Would love your expertise in Costa Rica!

Hello. I just found this forum and while I am sure many topics have been started before about what I'm looking to learn, I don't see a lot of "replys" out there - so I'm hoping someone can reply to this posting. 

I am planning a trip to come visit Costa Rica because I am interesting in relocating there from the States. I am hoping someone can give me there thoughts on the best area to stay to see the most I can see within a one week stay? I'm more interested in seeing how the locals live than partaking in tourist things.

Can anyone suggest an area where I should look for a rental?

Thank you!

Hi sealove -
so much depends on what you want out of the place you will live. If this is your first trip, and you only have one week, then I suggest basing in San Jose.  You can make day trips to nearby cities to get a feel for them, and one or two overnight trips further afield.
Feel free to check my blog entries for our "due diligence" trips. Here's a good start: http://julieandrickincostarica.blogspot … label/town

Hi Julie,
Thanks so much for your reply!  Your blog looks great and I will definitely spend some more time reading it - the info you are providing is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks again - the information is much appreciated.

anytime - hope it helps :-)
let me know if you have specific questions
j

Hi Julie
My name is Giovanna Barrantes. I'm a Lic Attorney here in San Jose Costa.
I think it may be tough to see the entire country in one week.
My advice is to focus on a few area's when you come.
It all depends on the life style that you are looking for in Costa Rica.
The Central Valley (San Jose area) will offer you the best infrastruture in the country.
Outside the Central Valley Costa Rica can be quite rural.
If you dont speak Spanish that can be a problem.
I can recommend the Prado Inn in San Jose.Very nice B&B about $70 a day with internet/flat screen TV's breakfeast in the mourning safe location.
I hope this helps you.
Best Wishes
Lic Giovanna Barrantes

Hello Giovanna, thank you very much for your reply and for the information. Especially the referral for the Inn. I also appreciate your descriptions of the various areas.  I will check out the Inn you mentioned as I believe we'll be making our first trip down this coming Winter.

Thank you again!