Planning on moving to Columbia

Hi there, I am a 27 year old Australian single male, planning on moving to Colombia. I was thinking around August. I still haven't decided on whether to live in Bogota or Medellin. I am planning on living a bit and perhaps even finding a Colombian wife whilst I'm over there, haha. I want to move to where the people are very welcoming, has a great night life, good looking women (I'm a red blooded male), culture, safety and natural beauty. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Hi macdogger86 and welcome to Expat.com!

A new thread has been created on Columbia forum for better visibility.

Hope that you'll soon be advised.:)

Harmonie.

Might want to consider Bucaramanga/Floridablanca.  It is a smaller city, nice weather, lots of nature around here.  I am married, however I think you other concerns would be well met!
-Jake

I live in Bogotá and love it... but while trying not to be selfish, I think you would like more Medellin... weather and women seem to be nicer ;)

Anyway, it is a big step, yoy probably would like to come fist, check both and decide...

Good luck! and let me know if you need help with anything.

Hi.
My family and I have lived in Copacabana, Colombia, for almost seven months now.  When we mention going to Bogota, we have not had ONE person say it would be good to go there.  The locals say Bogota is a bad place to live - expensive and dangerous.  They say it is good to visit Bogota to see what it has, but be very careful and don't stay too long.  Almost any place is what you make of it , though, so if you are adventurous, go for it!

Hey, hola. I'm César. Currently, a friend of mine from Melbourne is in Medellín and he thinks girls here are beautiful. We are aslso very welcoming. So, don't hesitate! Come to my city!

César.

By the way, do you have skype? mine is cesar.augusto.murillo.hoyos

hi

I live in Bogota, with my husband and daughter (English and American). I am a Venezuelan brunette, the worst thing that ever happened to me, is that I have experienced racism

other than that Bogota has been very good. as any capital city there is always a lot of chaos, and yes, there is insecurity. 

but we never have had a bad experience .
the area where we live is guarded by armed military, I have felt safer here than other countries where we lived.

Bogota, if a bit expensive, but I assure you, that you will not die of hunger
social life is amazing, the only  bad thing is the weather, but only when it rains.

I assure you that living in Bogota; is not to bad.

we came from Doha, Qatar,we lived there for 3.5 years, which I hate so much that I would never go back, even if it's for free.

be adventurous, experiencing different cultures makes us more tolerant and passionate about life.

best regards.

A friendly correction... It's Colombia with an o... This is a big thing here... :)

I Agree with what cardilag said... We'd love to have her here in Medellín... lol

However, to be fair, Bogotá is still Colombian and las rolas are still Colombianas... and you will enjoy Bogotá very much... but you will enjoy Medallo even more...

Siol:  there are dangerous parts in all Colombian cities including my gorgeous city Medellín... I think knocking down Bogotá is wrong... also IMHO, Bogotá is much nicer than Copacabana...

Hi dieselgirl... I loved Doha... Do they still have The Center?  How many rings do they have now?  I remember the D-Ring..

I don't really know how many more they have, when I left Doha they where biulding lot of roads, they are amazing in that aspect, contuction are fast.

good you did like it, we didn't enjoy the hit and the traffic jam are really bad there.

I have been to many places in Colombia for extended stays. I am from the US and find Bogota the most livable longer term. Cartagena is a long weekend type place , Medellin fun or few weeks to a month but it can get boring fast (great climate). Barranquilla was just ok.Bogota longer term just has so much more nightlife and so much more culture to offer than any of the others. I didn't find Bogota anymore dangerous than any of the others. Bogota would be my choice for a stay of 3 months or longer the only down side of Bogota for me was the weather. PS Bogota has just as many good looking women probably more than the others in pure numbers because it is the capital and has a huge population from all over the country.  Enjoy the trip let us know where you choose.

I'm from Chicago my first trip to Colombia 2009 then again in 2010 and again in 2011.   

Chicago can be dangerous at times.  Obviously, I liked Colombia enough to visit three times in three years.  I found Bogota a little intimidating. Partially because the size of the city, but also because of westerners being targeted.  I felt it was noticeable.  I didn't like the climate because of the altitude.  They were building infrastructure and a new electric bus system.

I thought Medellin was better for these reasons.  I like the weather in the valley it is good year round.  I felt safe in Medellin anywhere and at anytime.  The Zona Rosa was more fun for me then Bogota's night life because it was more convenient and not as spread out. 

The transportation system in Medellin is better because Bogota has no trains.  The train system in Medellin is modern and it appeared 10 years old or less so very new.  Medellin doesn't have to worry about protecting and preserving their city circle like Bogota.  Bogota really cannot add trains without destroying things from the 1600's..  Medellin has had lots of growth without having to face preserving historic sites. 

Cartagena it's good to see a few times.  This is a place to go once you get a Colombian girlfriend.  Playa Blanca is a special place to take a woman or meet a woman.  I would not want to live in Cartagena, but it probably is my favorite place to spend 4-5 days. 

Other cities that are not super popular but very nice are Bucaramanga & Santa Marta.  My girlfriend is from Bucaramanga this is the 5th largest city.  Nothing super special, but very solid middle class with a fairly high education.  I noticed that many people spoke English here at least the younger generation.  Perhaps it is a University town not sure...

Santa Marta is a coastal city.  It is up-coming. There is a hostel called La Brisa Loca this is a must stay.  The night life is quaint the weekends are fun...  Nothing really going on midweek unless you hit nearby Taganga things get busy there on Thursday at club Sensacion.

Barranquilla is an industrial city been through there not really a place you want to go.  I flew out of Barranquilla on the last trip. 

If you want a tip Aussie buddy here is one.  It may be cheaper to fly direct on Quantas to the United States.  Spirit Airlines is the cheapest carrier to Colombia from the United States.  If you catch it right you can get a flight from NYC to Bogota or Medellin roundtrip for 430.00.     You can fly to Bogota roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale (Miami) for about 320.00      I think Spirit covers L.A. as well.

macdogger86
Hi! I have to disagree with Siol when he says "...The locals say Bogota is a bad place to live - expensive and dangerous..." I'm from Bogotá and donŽt know the first person who would think or say that. Colombia has a lot of great cities and towns, but I agree with RobbieRobNJ when he says Bogotá is the best choice longer term, especially considering you come from Sydney, you will appreciate that being the biggest city, in general it has so much more to offer. Of course it isnŽt perfect, the weather is much cooler than other places and you just need to be a bit more careful, other than that I think you would enjoy it very much. And sure! If you have the time and means visit as many of the other cities as you can...Oh yeah and regarding the women, many agree that the paisas(girls from medellin) are the best looking in the country, the good thing about Bogotá is that you will also find paisas and girls from all over