Looking for advice or opinions about a girlfriend.

Ngatt posted:  :You meant "she is very strong and independent"? Maybe you are right.
Some of Viet men dont want to have a wife who is very strong and independent, make money more than them. They dont feel comfortable with intelligent women."

And sometimes it is not the man who feels threatened. I know one Vietnamese man whose mother sabotaged his wedding plans with a Pharmacist he was in love with because she felt threatened and that the future daughter-in-law would not respect her.

MIA2013 wrote:

Trolling works for me.....I caught some Mahi Mahi and black fin Tuna in Key Largo, FL.  :lol:

I hear you! I miss the Solomon islands. We caught a 100kg black marlin on rod and line last year. Mind you we were sick of eating it by the time we'd had it smoked, roast, steamed, bbq'd, fried, in pies, curried......

Reading all this, i think MIA said it right. And I think the most telling thing in the story is the "yes, no, ok" answers. That happens for two reasons, either her attention was on someone else, or she isnt interested in you. Either way, its not looking good for you.

I dont care about age gaps if at least the minimum age of the younger is high enough to be mature and 20 doesnt cut it. 25 doesnt either. That doesnt mean at 30 years old you still wont get "yes, no, ok" answers but at least the person has reached a certain maturity level that you need.  I know that VN is a young country, i think I heard 22 is the average age, but that doesnt mean 22 is high enough for you or anyone. It depends the person and like MIA said, most asian girls are not very mature for serious relationships, even older ones.

Worse for you is that you havent yet met and that will tell everything. I would cool off about this gal until you can meet. If she really likes you, waiting several months for you to come is no problem.

Last thing, i got from the story that she is talking to lots of people. Each person thinks they are the only one and its not true. From your story I bet she is talking to at least 5 other guys and probably more. Thats not a bad thing, its normal, i bet you talk to others too. But in the end someone is going to settle on choices and that choice may be you and it may not. Thats why dont go crazy about this, keep it light until you can actually meet and go from there. Dont obsess or panic about daily ups and downs. Just work on your plan to travel.

cvco wrote:

Reading all this, i think MIA said it right. And I think the most telling thing in the story is the "yes, no, ok" answers. That happens for two reasons, either her attention was on someone else, or she isnt interested in you. Either way, its not looking good for you.

I dont care about age gaps if at least the minimum age of the younger is high enough to be mature and 20 doesnt cut it. 25 doesnt either. That doesnt mean at 30 years old you still wont get "yes, no, ok" answers but at least the person has reached a certain maturity level that you need.  I know that VN is a young country, i think I heard 22 is the average age, but that doesnt mean 22 is high enough for you or anyone. It depends the person and like MIA said, most asian girls are not very mature for serious relationships, even older ones.

Worse for you is that you havent yet met and that will tell everything. I would cool off about this gal until you can meet. If she really likes you, waiting several months for you to come is no problem.

Last thing, i got from the story that she is talking to lots of people. Each person thinks they are the only one and its not true. From your story I bet she is talking to at least 5 other guys and probably more. Thats not a bad thing, its normal, i bet you talk to others too. But in the end someone is going to settle on choices and that choice may be you and it may not. Thats why dont go crazy about this, keep it light until you can actually meet and go from there. Dont obsess or panic about daily ups and downs. Just work on your plan to travel.

Yep!

And one more thing .... there are plenty of other fish in the sea!

cvco wrote:

I agree with regard to online chatting that the short answers are not good. If she's online with someone she supposed to be interested in, she should take the time to give better replies.  But with local texting on the phone, all bets are off.  The younger generation of girls who have smartphones and text is totally different than those who may only be 10 years or so older.  There are so many distractions these days, even within the phones themselves. Couple that with ESL (with very limited English skills for some) and it's surprising they answer at all!

cvco wrote:

Many westerners make too big a deal of the age gaps.  Totally agree that the limiting factor should be the minimum age of the girl, and again agree that 20 is way too young. Based on my observations here, I'd say 25-30 should be the minimum, and personality (maturity) should be taken into consideration even at that age range.  There are lots of very mature 25 y.o. girls and lots of immature 30 y.o. as well.  Not to mention I've met young girls here who I'm sure are much more mature than I was when I was their age, and some probably more mature than I am now!  A lot of this has to do with the burdens placed on them by their families. I fail to understand why, in a family that has 4, 5, 6 or more siblings, only one of them (the girl in question) is asked to work to support the entire damn family! Meanwhile, an older or younger brother is out drinking and shooting pool all day. Yeah, under those circumstances, a young girl is going to "grow up" very quickly. Very unfortunate....

I agree with you saigonmonkey.

One reason I focused on yes-no-ok is because ive done it myself. And at those moments it occured to me that my interest was fading or gone and i wondered if the other person knew that things werent looking good. Yes-no-ok is a curse, the mark of relationship death. I know that because while, ok sure, one of you can be having a bad day, a headache, whatever, but a lover would take the time to explain that. Thats the difference. I dont write off yes-no-ok to a bad day, i write off the whole thing and let go. Yes-no-ok is often followed by "im sorta busy today, can we talk later?" Thats followed by the persons absence from online when they should be online, and thats followed one of the people becoming extremely annoyed with the other one who appears to be hanging on still. This is all followed by a message received about a year later which says, "hey its been a long time, how you doing?" This happened because one of the people forgot why they dumped the other one and when you start talking again you will soon know why. This is followed by re-dumping that person and kicking yourself for not remembering.

Now go back and read the original long story and you can easily connect the dots.

Online life is strange. Culture to culture, person to person, it all winds up at the same place anyway. The first posters long story shows way too many problems, alot having to do with basic honesty and maturity and its not going to end well. Actual lovers have all sorts of bumpy roads but the problems are real problems, like schedules, where to live, how to marry, differences in religion and foods, etc etc. The original story is a common horror story of normal online life, not actual life.

20 years old is not too young to play online but too young for serious planning. But there are problems at every age stage. Dont think a 50 year old woman is any better. She usually is looking for someone to heal her poisonous pains from previous failures, wretched husband(s), wicked kids. Every age range comes with its own set of problems and hopefully the strength of maturity and love can conquer them. its magic when two people can find each other in all this mess and navigate the maze to a good end. Magic!

hi, you can't wait for her.
just becareful with some women in asia.
they will have chat with the other people, if they serious with you they try to keep touch with you until the time come to meet you.
I can tell, she not focus with you. you will be second men for her.

bawindayak is correct.

lirelou wrote:

And sometimes it is not the man who feels threatened. I know one Vietnamese man whose mother sabotaged his wedding plans with a Pharmacist he was in love with because she felt threatened and that the future daughter-in-law would not respect her.

Yes, you are right :D. In Vietnam, when a woman gets married, she must "get married" with all her husband's relative, siblings, friends... :D, so many people...
I have a friend. When mother-in-law visited her house, she saw her son do some housework to help his wife. She said: when he lived with me, he never do anything, I never let him do anything. Why now...? My friend understood everything her mother-in-law want to say. And after that, she must do everything by herself if she wanted to be happy while her mother-in-law was here :D.
Hihi.

ngattt wrote:
lirelou wrote:

Yes, you are right :D. In Vietnam, when a woman gets married, she must "get married" with all her husband's relative, siblings, friends... :D, so many people...
I have a friend. When mother-in-law visited her house, she saw her son do some housework to help his wife. She said: when he lived with me, he never do anything, I never let him do anything. Why now...? My friend understood everything her mother-in-law want to say. And after that, she must do everything by herself if she wanted to be happy while her mother-in-law was here :D.
Hihi.

This is all sounding pitiful! :(

cvco wrote:

If you know more about Vietnam, you will know many women here are very hard in their life. Especially women in the North, and Central (I dont know exactly this word), hihi. Although they are very hard-working. After work, they must come back their home, do many things. But its not enough with some mother-in-law :D. Some Viet mother will say: he is a man, he cant take care family, he do big things. You are a woman, you must take care children, teach them everything, cook everyday, wake up soon to prepare for children, for you husband... blah blah blah :D...

ngattt wrote:
cvco wrote:

If you know more about Vietnam, you will know many women here are very hard in their life. Especially women in the North, and Central (I dont know exactly this word), hihi. Although they are very hard-working. After work, they must come back their home, do many things. But its not enough with some mother-in-law :D. Some Viet mother will say: he is a man, he cant take care family, he do big things. You are a woman, you must take care children, teach them everything, cook everyday, wake up soon to prepare for children, for you husband... blah blah blah :D...

Yes I do know a small amount. Some years ago I was very close to marrying a Viet woman. But I asked that we live a different life than a normal Viet life. She refused. She wanted the life her parents planned for her which included that we buy a house large enough for all the family to live together and she would take care of the house, and I would take care of the whole family. I didnt want that kind of life, I wanted a simple life for just ourselves, she didnt, and so we broke off.

The second time I was close to marrying another Viet woman, it also turned out badly. She wanted the same as I did but she said I would have to negotiate with her father for payment. She thought if I offered US$40,000 it should be enough to please him. I said I thought we should keep the money to buy a house with and she refused. We broke off.

Yes something is pitiful here!

cvco wrote:

Yes I do know a small amount. Some years ago I was very close to marrying a Viet woman. But I asked that we live a different life than a normal Viet life. She refused. She wanted the life her parents planned for her which included that we buy a house large enough for all the family to live together and she would take care of the house, and I would take care of the whole family. I didnt want that kind of life, I wanted a simple life for just ourselves, she didnt, and so we broke off.

Oh, sorry to hear that.
Maybe you need find a woman, that her family is not too poor, they can live without her help. Or she is not only child. Hihi.
I was born in countryside, and many my friends from countryside, it mean we must be independent when we was 18 years old (go to Hanoi to study in university). Lived far from family, take care youself without helping from family. even not enough money to pay for everything, and we must work (tutor for some pupils, teach Math, Chemistry, English...). I dont see anyone who want to live with big family after marriage. Maybe because we dont come back to home town to work :D. Or maybe our parents dont want to live with us :D.

Omg, I've just read your edited post, hic hic :(. In my life, I never know some story like that. Maybe I have a simple life, just study and work. My parents never ask me about how much money I can earn. After they knew I had a difficult life when I was student. Because I never tell them anything, I dont want to bother my parents :D, tried to be independent. After that, though, I never talked anything to them, but they always tried to support me when I had to study (to get Master degree4 years ago), I must spend much money but cant go to work. That's why I always a simple woman, hic hic :(! Maybe I am so lucky... Thanks God!

Ngattt, (smile)  i like your story and ideas, i understand you. Actually it seems we both had similar experiences growing up, though me across the world and a different time.

A difference between east and west is that word, independence. The western way is that you grow up to about 18-20 years old and get out of the house and go make your life somewhere. Some kids stay at home until they finish college but me, for example, I was gone at 18 never went home again. The usual pattern is leave for school, then secure a job after graduation, then marry, then kids. A western family wants to remain close in hearts but there is no need or pressure to live together. And like you say, the parents would be so happy to finally live apart! :)

In the eastern way, families stay together until the kids marry, and then beyond too. Here in Malaysia, the chinese kids can be 40 years old and still living at home because they havent married yet. My chinese neighbor came to me the other day and asked how to get rid of his 4 sons who refuse to marry and want to stay at home forever to save cost! haha! My my, I cant imagine a life like that. If any girls in the family, they are told to stay home until they marry, even if they are 50 years old. After marriage, the kids are expected to live in a house very near to the parents so they can visit everyday. And of course they are expected to have lots of babies as soon as possible. The main words here is LACK of independence. That lack of independence keeps the children immature, no brains, no minds, no ideas, no thinking, no progress. Even when the kids are grown up the parents are still making all the decisions!

I dont know who is right or wrong but I like my way of independence which doesnt stop me from talking to and seeing my family anyway. I go back 1-2 times a year to USA to work and visit, we write and call when we have the mood. But we have our own lives to live and if I marry i would want to continue in that fashion, even in Vietnam! Just my opinion.

Maybe, like you say, it depends the background of the girl and her parents general attitude. Personally I like countryside girls and people but I also hope she has hopes and dreams beyond the countryside so that there can be growth in thinking and accomplishment in life. And to me, thats one purpose of being a couple in the first place, to help eachother do that.

cvco wrote:
ngattt wrote:
cvco wrote:

The second time I was close to marrying another Viet woman, it also turned out badly. She wanted the same as I did but she said I would have to negotiate with her father for payment. She thought if I offered US$40,000 it should be enough to please him. I said I thought we should keep the money to buy a house with and she refused. We broke off.

Yes something is pitiful here!

Where do you meet these gold diggers? I have been around Vn since 1999 on and off and have yet to come close to your experience. Sure in the past I have met girls who wanted money - and gave them money in exchange for services rendered - a case of "offer and honour", so to speak.

But when I met my wife back in '98 she was a single graduate with a good job and we went out together a few times before realising that, after a year or so, we were getting very close and had shared values and ideas. She took me home and I met her parents. Dad was an NVA Colonel who might have been angry with his daughter for choosing a foreign b/f. He wasn't and he gave us a piece of land on which to build a house. Sadly he died 3 years ago, oddly, a day or so before my own father passed away. Since both of them were retired military officers (albeit from different wars) i hope that they meet now and again in another dimension and reminisce.

Her sister is a business woman, a ferociously hard worker who owns farms and has three kids. Brother ditto but two kids. Mum has visited our place in HCMC several times now and enjoys a glass of my home made wine occasionally, We have had a nephew stay here during the school holidays to brush up his English. A niece may come and stay for a while whilst she attends a university course in HCMC.

I dont want to be patronising at all, but surely if you meet people from a poor background in any country, and dangle the promise of security and freedom from hunger and worry in front of them they will take it. To such unfortunate people you may be seen as low hanging fruit.

Vietnam is an emerging nation now and it is developing at an astonishing rate, but the society has yet to level out in terms of economic wealth within the population, so there are still many places where poverty and hardship prevail. If you choose your g/f from a deprived community, what can you expect but for her to  grasp the lifeline that you apparently offer? And because of the Vietnam family culture - a culture that is, sadly, being lost in the West - your g/f's good fortune in meeting you is automatically shared with her family

It is easy to be seduced by the availability of girls and ladies here, lets face it there are bars full of them. But, with some exceptions, these are not the places to find a life partner.

Choose your g/f more carefully and remember the old English adage: "Marry in haste, repent at leisure!"

cvco wrote:

A difference between east and west is that word, independence. The western way is that you grow up to about 18-20 years old and get out of the house and go make your life somewhere. Some kids stay at home until they finish college but me, for example, I was gone at 18 never went home again. The usual pattern is leave for school, then secure a job after graduation, then marry, then kids. A western family wants to remain close in hearts but there is no need or pressure to live together. And like you say, the parents would be so happy to finally live apart! :)

Hey, in Vietnam we have a proverb: lấy vợ xem tông, lấy chồng xem giống (like father, like son). It means you must consider about her/his family when you want to get married. With woman, you must know about many member of her family, how about their personality... With man, you must know about the health of some members :D, how about their gene... I'm sorry, my English is not good enough to write everything like Vietnamese :D.

My younger sister got married and live near my parents. My parents helps her so much, and she take care them. But my parents want she and her husband must have a own house (3 kms from my parents house in my hometown), they dont want to live with anybody, except their own children :P.

My family was a little poor when I was a child. When I was in secondary school, I never have free time for my friends. I must do housework, because my parents went out to work, I must take care my younger brother and my younger sister, cook lunch for them and cook dinner for all family. I must do manythings in my house. Just work and work, study and study.

When I was a high school pupil, I must do some works of men because my family did business, we had furniture store. I always went there to cook for some workers, and help my father manage everything here. I worked very hard, like a man, because I want to help my father, he always gave me anything I want, hihi :D. Until now, although I live far from my hometown (I live here alone, no relatives), I still help him in his business, and sometimes, he call me: hey, my daughter, I want to give you some money, to buy somethings you want :D (I just want some small things like clothers, shoes... :D). I proud of my family so much.

Althoug my parents is not well-educated. But they taught us carefully. Every members in my family always work so hard. We all have own house after marriage (try all our best to have a house first!). We always help each other. We never interfere too deeply in others life, just giving advice.

I tell you about my family, hope you understand that, a good family is very important. It dominate members' personality  so much, especially in Vietnam.

Ok i have read your confuse and i will spend my time to share with you about Viet Nam girl. I know very clear about that.
Please waiting for me. I will share with as soonest.
Rdsg
Hoa. Dang Xuan

Please dont complain about that because all vietnam girl has awarded charater by the God. All VN girl have to think that " we are very happy".. Thus we can live confortable. Thus is the truth. Who understand they will become happy. who do not understand they will live unhappy.

hoashell wrote:

Please dont complain about that because all vietnam girl has awarded charater by the God. All VN girl have to think that " we are very happy".. Thus we can live confortable. Thus is the truth. Who understand they will become happy. who do not understand they will live unhappy.

That was truly worth the wait, many times over. I feel reborn.  Thank you.

DanFromSF wrote:
hoashell wrote:

That was truly worth the wait, many times over. I feel reborn.  Thank you.

Dan, I really didnt understand what he/she wrote. If you didnt try to make fun, pls explain to me. Thank you!

ngattt wrote:

Dan, I really didnt understand what he/she wrote. If you didnt try to make fun, pls explain to me. Thank you!

I don't think there's anything to explain.  Just let the words wash over you like waves in the sea:

"all vietnam girl has awarded charater by the God. All VN girl have to think that " we are very happy".. Thus we can live confortable." 

I mean.  Like. Wow.  Right?  What else needs to be said?

eodmatt, i agree very much with you. Remember we've been in Asia the same amount of time and I do understand the situation (somewhat!).

First Viet. She wasnt a golddigger, she had a good job and never asked anything from me. But she was an adult still at home and didnt want to leave her family, not even in marriage/kids. I simply refused a life in which I wake up everyday literally facing my mother-in-law! If I remember right that was the only issue.

Second Viet. She and her brother owned a internet cafe in Hanoi. I never got any impression of gold digging. I certainly had the time to find out, I taught her English an hour or more per day, nearly every day, for 10 years straight. It was after that time she suggested the $40,000 marriage payment which I took as a test of my character more than her actually trying to hook the money.  But I took it as a bad sign and bailed out anyway.

Your post has a lot of good info. One thing, ive never known any bar girls and haven never been to any asian bar, not even once.

PS....my condolences to both the fathers.  SInce they were military, i have a little story to tell, i think i'll start a thread called Stories of Viet People so I can tell it.

ngattt, nice explanation from you, thanks for taking the time to tell it. One thing makes me feel bad though, you make me realize there is a fault here because I dont Viet. If I did you could explain what you really feel. But yes i understand.

cvco wrote:

eodmatt, i agree very much with you. Remember we've been in Asia the same amount of time and I do understand the situation (somewhat!).

First Viet. She wasnt a golddigger, she had a good job and never asked anything from me. But she was an adult still at home and didnt want to leave her family, not even in marriage/kids. I simply refused a life in which I wake up everyday literally facing my mother-in-law! If I remember right that was the only issue.

Second Viet. She and her brother owned a internet cafe in Hanoi. I never got any impression of gold digging. I certainly had the time to find out, I taught her English an hour or more per day, nearly every day, for 10 years straight. It was after that time she suggested the $40,000 marriage payment which I took as a test of my character more than her actually trying to hook the money.  But I took it as a bad sign and bailed out anyway.

Your post has a lot of good info. One thing, ive never known any bar girls and haven never been to any asian bar, not even once.

PS....my condolences to both the fathers.  SInce they were military, i have a little story to tell, i think i'll start a thread called Stories of Viet People so I can tell it.

Thanks! Sounds like a plan!

Anyway good luck with the ladies in future, I am sure you will find one to match you!

eodmatt, im planning my trip to Saigon sometime in October. Im looking for an airline deal and also where to stay for 2-4 weeks. Anyway, if you are free to meet at some point it would be great.

cvco wrote:

eodmatt, im planning my trip to Saigon sometime in October. Im looking for an airline deal and also where to stay for 2-4 weeks. Anyway, if you are free to meet at some point it would be great.

cvco, I'd be very pleased to meet up for a beer! Chances are though I will be working overseas, as I work as a consultant engineer. But lets see what happens when you get here. As for accommodation, have a look around the various posts on the Expat.com website as I seem to remember seein rooms, apartments and houses for rent every now and then. And, am sure that someone will read our posts on the subject and add their comments as I think there are a couple of members who are estate agents.

cvco wrote:

ngattt, nice explanation from you, thanks for taking the time to tell it. One thing makes me feel bad though, you make me realize there is a fault here because I dont Viet. If I did you could explain what you really feel. But yes i understand.

:D thank you :D. If I want to explain something by Vietnamese, I wont come here to discuss with you and some expats... I am trying to improve my writing skill :D. I've just tried to write something in English for 3 months. And I really practice to write many things in this forum :D.
I hope I can write what I want in the near future :P

ngattt,
Really only 3 months? Im impressed. Do you think I can express myself in Viet in 3 months? hmmmmm

eodmatt wrote:
cvco wrote:

cvco, I'd be very pleased to meet up for a beer! Chances are though I will be working overseas, as I work as a consultant engineer. But lets see what happens when you get here. As for accommodation, have a look around the various posts on the Expat.com website as I seem to remember seein rooms, apartments and houses for rent every now and then. And, am sure that someone will read our posts on the subject and add their comments as I think there are a couple of members who are estate agents.

Sounds good. I'll let you know when Im closer to coming. My multi-entry visa is for 15 Oct to 15 Jan and Id like to come closest to 15 Oct so that I could come a second time within the 90 days.

Is it probable i could get a good discount from a hotel in District 1 for staying up to a month?

cvco wrote:

ngattt,
Really only 3 months? Im impressed. Do you think I can express myself in Viet in 3 months? hmmmmm

Yes :D. Certainly you cant :P. Because I studied English for many years :D.
2 years ago, I took the Toeic test, and got 680 scores (self-study). But it's very funny because I couldnt write, I couldnt speak :D. Many Vietnamese are like me, because we always study grammar first :D.

3 months ago, there are some English classes for us to improve English in my universty. I studied with 2 foreigners, they talked to me much more than others, but I can't speak well :D. One of them said: Nga, I cant understand why you can get 825 in Toeic test (the last one), but you cant speak well :D. Haizzz, that's why now I am trying to improve all 4 skills :D.

ngattt,
Sometimes people wonder why they should speak English. The answer is that with English you can go anywhere on the planet and do business. English = freedom.

Then again, as Vietnam has French colonial roots, i notice that lots of Viet either already speak French or want to learn. But dont ask me, je ne comprends pas bien francais, Both English and French are great languages to know. My French stops at ou la la! Citroen!

cvco wrote:

ngattt,
Sometimes people wonder why they should speak English. The answer is that with English you can go anywhere on the planet and do business. English = freedom.

Hic hic, I knew that. When I work in my university, I see many foreigners here. Sometimes I saw they lost the way, they needed help, but I am not confident to speak with them :(. I must talk to my colleague help them :(.
I have some holidays until next semester. And now, day by day, morning: listening English, afternoon: listening and pracicing to speak English :D. Evening: listening English :D. And try to write as much as I can. Omg, want to be crazy!
I will die because of English :D.

ngattt,

Whenever I go to Thailand the people, who know some English, are afraid to speak and so they dont. I dont know how this happened, if you know the word, just say it out! (i promise i wont laugh at you ;) )

Cvco, Will you please to help Ngattt to improve her speaking skill when you move to VN !? That would be great  :par:

zanchun wrote:

Cvco, Will you please to help Ngattt to improve her speaking skill when you move to VN !? That would be great  :par:

CAN, CAN.
Only question is, which speaking style would suit her? Linquist? Black rapper? Street thug? Hollywood star? Politician?

zanchun wrote:

Ố ố la la, I really like you[r idea], so so much :P

cvco wrote:

CAN, CAN.
Only question is, which speaking style would suit her? Linquist? Black rapper? Street thug? Hollywood star? Politician?

Funny style :D.

Because if you want to laugh when you hear my voice, you don need to be guilty. Kakakaka.

ngattt wrote:
zanchun wrote:

Ố ố la la, I really like you[r idea] so much :P

cvco wrote:

CAN, CAN.

Funny style :D.

Like a cartoon character? Ok fine! Do you have a favorite?

This blog is becoming addictive! help!

cvco wrote:

Like a cartoon character? Ok fine! Do you have a favorite?

This blog is becoming addictive! help!

Whatever you can make fun :D, and bring happy for others is ok with me. Hihi.
I have many favorite, but I will tell you later. I am sure I need your help :D. But I read some your recent posts, I know you are very busy. So, spend time for yourself to relax. Take care.

I remember a few years ago when I was working for the UN as a contractor in Cambodia, the Khmer head of the deminers went to one of the NGO's based in Phnom Penh and asked for help learning English in advance of a high level diplomatic visit from the USA, UK and France.

Time was short, so whoever was teaching him decided to simply get him to memorise  few useful phrases in English. No time for him to brush up on his French, but he had a smattering of French anyway.

On the day of the visit, he was introduced the the US Ambassador, but his English had been sabotaged by someone with a wicked sense of humour.

Instead of saying "Good morning Ambassador, how are you", he uttered the words "Good morning Ambassador, has somebody f***ted?".

The Ambassador must have had a cold, for he coughed quite a lot after that.

True story.

cvco wrote:
eodmatt wrote:
cvco wrote:

Sounds good. I'll let you know when Im closer to coming. My multi-entry visa is for 15 Oct to 15 Jan and Id like to come closest to 15 Oct so that I could come a second time within the 90 days.

Is it probable i could get a good discount from a hotel in District 1 for staying up to a month?

It will be great to see you when you are here! As for the hotel discount, I have no idea as I have my own place here and never use hotels. But have a look at Trip Advisor and the other internet hotel booking sites, you are sure to get a good deal.