Junior College, UoM - I'm so confused....

I have been searching their website for ages but I am still confused so I am hoping anybody here can enlighten me.

My daughter will be starting '6th Form' this year and obviously wishes to continue her studies once in Malta.  However, I am very very confused regarding the fees for the Junior College/UoM.

All I can find is 'for overseas students' over 17k.  This however includes accomodation and living expenses.  Obviously she will be living at home so these are irrelevant, however, I cannot find out the fees for just the study.  I am also confused as to whether these fees are for the University or the Junior College.

Heeeeeeeeeeelp.  I'm so confused.

Can anybody confirm to me if the Junior College (6th form) is covered under free state schooling, or is it a fee paying study.
If it is chargeable,  can anybody tell me how much?

Thanks in advance for your help.
:/:)

You should check out St. Martin's 6th Form College - not sure if I am allowed to post a direct link, but if you google "st. martin's 6th form college malta" it'll be pretty obvious.

Contact them directly for information about their fees.

Tim

Hiya,  thanks for the reply.

I've had a look at their site but can't find anything to do with fees, which always makes me nervous.

Does anybody have personal experience of St. Martin's they could share with me, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks
Jules

Sorry, I don't have any personal experience, but some googling revealed the following:
In 2008 they charged €5,400 per year + a registration fee of €233.
Being a couple of years later I assume the numbers would be a bit further North of those mentioned above (assuming they were accurate in the first place!).

These seem to be the 6th Form Colleges in Malta:

St. Aloysius' College, Birkirkara: No fees, but admission may be difficult as they have a list of priorities for accepting applicants.

De La Salle College, Cospicua: No tuition fees, but voluntary donations expected.

Junior College, Msida: Not sure on tuition fees, but I did find that "Between Monday 16th August 2010 and Thursday 30th September 2010 applications are accepted against a late application fee of €116.50."

Giovanni Curmi Higher Secondary School, Naxxar: No idea on fees, registration is in September - different dates based on surname.

St. Martin's College Sixth Form, Swatar - Msida: see above for 2008.

Tim

I think that the best thing that you can do is phone the schools. 

Giovanni Curmi is a government school so fees should be completely different from private schools. It might fall under the free state schooling, but I am not sure about that. I know, from experience, that if you call them, they will give you all the info you need.

JC (Junior College) does not fall under the free state schooling since it is part of the University.

Proceeding to Uni in Malta would require your daughter to follow the MC (Matriculation course) which lasts two years at the end of which she will have to sit for A and Intermediate Levels exams. 

She would need to choose 2 subjects at A Level and 3 at Intermediate plus Systems of Knowledge (compulsory intermediate subject for uni)

Hi thanks,  can you enlighten me as to what is 'systems of knowledge'. 

Thanks
xx

first up on google
http://www.ibe.unesco.org/publications/ … inno03.pdf

it sort of sounds like General Knowledge A level

The 1998 syllabus describes Systems of Knowledge as an interdisciplinary
course aimed at:
— promoting an awareness of values;
— affording opportunities for going beyond the traditional limits of particular
disciplines and gaining an insight into different systems of knowledge;
— developing candidates' ability to view ideas, skills and situations from a
wider standpoint than that of a single discipline ;
— fostering a greater flexibility in adapting to changing patterns of work and
life in a post-industrial age.
The course focuses on:
1. A number of values: life, community feeling, knowledge, religion, work
and play, aesthetic experience, democracy, science and technology. These
values are reflected throughout Mediterranean civilization. Particular
values seem to be predominant in specific periods;
2. The political, socio-economic, ethical and cultural environment in which
these values developed in different periods of Mediterranean history;
3. The products of humankind throughout history, whether literary, aesthetic
or technological;
4. The development of critical and creative thinking across the Systems of
Knowledge curriculum;
5. The development of communicative skills in both Maltese and English.
The Systems of Knowledge course is divided into three modules, each focusing
on a particular period of history : Antiquity and Early Middle Ages, the
Middle Ages and Renaissance Period, and the Modern and Contemporary
World.

As george said it is general knowledge.  The syllabus for 2012 is the following:
http://www.um.edu.mt/__data/assets/pdf_ … 8/IM32.pdf

Syllabi for intermediate subjects for 2012
http://www.um.edu.mt/matsec/syllabus/in … level_2012

Syllabi for advanced subjects for 2012
http://www.um.edu.mt/matsec/syllabus/ad … level_2012