EXPAT BLOG meet up - 27/08 - 9 p.m. - Horizon Lounge at Habtour Grand

After 2 successful meets, to whcih i could not make up, here's proposing Third meet on August 14. It should be fun to meet in open space:
1. Jumeriah Beach
2. Fujiarah Beach - logistics will be problem - but this is very peaceful and can help in building friendship.
3. Or usual hotel / bar in Dubai.

Please share your views. We should up-scale registrations to 25. Come on friends let's make Dubai happening like never before. Let me know if its okay during Eid to indulge in such act, though i think we are decent people and planning to meet only during evening.

Muuuuuch too hot for outdoor activities at these times; you'll have to wait a couple of months for that!

We can then opt for third option - to meet in hotel...or do we have any suggestions...

hi

i would agree, far too hot and humid for outdoors, as the proposed date would fall in ramadan, you could opt for one of the iftaar feasts going on for dinner, then bar after for anyone who wants to carry on. Alternatively just meet in a bar.

I would cerrtainly attend, and let me know if you need any help.

harry

hi all, I missed the last meet since I was away on hols.. wud suggest to arrange the meet on weekends before the start of ramadan :)

It'll be without us ppl! Moved to RAK yesterday! Am waiting for cooler months to start outdoor groups activities in our region!
Cheers

Hi,

lets meet during last week of August either 26th or 27th.
I would certainly attend.

Aww Arlette we will miss u n Christina dearly. 26th/27th wud be during Ramadan is that ok?

Ramzan starts this week on 12th and my suggestion to meet during the last weekend like last month.
we can have the option for one of the iftaar feasts going on for dinner.
Guys your comment on this.

Ooopss forgt Ramadan starts this week.

@FeeAcer often spend weekends in Ras Al Khaimah, I stay close to Al Hamra at one of my friends place there... maybe we can organize a meet-up there too.. Al Hamra Mall  can be a meeting place ;-)

Hi Jazzie,
Keep me posted when you are around and we'll be most happy to meet with you. Send me a PM when you're coming.
Cheers
Arlette

@ the initiator of the August meet-up : you should fix the date and place of this meet-up, else it might be difficult to gather a nice group!

Guys, Please decide on the date and the time, when and where we can meet.

Hi guys,

last meet-up was fun, I am available to meet this week-end if you plan any night out, and if there are enough people joining.

Hi Guys,

Let us decide about the date and the location.
can we meet in the same habtoor Grand / Horizon lounge like last time.

PS

shall we go for the 20th, try to mobilise the wonderful group who attended last time and see where it takes us.

That would give time to organise another a meet up in september as people come back after summer and ramadan.

we should bear in mind that there wont be loud music or dancing during ramadan, also iftaar is a custom and celebration that perhaps we should all experience during our time here, so i would suggest an iftaar feast, perhaps in one of the tents, followed by drinks at a bar for those who must (guess that would mean me!).

Please provide feedback, so we can start to get things organised.

harry, can we meet on 27th as am going to India for a week and will be back by 22nd.

PS

As soon everything is decided I'll change the title guys!
See you later :)

Hello jbvinella, this topic is about Dubai meet-up! You're most welcome I'm sure :)

But if you prefer, you may organize Abu Dhabi Expat.com meet ups on Abu Dhabi's forum as well; I'm sure many people there would be more than happy about it.

Cheers
Arlette

We're arriving on Saturday so will miss this bash....next time hopefully

Oh! super. So all visa problems solved then? Happy for you!

Thanks....the travel approval docs for my ladies arrived a couple of hours ago, finally!

Abu Dhabi here we come :D

ok, we'll make it 27th august

Hi, I'm a new resident in Dubai and would like to meet some of the other inmates. 

Bryan

Hi Bryan, most welcome to Expat.com and Dubai :)
Keep an eye on this thread for further info on the meet up!
Cheers
Arlette

Hi Bryan, Welcome to the expat community and to Dubai. Hope you'll have a great stay and be able to meet friends here.

Hi All, is the meet fixed for 27th Aug @ Habtoor Grand, Horizon Lounge? please confirm so I can inform some of the AUH expats who are interested in joining.... rgds

let s do something until ramadan is finished ?? !! maybe the 2nd week of september ??

hi

haven't checked this for a while, date confirmed as 27th.

will arrange another meet up when ramadan has finished as there will be a lot more people around, it would be good to have a get together before though.

horizon lounge is a possibility, if any one would like to suggest an alternative venue please do so, at this time of year every venue is happy to entertain a sizable group. Regardless of which let's say for sure 27th august at 9pm.

"Woman", sorry i don't know your name, if you could find out how many people will be coming from your group we can start getting together a list of names and numbers.

i will be in dubai for the last couple of days of August...:D

how about a room in a hotel... just do a house party :D

Hey Harry, my name is Raj, I wanna confirm my attendance. I have informed the AUH friends but have only 1 confirmation as yet. If more names come up.. will keep u posted. Thank you..tc

hey everybody....I am about to come to Dubai in a few weeks :d
hope to keep in touch and who knows maybe get to know each other.thank you and take care,
A.

Hi Harry,

In case this meet up on August 27th includes an Iftar, I would very much like to join, because it's all new to me.  I just need to be sure of a comfortable chair and enough space for my leg in a cast (as you should be aware of by now, haha).  And possibility to drop me off right at the entrance (don't know the place).

As you can see on the "How to make friends in Dubai" blog, I suggested to organize regular "wine and dine" activities, but I don't want to interfere with your meet ups.  Maybe we can work together on this, I will need as many venue suggestions as possible.

Just want to mention I'm not ONLY into food :/.  I also like to party :D and am open to all kinds of activities but difficult to join them right now.

Thank you and look forward to your "swift" response,
Marleen

hi marleneke, sorry to hear about your foot, hope it gets better soon. With regards to your wine and dine, it's a good idea, the more activities that can be organised the better.

Iftar is a possibility, although friday is a working day for me.

If you decide to set up an organised group for food and drinks count me in.

maybe we could invest in the entertainer fine dining and family, they have buy 1 get 1 free vouchers for most places in dubai and would help bring down the cost. There are always offers going on in varios places, park hyatt has half price mondays, ibn battuta mall has tuesday offers, it may be an idea to work around these for foodie events.

Harry,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.  If there is no Iftar, I will pass for this one and start actual activities mid September.  No problem.

Meanwhile, I will check out Time Out in Dubai, which I read anyway.   I've seen they mention promotions and happy hours, etc.  I myself am always looking for R&B and oldies nights :happy:.  Did you see their special Ramadan guide and special dining offers? 
What is "entertainment...", is it a magazine? 

So, Harry, I wish you success and fun with the meet up and let's stay in touch.

Marleen

We've finally arrived after a couple of months travelling and I'm interested in events.  Hope the evening is a great success.

However I think I'll give this one a miss and wait for September as we are flying to Lebanon on 28th for a wedding.

Sorry to hear you've already moved on FreeAcer, I'd been looking forward to meeting you.

so when is the date for meeting ???

i had a good time and met some nice people last time. still really new to dubai so i'd like to come again!