Moving to Puerto Plata

Single F 44 moving to Puerto Plata ,Sousua, or Cabarette, with the brother. Can you give me some Idea regarding monthly expenses for housing food. Approx. Price for  Upper middle class neighbourhood, condo living, but something more luxury furnished with security. I am thinking for 5 months rental for start. Safety issues for a single female? Places to meet people, dance in Puerto Plata,Sosua obviously some better clubs bars restaurants elite Clubs.  Thanks. S

Rather than Puerto Plata look at Sosua (20 min to the east), this is also where the Puerto Plata airport is. Or Cabarete another 5 min down the road.

Both have larger expat communities and a much more active social life. We live between the two.

Bob K

Can you find good rental accommodation, furnished, condo or you have any recommendation.? Traveling to Dominica this December to look around. Traveled many times stayed in 5 star hotels ,but outside living is different.
When you state social life what are the possibilities good restaurants dace clubs, music if you would be able to give details, please. Thanks S

Welcome to the forums.  you are best to go read some threads, some of this has been covered.  There is lots of info on budgets etc you can find. 

Bob makes a good point. It doesn't sound like you want the "local" life which is more what you find in Puerto Plata.  For me I would skip Sosua and head to Cabarete but that is me.  I like Sosua daytime and hate it at night. Cabaret is full of touristy type restaurants and clubs for you to enjoy! 

Safety - I am a single female and I've been here over  11 years.  Keep your head up and your eyes open, Dont associate with certain kinds of people, don't flash and be very careful who you invite into your home.  Do not trust anyone until they EARN your trust over time. And give it time!   Sorry to say but many will want a "piece" of you, just be aware and careful. There are places you do not go at night, find out where they are. ANd you can go almost anywhere safely during the day. 

By the way it is the Dominican Republic not Dominica.... just making sure as that is another island!! LOL

Yes I was also going to say that if you are talking about Dominica you are talking about a different island completely.

Finding great places to stay for 6 months starting this December may be difficult as many places are already booked for the "season".

We live between Sosua and Cabarete and enjoy both towns.  Cabarete beach is lined with restaruants, bars and clubs and the party goes on to the wee hours of the morning on the beach.  A good mix of tourists, Expats and locals.

Sosua has one of the nicest beaches in the area and it too is lines with restaurants and shops. But is does close at dusk,  Town is loaded with restaurants, shops, bars and clubs but a fair amount of "working girls" are also about a portion of town.  They have closed the main street to traffic at night and the restaurants put their tables on the street. Most Friday and Saturday nights you will find live music and lots of folks enjoying themselves.  We love going into town at night. In fact we were in town last night for dinner at one place and then drinks after with friends at another.

Hope this  helps

Bob K

Thanks that is good info .Yes most places are booked for the "Season" but there are any high end condos(for those may not be such huge demand)  in that area. Sosua and Cabarete?  Now we are going to a 5 star hotel for 21 days and Plan to go Down to Sosoua and Cabarete to "Smell the Roses"  ,however we where in Puerto Plata 8 times already but in hotel setting and some "play" outside, but leaving outside 100% it is different then in hotels I assume.What time the main street is closed? Thanks Su

It is totally different to live here - agreed.  Your best bet for higher end condo will be in Cabarete.  Bob - what do you think??

Streets close when the bars do....LOL

OK So when you say higher end what you mean by North- American Standard? And any idea regarding price as certainly approx. Do you advise one to rent a house or condo. Thanks Su

First what 5* hotel are you staying at?  Not aware of any 5* other than maybe (with some stretching) of Casa Colonial.

As to upscale rental in Caberete look at: Ocean Dream, Ocean one, Milinium.  All of these will run you about $1000-1200 a week.  All are very upscale according to US standards.

Bob K

Thanks Bob is 1224 /month ,not/week it seems good location and all included. Su

Prices above are per week. For a month if  you could find one at this point the rate would be $2500  or so.

Bob K

That is a rate for a 2 bedroom.  A 3 bedroom or one right on the ocean you are looking at $4000 or more.

Bob K

Yes but if you rent for more then 31 days they give you a 50% discount. Su