Santiago info, pls

Hola,
I'm thinking about moving to Santiago and was wondering what the apartment situation is like there.  I'm in Buenos Aires and inflation is putting the pinch on us here.  I'm starting an internet business and am kind of on a budget.  Basically, I'm budgeted for $1100US a month.  Is this enough to live decently well there?  Can I get a studio or 1 bedroom for 3-400 furnished and in a decent barrio?  I've also heard that houses are sometimes cheaper and easier to rent, which would also suit me fine.  Is this the case?  Any help anyone could give will be much appreciated.  Also any good links to rental sites as well, pls.  Thanks alot.
JS

Welcome jonstreet, and happy new year!

We've got few members in Argentina I'm sure they'll send you some information ;)

I wish you the best of luck in your projects!

Julien

Hola JS, If I read your post correctly you are looking for info to Chile, not Argentina right? Well, we were originally considering both Argentina and Chile but quite honestly , if you are living on Euros or Dollars then even with inflation my understanding is that Argentina will still be cheaper to live.

Try virtualtourist.com to get some people who are living there and also try craigslist for santiago at http://santiago.craigslist.org/

Have you considered Mendoza? I know it's not as cosmopolitan as Santiago but it's pretty reasonable to live there and you can find a really cheap apartment. If you would like some info on rentals there then I can help you. We actually rented a short term apt and it was very cheap. Houses there are also very cheap and you have easy access to internet services. But, it is much more laid back and if you like the city life it's not that. On the flip side if you like outdoor activities and a very green small city then you might like it.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

good luck with that and we're actually moving to B.A. at the beginning of May.

chau
We are a species that needs and wants to understand who we are. Sheep lice do not seem to share this longing, which is one reason why they write so little.
--- Anne Lamott

It is always tricky with names like Santiago. Almost every South American country, every tropical island around have a Santiago.
Here in Dominican Republic it is just "Santiago", but in many other countries it is Santiago de XXXXX, to separate them all.

jonstreet wrote:

Hola,
I'm thinking about moving to Santiago and was wondering what the apartment situation is like there.  I'm in Buenos Aires and inflation is putting the pinch on us here.  I'm starting an internet business and am kind of on a budget.  Basically, I'm budgeted for $1100US a month.  Is this enough to live decently well there?  Can I get a studio or 1 bedroom for 3-400 furnished and in a decent barrio?  I've also heard that houses are sometimes cheaper and easier to rent, which would also suit me fine.  Is this the case?  Any help anyone could give will be much appreciated.  Also any good links to rental sites as well, pls.  Thanks alot.
JS

Hey Jonstreet, try this link at sublet.com for some santiago, chile apartments.

http://www.cityleases.com/spider/LeCity … e=Santiago

Hello Johstreet,

I leave in Santiago since more than 5 years and until next march (after that leaving to go back to Europe).

Live in Santiago can be cheap but can be expensive too.
The thing is that you have different kinds of place.
Chile is the most unfair country in south america.The difference between richs and poors is amazing.
So if you want to find a really cheap place you just have to go to the poor aera. Now I'm not sure you want to leave there.

To be more quantitative, we are 3 (we have a kid), we leave in one of the area where you can find a lot of diplomats, ONU people etc .. not the most expensive area but one with high standard and we can leave with something like 1500 euros by month. We leave in an appartment with 3 bedrooms. As you say house can be cheap BUT you have to be aware that most of the time they are in really bad shape, and you will have really bad surprise, most of the time during winter (really normal to find the living room with water everywhere after a strong rain).

The compagny where I work apply a Cost of Adjustment regarding to Munich. Last year we managed to obain information regarding this rate and this january the rate is +8%. So that means the cost of living is more or less the same than in Germany.
Not really cheap.

You have to take into account that there is really few social services. The public hospitals are not really recommended and the private ones are expensive.
It's the same for school : public ones not really good, private ones expensives.

I don't know exacty what the life in Argentina can look like now but I think Santiago is more expensive.

If you want more information contact me : malvina_b(AT)yahoo.fr (replace AT by @)

Good luck !

My boyfriend and I live on exactly $1,100 a month and we are quite comfortable.

We have a lovely 1 bedroom apartment in Santiago Centro. HereŽs a breakdown so you get an idea:

$140.000 CLP - RENT
$30.000 CLP - BUILDING FEES
$100.000 CLP - GROCERIES
$70.000 CLP - TRANSPORTATION
$40.000 CLP - OTHER BILLS
$120.000 CLP - OTHER (going out, travel, laundry, etc.)

If you want to see more, check out my blog! http://alessandracastillo.net