Should I come to Ecuador

We have investigated on the Internet about Ecuador. It truly sounds to good to be true! We want to immigrant from South Africa. Is this a good idea? Can it be recommended?

sonjavdm wrote:

We have investigated on the Internet about Ecuador. It truly sounds to good to be true! We want to immigrant from South Africa. Is this a good idea? Can it be recommended?

I suggest that you read through the posts on the forum, do some in depth research before making a decision.

If it sounds too good to be true then it possibly is too good to be true. There are pros and cons which need to be weighed up, taken into consideration before deciding.

I have to agree with Stumpy. There are many factors that will make the move either successful or unsuccessful. As I always recommend, you should make an exploratory trip for as long as you can. Three months is my fairly arbitrary bench mark, but it gets you past the "holiday" phase and lets you start to get a feel for real life in Ecuador. Like all things it has its good points and draw backs. Look at your life and decide what you can live without and what you MUST have to be content and keep those things in mind when you visit.

Loving the outdoors, healthy food and yoga -- as stated in your mini-bio -- seems like Ecuador would be a good fit.

Learn espanol and stay out of the danger areas (GYE, Colombian border, south Quito) and you should be fine.

cccmedia in Quito

sonjavdm wrote:

Ecuador has some wonderful places and some that are not so nice. The best thing to do is visit, and if it feels like a good fit, visit again before making any long term plans.

Thank you for your advice.
It is not easy for us just to pop in for a visit as we are on the other side of the world. We will however come and check it out. We also live in a 3rd world country & do not have the privileges of a 1st world country or any for that matter. We just wanted to get a feel of the lifestyle & opportunities there. We have traveled all over Europe & the east. We have an idea of different customs. We are still young & would like to start up a business there. Hopefully this would be possible to do! Is investment in property for rentals a good idea?

sonjavdm wrote:

Is investment in property for rentals a good idea?

First off, violating the following rule is supremely risky:

Do not buy property in Ecuador until you have spent at least a year living in Ecuador.

This may require multiple trips due to the arcane visa laws.

I know from years of experience (in the U.S.) as a landlord that property ownership-management is a tricky business.  Naturally, it's trickier still for someone who is from a different country and does not know the market, the regulations and the tricks for succeeding here.

You've got tenant headaches:  vacancies, damages, maintenance and repairs, late rent payments, unpaid rent, possible court appearances.

You've got the uncertainty as to whether your property value will appreciate.  It could drop.  You might be unable to find a buyer if you decide you want out.

You've got hidden expenses, like when a municipal inspector comes by and the city sends you a notice that the paint on the exterior is eroding and you need to re-paint, as an example.  The roof could leak and need replacement.

What if tenants bring bedbugs into the building and they spread to your other apartments....  I lost an apartment building in Connecticut -- sold it at a loss in 2008 -- after this occurred there.

cccmedia in Quito

Hello, and welcome aboard. On this sit you will find a great deal of good information from people who have done what you are thinking. The internet is a great tool for research, but you MUST, not take what you may find as fact..

The fact of the matter is this. Ecuador is a beautiful country with some great people, but. It has it's problems just like any other place on this planet. You do research until you are blue in the face, you will find good things as well as bad, but nothing can provide more useful information to you, than actually coming here and checking it out for yourself, period. I am not talking about a three day visit trying to see four cities etc. There are a few things you need to decide right now.

1. What can I afford?
2. What kind of climate do I want?
3. Do I want to live in a city or country?
4. Do I need to be close to medical facilities?
5. Am I ready to leave all my family and friends?

These are just a few of the important questions you need to ask yourself, and be honest with your answers. Many people have stopped dropped and moved, only to find they can't handle it.

I can tell you all day long how I love Ecuador, but my view of perfect or paradise WILL NOT, be the same as yours or anyone else's. Do yourself a favor and plan a trip here, at least 2 weeks if possible and longer if practical. Then you can have all your questions answered and see for yourself if Ecuador is a fit for you.

When you read on the internet how you can live here for $500.00 a month, it's not going to happen. Unless you like to live a VERY meager life. So make as many contacts on this site as you can, there are many very good people here who are happy to help you, people who have came here and made it. Then come and see it for yourself, only then make your decision. Anything else I could say would be biased and unfair to you. The good thing about free advise, is that you don't have to take it.  :top:

In closing, don't think or let some one convince you that you need a lawyer, when and if you decide to make the move. Myself as well as many others will tell you, it is not needed. If you have your paperwork in line and all your ducks in a row you can do it yourself or with minimal help. All the resources you could need are right here on this site, and most will help you just to help nothing more. Enough said.

Good Luck...

GMC(SW) wrote:

don't think or let some one convince you that you need a lawyer, when and if you decide to make the move. Myself as well as many others will tell you, it is not needed. If you have your paperwork in line and all your ducks in a row you can do it yourself or with minimal help. All the resources you could need are right here on this site.

True, some folks can navigate the Ecuadorian bureaucracy and obtain a visa without professional assistance.

The problem is that the bureaucrats have a tricky assortment of curve balls they are prone to toss in any Expat's general direction.  Without experience, life can be hell in the Cancillería League.  Given everything else a new arrival has to deal with, calling an español-savvy "bateador" off the bench is usually the optimal scoring strategy.

cccmedia in Quito