Shopping Day Trip To Chetumal

These are questions for the Corozal people who regularly cross into Chetumal for shopping.

1) What to expect at the border?

2) How and where do I exchange my BZ dollars for Peso?

3) Would it be safe for me to take my vehicle across the border? If so, are there any special requirements?

4) What am I allowed to bring back across and what am I not allowed to bring back across?

5) What are the duty rates for my purchases in Chetumal?

to try and answer your questions:

1.  what to expect at the border?  that all depends on what time of day, what day of the week and if a holiday is in the near future.  And that pertains to both sides of the border.  I know that isn't a sufficient answer but if you could be a little more specific it would assist.

2. where to exchange BZ $ for Pesos....right after you leave the Belize Immigration building there will be Peseros who can change them for you.

3.  Driving in Chetumal is like driving in any fairly large city.  By Mexican law you are required to have MX auto insurance.  Many will tell you don't need it...but if you have an accident without MX insurance you will automatically be at fault and there consequences are not good ones.

4.  What are you allowed to bring back?  Never, BY LAW, are you allowed to bring back beer, soda pop, fresh fruits or vegetables unless permission is granted by the BAHA jefe prior to crossing the border on the day of travel assuming you are returning the same day, and then some items are NEVER allowed.  Never on fresh fish, meats, dairy products. There is a limitation on the amount you can bring back from a border town which Chetumal is considered, I think it's $50 BZ per month, not sure, but sometimes that is not enforced. 

5.  Duty amounts?  any item purchased in Chetumal is subject to duty, but again, this is not always enforced.  Duty amounts vary depending on what the item is.  Check out the Belize Customs web page for specific rates.

you can expect to pay an exit fee of $37.50 bz dollars when leaving Belize.   you will show your passport.   the money changers are useful for small amounts, so you have pesos where they will not take credit cards.  credit cards are the best choice for any purchase.    then you have to fill in the paperwork and get your passport stamped at the mexican border.  If you have brought your car with Mexican insurance, you will pay a fee for having the undercarriage sprayed.  also you may be stopped for an inspection.    returning to Belize you will need to turn in your paperwork in Mexico.  then when you get to the Belizan border,   you will park, go in with your receipts and purchased merchandise and pay up.   If you have alot, too much to carry there is often a porter who will carry things in for you, give him the amount he asks for and he will handle the tariffs and carry the goods/ thru.   

If you have your permanent residency it is easier.   If you have citizenship it is even easier.    It is really easier to just take a taxi.   My taxi man handles all of it for me.    Mostly it is just not worth it to go to Chetumal, at least for me.    Going from Consejo is the easiest and least expensive.