NEED LINKS AND RESOURCES FOR REAL ESTATE IN BRAZIL..

Hello all. I have visited Brazil a lot and want to explore the real estate markets (major metropolitan areas like Sao Paoulo, Florinopolis, Bela, Salvador and of course Rio!) to see what types of homes and apartments are available and their price points. Google searches come up with websites that really offer nothing. If any expats or natives have any links to good sites in the areas i have listed above, i would truly appreciate it. Thanks!

Hi NOLAZACK,

If you're looking to buy, sell or rent properties here in Brazil the two main real estate websites are:

www.lugarcerto.com.br

and

www.bomnegocio.com

You can search by state, city, type of property, number of bedrooms, price range, etc. Most of the properties also include photos so you can see what you're getting.

Of course the sites are in Portuguese so you need to have a basic understanding of the language to get the full benefit.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Thanks so much! I really would like to find something in Rio or Salvador. What is your advice? I would really like to find a fixxer up as I have done a few of those projects here in the states. i am not opposed to certain Favelas, if pacified. I really do value your opinion. Thanks in advance!!

Trust me, there is no way you'd want to live in any favela in Brazil. No matter what this government may tell the public they're still overrun by crime and are totally unsafe. Considering that the American dollar is twice the value of the Brazilian real you'll be able to afford something far from the favela. Your life isn't worth trying to save a few bucks.

Regarding safety, it's hard to say where you'd be safer, both Rio and Salvador are pretty bad. I'd suggest someplace other than one of the state capitals anywhere. If you want to live in Rio de Janeiro state Rio das Ostras, Buzios and Macaé are fairly good choices.

In Bahia I'd look at cities like Alcobaça, Santa Cruz de Cabrália, Arraial d'Ajuda or Trancoso (near Porto Seguro) or Ilhéus.

These cities are much smaller and more laid-back, but you're going to sacrifice the convenience of big cities for this. Safety is worth the sacrifice in my opinion. You're also going to find real estated prices significantly lower in smaller cities as well. Right now it really doesn't pay to purchase at the inflated prices in state capitals.

Cheers,

Seriously ? Investing in favela where property do not have any existing official existence? Do you know that even modern/top of the range property are very often rigged by incorrect paper work. Properties are sold very quickly to foreigner then when it is time to sell, you cannot because paper work is incomplete and you will need to go court to obtain/force building company to complete administration work. You will obtain proper documentation after fighting in court and then 5-10 years later, you will obtain full documentation... or never.
For example, property built on the front sea (orla maritima) are very often illegal (even R$1-2 millons properties) because coast is generally "protected" zone (even in cities where it is already built). Indeed, building companies do not to wait to obtain all authorisations to start construct. No problem to buy these properties but these are difficult to sell...except to other foreigners...oh just one shows up from ATL/NYC ;-)
If you want to invest here, you need to come and live here to understand the how/to. And don't use intermediate, this would be way to lose your money.  There is no quick buck. You just risk to loose all your money.

Thanks so much for the info. I usually only frequent the larger citries, which is my American fault I guess being from New Orleans and living in NYC currently. I do know how to navigate the streets but do agree with you that caution is key. I will actually look into those other places that you recommended. Thanks. I dont mind being a bit out as long as I have decent access to the city as i am a city dweller. I will investigate those realestate links and look for the areas you just suggested.

Preciate it Bardamu. Thats why I asked the question. I actually invest in realestate here in the US, and though it may be different there, I would take every precaution necessary. But all this info is good. BTW, I know from talking to some people in the Favelas the times I have stayed there that most of the apartments are built by the residents and not really "deeded" Some of it is, but most are not from my understanding. Thats why most people dont have utilities such as water/sewerage and electricity no?

Thanks

That's one of the reasons they don't have utilities, but not the only one. The real problem with the favelas is that first of all the construction doesn't meet any safety standards at all (not that much does in Brazil anyway). Also, the fact that the properties do not have the proper documentation and permits, it becomes difficult to sell them once built because you must either the seller must carry the financing himself through a series of promissory notes or the buyer must have sufficient funds to pay cash, because bank here will not finance unregistered properties. In most cases once built the home remains occupied by the famlly from that point on.

Cheers,

Actually they certainly do not have all utilities like water and sewage in the favelas but they do have electricity and cable TV. Quite easy to fork an utility network and throw a few cables (just be carreful to not step on it...). And indeed this is good income for gangs. Fight for the control of favelas is not only for drug trade but for the ownership of the whole economy of the favelas.

i always find amuzing how "gringos" fins favelas appeling and/or a good ground to acquire/flip real estate...

Hi Paulo,

I think that is basically because they have the funds to purchase some of these properties in a cash transaction and act as "financers" for those they eventually sell the property to. This is because traditional financing is not available to those who buy unregistered/undeeded property.

While there's always a great risk that the buyer doesn't pay the monthly installments the properties can always be reclaimed, they can sell for whatever they want to charge and because they are financing the purchase stand to make big profits on the back of someone who has no other choices, sad to say.

Cheers,

hi William James Woodward

you know that in Greece, the unregistered/undeeded property issue is a BIG problem ? So many Americans have been ripped off there due to the fact there is no writen deeds, and with 2 whitness they proceed with a repossession procedure of the land and the house the american built over there
I would say there isnt legal safety nor jurisdiction to appeal in case of problem, and in some cases gringos are throwing money through the window.
The other day i even saw a Portuguese [ from Portugal] fellow on TV claiming about a bed & breadfast he developed in a slum "pacificada" that was erradicated for a road and acess. No ground for compensation...
Its not really a scandal, its just stupid.