The WanderingSalsero is now in Barranquilla

Introducing myself... I just moved from Ras Al Khaimah, UAE, to Barranquilla. Single, work online as a writer but I'm hoping to get a teaching job here too... if possible. I already have some private tutoring students set up through a lady I know who has an introduction agency here where some of her ladies want English lessons so...I'm lucky there.

I've been very surprised that there aren't 'salsa clubs' here where single women go to dance (like there are in Houston where I'm from). I also notice that the people don't seem to eat very well here...lots of meat and fried stuff...and big servings. I'm kinda surprised at seeing so many 'hefty' women. I'm partial to Thai, Vietnamese, and Indian food.

But, I love the music on the streets everywhere. I'd sure love to meet some other foreigners here to hang out with and go out looking for dancing partners at night.

Regards,
Art williams
local ph. 300 762 7797

Yes, Colombian diet is starch, starch, and more starch.
And overcooked meat. Being in Barranquilla, you have access to seafood though.

As for salsa clubs. Well, you have to keep in mind that salsa is part of Colombian culture, but is not exactly fashionable. Especially on the coast, the everyday music is the Vallenato, and for the younger crowds, la champeta urbana. Not to mention the imported bachata and reggaeton.
Everybody knows how to dance some salsa, but because it is part of the culture, there are no real salsa clubs for singles. Anyway, Salsa is danced in couple, as a consequence, people go to dance salsa in couple or in groups.
It is NOT, like in the US or Europe, a dance to meet people.

As for the shape and size of Barranquilleras. Well, not all of them are Miss Universe. And coming from Asia, I guess you'll need to adjust your standards a bit. You should spend a few weeks back in the US, and then come back to Barranquilla. You'll probably have another vision of things!

In any case, enjoy your time in Colombia!

Back in the US.....me? No thanks. Although i do think it's funny your suggestion about the average US girth today. Yeah, I know that's the way the world is going unless one is really careful.

I understand what you're saying about the other stuff too. Me, being a music major in college, I suppose my perspective on music is a bit wider than most people. I know that people tend to stick with what they're brought up with.

Seoul, S.Korea...where I was before the Philippines, has at least 10 really-rocking Salsa clubs though...and you can dance with 20 girls in one night and they all love it.

Anyway... thanks.

Art