on seasons , number of rooms and facilities . for a two bed i suspect your going to be looking at a minimum of around 300  .

i would say you need to be thinking of a mimimum for bills etc of 600euros a month for a two bed and then you have to have food etc on top of that .. for me and my husband one bedroom flat its been 250 euros a month rent 20-40 euros a month electric 25 euros every 3 months for gas . then 52 euros  a month for bus travel and we on average spend about 200-250 a month on food , you then have to think of medicines, medical supplies etc mobile phone bills , internet  tv

in answer to your question when we were getting 800-850 euros a month that was all we had so we cut right down on things like food etc its only since we earn more our budgets gone up but even then were quite frugal so shop at lidl, pavi , lasco and we use the markets for things make the most of offers .

robpw2 wrote:

in answer to your question when we were getting 800-850 euros a month that was all we had so we cut right down on things like food etc its only since we earn more our budgets gone up but even then were quite frugal so shop at lidl, pavi , lasco and we use the markets for things make the most of offers .

Very interesting that you have same condition as my wife, medicines is another question, my wife needs lyrica for her fibromyalgia do you take similar? if so is it provided free or do you have to pay for it privately? if so what is the cost?

Thanks so much for your help

i don't know in all honesty , I bought stuff with me and we'll I have only been Drs once and they gave me a prescription this was from the public health centre and you take it to pharmacy to be filled and pay for what items you need but I haven't been that much.  I haven't visited a private dr yet so no idea what they are like ( if your working over here you can get free healthcare for you and your wife the same as the maltese )
I have been taking tramadol for the pain but nothing  for the chronic fatigue  just get told to rest don't over do it , stick with in my bounds etc i have used being over here as an excuse to get off it , horrible stuff it is

If she's on regular medicine I would reccomend bringing out a large supply ( just in case that type isn't availble in Malta) copy of a prescription etc  and medical notes  just so she doesn't have to explain her whole situation to another dr

dont  believe all you read and expect of EU legislation controlling working hours or indeed anything else for that matter etc  -it doesnt work in Malta....

If you have a pre-existing medical condition for which you are receiving medication before moving to Malta ensure you have a maximum supply of that medication. I also strongly advise you to bring copies of medical records, copies of prescriptions or a letter confirming your conditions and medication. These may prove invaluable for when seeking medication here, either by attending a free clinic or doctor privately and/or during Schedule V assessment.

If you are working then your wife may well be entitled to what is known as a Schedule V assessment. That will mean that this will entitle the person full access to all medical treatment and Schedule V 'yellow card' for free medication for some chronic conditions. Otherwise you will pay for medication.

Whether one is entitled to Schedule V (five) medication (Yellow card)  will depend upon one's residential status, and entitlement to health care here.
It can be a complicated process.

(After issue of Schedule V card (yellow card you will then have to nominate a Pharmacist of your choice, get a green form from them, get a doctor to complete the medication detail of that and return it to the pharmacist. You will then later receive a card of payment codes which the pharmacist will then enter on their system in lieu of payment each time you are issued with your Schedule V listed medication.)

Be prepared for the Schedule V process to take some time and not all medication that you may have previously been prescribed is available by this process.

redmik wrote:

If you have a pre-existing medical condition for which you are receiving medication before moving to Malta ensure you have a maximum supply of that medication. I also strongly advise you to bring copies of medical records, copies of prescriptions or a letter confirming your conditions and medication. These may prove invaluable for when seeking medication here, either by attending a free clinic or doctor privately and/or during Schedule V assessment.

If you are working then your wife may well be entitled to what is known as a Schedule V assessment. That will mean that this will entitle the person full access to all medical treatment and Schedule V 'yellow card' for free medication for some chronic conditions. Otherwise you will pay for medication.

Whether one is entitled to Schedule V (five) medication (Yellow card)  will depend upon one's residential status, and entitlement to health care here.
It can be a complicated process.

(After issue of Schedule V card (yellow card you will then have to nominate a Pharmacist of your choice, get a green form from them, get a doctor to complete the medication detail of that and return it to the pharmacist. You will then later receive a card of payment codes which the pharmacist will then enter on their system in lieu of payment each time you are issued with your Schedule V listed medication.)

Be prepared for the Schedule V process to take some time and not all medication that you may have previously been prescribed is available by this process.

thanks for the advice, its great to have people in the know to answer questions

I would suggest you read an article I wrote but it has disappeared!
If it comes back I'll link it.

Is there anyone we can contact about my wife's medication? We need to see if she can get it because if we have to pay we won't be able to come over it costs a fortune to buy privately, it's lirica in case any one knows

contact the paola medical centre and any brown pharmacy they should be able to advise

Entitlement to free medication through the public health sector outside a Maltese government hospital setting is based on the principle of social solidarity and occurs through a system based on criteria linked to disease or means by virtue of the Social Security Act Cap 318 Article 23 and the amendment of this act - Act No. I of 2012 and the Fifth Schedule of the same Act. Those patients suffering from chronic conditions usually fall under Schedule V (Yellow Card), whilst those with limited means generally pertain to the Schedule II (Pink Card).

Pink card holders are only entitled to a limited number of medicinal products, which are specifically marked as pink card positive on the Government Formulary List.

A 24
VERŻJONI ELETTRONIKA
“PART II
DISEASES AND CONDITIONS IN RESPECT OF WHICH FREE MEDICAL AID MAY BE ACCORDED
1. Malignant Diseases
2. Cardiovascular Diseases:
(a) Chronic Heart Failure
(b) Hypertension
(c) Ischaemic Heart Disease
(d) Cardiac Arrhythmias
(e) Peripheral Vascular Disease
(f) Cerebrovascular disease
(g) Genetic Dyslipidaemia
3. Respiratory Diseases:
(a) Chronic Respiratory Failure
(b) Cystic Fibrosis
(c) Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
(d) Chronic Asthma
4. Digestive system diseases:
(a) Gastro – Oesophageal Reflux Disease
(b) Gastric/Duodenal Ulcers
(c) Inflammatory Bowel Disease
(d) Coeliac Disease
(e) Diverticular Disease requiring Stoma Care
(f) Hirschprung's Disease
(g) Imperforate Anus
(h) Small Intestinal Failure
5. Liver diseases:
(a) Chronic Liver Disease
6. Haematological Diseases:
(a) Inherited Bleeding Disorders
(b) Inherited Haemoglobinopathies
7. Nervous System Diseases:
(a) Epilepsy
A 25
VERŻJONI ELETTRONIKA
(b) Parkinson's Disease
(c) Myasthenia Gravis
(d) Multiple Sclerosis
(e) Motor Neurone Disease
(f) Trigeminal Neuralgia
(g) Huntington's Chorea
(h) Dementia
(i) Schizophrenia
(j) Psychosis
(k) Chronic Mood Disorders
(l) Chronic Neurotic Disorders
(m) Addiction Disorders
(n) Chronic Psychiatric Disorders starting in Childhood
(o) Chronic Eating Disorders
(p) Cerebral Palsy
(q) Narcolepsy
(r) Spinal Cord Pathologies
(s) Congenital Indifference to pain
8. Renal diseases:
(a) Chronic Kidney Disease
9. Endocrine diseases:
(a) Diabetes Mellitus
(b) Addison's Disease
(c) Precocious Puberty
(d) Hypoparathyroidism
(e) Hypopituitarism
(f) Hypogonadism
(g) Enzyme Disorders
(h) Endometriosis and Adenomyosis
(i) Pituitary Adenomas
10. Skin diseases:
(a) Psoriasis
(b) Chronic Immunobullous Disorders
(c) Congenital Ichthyosis
11. Infectious Diseases:
(a) HIV/AIDS and HIV Related Diseases
(b) Hepatitis B & C
(c) Tuberculosis
(d) Hospital Acquired Infections
(e) Leprosy
A 26
VERŻJONI ELETTRONIKA
Pauline Abela
Clerk to the House of Representatives
(f) Polio and Post-Polio Syndrome
(g) Chronic Osteomyelitis
12. Rheumatic Diseases:
(a) Rheumatoid Arthritis
(b) Paget's Disease
(c) Lupus Erythematosus
(d) Systemic Sclerosis
(e) Dermatomyositis/Polymyositis
(f) Polyartritis Nodosa
(g) Seronegative Arthritis
(h) Crystal Deposition Disease
(i) Polymyalgia Rheumatica
13. Metabolic Disorders
(a) Inborn Errors of Metabolism
14. Eye diseases:
(a) Glaucoma
(b) Vascular Disease of the Retina
15. Immunodeficiency:
(a) Primary Immunodeficiency Disorder
(b) Secondary Immunodeficiency Disorder
16. Chromosome Disorders:
(a) Down Syndrome
(b) Turner Syndrome
(c) Prader-Willi Syndrome”.

thats the list of those you can get free medicines on

maybe worth looking at
"All FM sufferers are welcome to join in the Fibromyalgia Facebook Group in Malta. Those with ME can join in the ME Sufferers Malta."

If you come over and are NOT working and register for eResidence using an S1 (ie you receive a State Pension) then you can get assessed for Sched V and get medication free of charge, if prescribed AND on a list of approved medicines.

If you are working and paying SSD then your wife will be covered for medication and can go the Sched V route.

However, I would also argue that if the price of medication is that critical to your move here, in terms of whether you can or cannot because of that, then think very very carefully. The cost of medication is not the only thing that you need to consider, there will be other situations which could arise and for which, you should have a contingency fund.

Good post Rob

and as much as it pains me (lol)  I must agree with Redmik on this one...  ;)  think very very carefully about your move.. holidaying in Malta is a far cry from living in Malta - living incurs and involves many obstacles for those who have mobility and medical issues that you would nt expect to have to cater for in a modern EU member state. and would rarely encounter as a holiday maker.

Sadly they do not have much of what other states have and medical supplies often run out or are never re-ordered - mainly due to cost and laziness....

The healthcare services are said to be very good (am sure Redmik can tell you of some good experiences)  but am happy to say that we never needed it when we lived there - however it is not without its problems - a good friend of mine has had several major ops in the last 12 months and although is on the mend now he has had some really bad experiences in MD

so continue doing your research my friend and be 100% sure of your end decision as its a big step especially when one is of more mature years and with this type of issue.... GOOD LUCK AND WE WISH YOU WELL

Toon wrote:

and as much as it pains me (lol)  I must agree with Redmik on this one...  ;)  think very very carefully about your move.. holidaying in Malta is a far cry from living in Malta - living incurs and involves many obstacles for those who have mobility and medical issues that you would nt expect to have to cater for in a modern EU member state. and would rarely encounter as a holiday maker.

i agree with redmik too its important that you consider all factors in terms of being here,   you have to put your health and well being first, (i really should take my own advice lol)
Having said all that from my experience the chemists here are really helpful and if there is an item you need they are not selling they can order it in for you , ( or at least the ones i tried) they can reccomend other items that might help and seem really helpful .
its worth coming and speaking to various places near where your thinking of living and checking out how easy or difficult it might be to access various services etc and to make sure your able to take good care of yourselves.

Thanks everyone for the good advice :-)

I agree with all the above, we are in the period of research, the more you do this plus go over and meet people the better you will get prepared. As an example we did 3 years research before moving to the scottish islands and even after that we were surprised with a couple of things, still we eventually came back to the uk (after 13 years) due to family commitments
Our next move (at the moment Gozo is the 1st on the list) will probably by MY last move, I say MY because my wife is 10 years younger than me, I suspect the move will happen in 2016 but NOT before i have ended my research.
There are still a couple of niggles that need ironing out, mainly financial so as they say time will tell.

You can never be too well prepared.

The couple that bought our house on the Scottish islands flew up, loved the house and bought it, after a few months they hated the island and I'm sure thats what happens to plenty of people the world over.

You have made the first move joining this group, i recommend joining as many groups as you can and be active on them - Good luck in your research.

by the way we have been researching now for just 1 year!!