Potential move to Bahrain

Read some comments about people moving to Bahrain this year, which are quite sanguine.

However I keep reading about the continued levels of tension, violence and potential terror attacks. The FCO website discourages moving there or suggests extreme caution, a view echoed by other government websites.

I lived overseas in several countries but the situation in Bahrain reads far from ideal or have I completely misunderstood the situation?

Grateful for any views.

Thanks

Hello Bhoy, and welcome to the forum!  I'm just marking my 1-year anniversary of living here on our tiny desert island, and I've enjoyed it.  Yes, there are tensions and there is unrest.  But, it's not targeting expats, and generally, the most disruption we've experienced are travel delays.  For us, the benefits far outweigh the inconveniences.  Again, welcome to the forum!

DebbieT11 wrote:

Hello Bhoy, and welcome to the forum!  I'm just marking my 1-year anniversary of living here on our tiny desert island, and I've enjoyed it.  Yes, there are tensions and there is unrest.  But, it's not targeting expats, and generally, the most disruption we've experienced are travel delays.  For us, the benefits far outweigh the inconveniences.  Again, welcome to the forum!

Couldn't have said it better myself - you have to remember "Not to believe everything you read/hear in the press" They exaggerate to get readers which doesn't help the situation here.

Thing have escalated here and there are still troubles and tensions but we are all fine and you will be too. Big decision to make though so become as informed as you can before you decide.

That's right. The tension is there, but as long as you stay away from the known hot spots, life is pretty normal!  Nowhere is 100% safe and life is unpredictable, but for us, the pluses of life in Bahrain outweigh the negatives!

I am about to complete my second year in Bahrain and I am not thinking of going back to the UK at all. Yes, there are some unrests and protests but they are in localised areas (you will know all about them when you get here) and, as mentioned above, they are not targeting expats. Nowhere in the world is perfectly safe and each country has its own problems. So does Bahrain. But as you become a resident here, you get to know how to avoid them, just like you do in your home country.

I'll do my best to help you when you get here and introduce you to my friends. I am sure many others will do the same happily.

Compared to so many other places in the world, living and working in Bahrain is fairly safe and easy. I agree with all the previous responses. And yes, happy to help you out with settling down if you decide to make Bahrain your home.