Living in Buenos Aires as an African American

I am considering moving with my family to Buenos Aires.  I am married to an African American man with two kids.  If someone could shed light on the city's treatment toward African Americans, it would be much appreciated.:)

Welcome on Expat-blog lkgtomove! :)

(I have moved the thread on the Buenos Aires forum, its seems more appropriate).

Good luck
Christine

Hi Lkgtomove, how are you?

I'm from Argentina but have been living in the U.S. most of my life. I've been able to spend time in both countries and in my opinion there will be less discrimination in Argentina on the basis of race.

I think, if anything, Argentine people tend to be curious when they see someone of African descent but only because it's such a rare sight so I would say be prepared to be stared at or asked nosy questions (especially by the less educated). Generally, though, that doesn't mean you are seen as inferior or anything like that (which is what I see as more of a problem in the United States where it's common for people to hold negative beliefs about certain groups).

Of course, there is always the individual with extreme views everywhere, but I feel that in Argentina it's not as pervasive. So I believe that you will have no problems integrating and finding friends, just try not to be upset about people's curiosity because there are just not a lot of Black people there. It would be like being blond somewhere that no one ever sees a White person, it just causes people to be curious. :-)

Good luck!

Hello there. I have been living in Buenos Aires for a year and a half now, so I know a bit but I still have lots to learn.

I am not African American, however I know people here who are. One of my closest friends I have made here is from Haiti. So far, she has never had any bad things happen to her but she sometimes complains about just not fitting in. People do tend to give her a second look on the street, and on a side note when she goes out she gets a lot of guys hitting on her because she looks so different to them, poor girl, she's not at all interested in them but that's another story:)

I agree, Argentines seem more curious to me than actually racist. Of course, there is racism here like in any other.

Well, my boyfriend is from venezuela and he is a sort of mix between black and white. Once in a while I will notice people staring at his afro on the street, but I think it's just because it's an unusual sight for them. :)

I actually think it would be a good thing for the Argentines to meet more African Americans so that they can see that we really are all the same in the end. So I say come and don't worry too much. I can't promise there will be no problems but I think it would be a good experience for everyone.

Yes I would have to agree with both comments. when i first arrived in Argentina last year, I did think of the stares at first as racist, but I was totally wrong. The people here are really curious because it is a rare site for them. It will take a little time to get use to it but you will be fine. Just stay confident in who you are as a person and that will shine past your color. Now I pay it no mined, even with the dumb questions I get from time to time. Just smile it off :)

Hi there everyone.

I am an African living and working in Buenos Aires. I couldn't agree more with the other comments.Ž
I remember when I came here in September 2011 from England. I was so angered by the constant staring. But my colleagues made me to understand that they are curious if anything.

The one thing which I now find funny is the presumption that every black person is African and broke. Most of the times when I am in a taxi, the drivers ask me if I am selling watches on Av 9 de Julio!

Other than that, I think race is not so much an issue here. But you must brace yourself to be looked at. A lot!

The good side is, when you go to restaurants, especially the high end ones, all the attendants want to be your friend. There are quite a few of them who call me by name when I walk in!!

Hi 3kings > thank you for this contribution.
[just to inform that this is a 2 years old thread]

I will be visiting Buenos Aires in Sept.

Hi frazierdw,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

Please note that this discussion is old and dated 2010

You can start a new topic with all your questions on the Buenos Aires Forum please

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team