Process of K-3 Visa for a Brazilian ( American Immigrations Question )

I am an American currently living in Manaus and I am married to a Brazilian citizen and we are currently living here in Brazil.

My question is to someone with knowledge of the K-3 Immigrations process ( USA visa for spouse ). 

Is it hard to apply for this visa while living in Brazil?
What is the steps to this process?
I do not have a job in the USA because of living here and we do not make enough income, how can I show enough income? ( Parents or relatives? )
What can we expect in our interview in Rio De Janeiro? ( Is it a hard interview? What type of questions will they ask us etc? )

Any and all advice on this process would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Hello PatDuley,

As luck would have it my best friend, a US Immigrations Officer, is standing right by my side as I type this.

His recommends that you forget the K-3 visa entirely and go straight for the CR-1 visa, the processing time is almost exactly the same as the K-3, but you're going to have to take the medical exams now. If you apply for the K-3 you're going to have to return to Brazil and take them anyway so you're going to have much less headaches going right to the CR-1.

For visa information see:  www.visajourney.com

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi thank you for the quick reply!

Since I am the american citizen living in Brazil, it would be the easiest way to apply for the CR-1 instead of the K-3 visa for my spouse?  I have never heard of the CR-1 they only advertise the K-3 would you happen to know the difference between the two?

We are planning to move back to the USA as soon as possible with the least amount of headache possible.

Thanks!

The CR-1 (Conditional Resident 1) visa is essentially the 'green card'. The process is almost exactly as long as the K-3 (10 - 11 months) and once granted you're done, don't ever need to worry about it again.

Also as I mentioned, if you apply for the K-3 in the USA, you're going to have to come back to Brazil for a medical exam anyway, so you might as well apply for the CR-1 here, have the medical here too and be done with it all.

See the following State Department webpage for more information on the CR-1 visa:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/e … ative.html

Cheers,
James