Where to live in Bahrain

Hi,

I have been reading as much information as possible, including the comprehensive guide on relocating to Bahrain - which has been very helpful.

I am considering a move for myself, my wife (both early 30's) and our daughter (2.5 yrs), I would be working in Saudi and using the bridge each day to commute.

I would be using a VIP permit on the causeway, does this actually make a difference to journey times?

We would prefer the schools in Saar and given the close proximity to the causeway it seems the logical choice, however there are mixed reviews around the internet about the protests and tyre-burning you get 'out in the sticks'.

At this stage I am unsure on the living expenses provided for us, but believe it would be IRO 1000-1500 BD per month, we want to live in a (modern) villa with a minimum of 3 bedrooms - we enjoy a mixture of city living and quiet family time too.

I have looked at the recommended property sites and can see some very appealing private villas and also compound villas - but I don't know exactly the benefits of living in a compound and if this is essential.  My wife will be at home on her own during weekdays and we will need to be assured that she is safe - is a compound essential for this?

Also, in addition to Saar the area of Seef and Karbabad appear to be very nice, does this add an unrealistic time to my daily commute? 

I appreciate that preferences on location are very personal, but any guidance on specific areas to live would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I've only been here since August with my husband and 2 kids aged 17 and 10 .
We live in Saar which is only 5/10 mins to causeway and my husband commutes to Saudi every day. The commute can be frustrating but if your lucky to have VIP pass it's a bonus . Seef /karbadad is another 5/10 mins onto your journey but don't think there are many compounds in this area . In karbadad there does seem to be a lot of police presence on the outskirts of it so maybe stay clear of this area . Seef area is where both major malls are and they have great shops along with eating places. Manama is only 5 minutes drive from Seef and Juffair and Adliya a further 10 minutes drive from Manama  is really where the nightlife is with numerous beautiful restaurants and bars.
We live in a compound villa and I don't work also and safety is not an issue whatsoever. I would say a compound is a good choice if you are new to the area My youngest can play outside and can go to play park on her own and I have no worries at all  about her being unsafe . 1000 - 1500 bd will get you exactly what your looking for , there is so much to choose from . As for protests and tyre burning if u join uk embassy on Facebook they let you know where and when protests are happening and it's  just a matter of avoiding the area . We did get caught up once in the demonstration but sat in car for over 1 hour in traffic congestion  and were surrounded by people walking by but didn't feel threatened at all . Tyre burning only saw it twice happening but you just about turn and go other way ! My kids think its exciting !! Hope this info helps .
Good luck

There are only a few villas around Seef but you can get 3-4-5 bedroom apartments. Saar is a logical choice for commuting but Seef is not far from Saar. Everywhere is close in Bahrain so where you live really doesn't matter much. There are certain areas within Saar you should avoid but not all of Saar is unsafe. Seef is safe but there aren't many areas for your kid to play outside. And VIP lane on the causeway will certainly, absolutely, 100% help.

Wow you got a VIP pass - you must be VERY important indeed - those are like gold dust these days :)

Look at Saar (some areas), Hamala and Janabiya.  Believe me (or Mr Scottrace) if you have ended up on the causeway for hours (and sometimes a VIP Pass doesnt help if the system goes down) the last thing you want is an extra 15-20 minutes in Bahrain.  And these area's are much better for the school run - having spent an hour getting to school this morning just from Janabiya for some unknown reason, I wouldn't have wanted to be living any further away.

We have done both compound and individual villa - there are pro's and con's for both.  On a compound you have other families and maintenance on site and you may feel safer but in a private villa you get more for your money and dont have to put up with some of those families you cant get away from ;) 

Just research, research, research and as I have said before dont necessarily believe the Agents - if its cheap there will be a reason - speak to other residents about maintenance and safety - other residents will tell the truth.  Or ask us here - most of us now know most of the compounds in the area and can give you the lowdown.  Pretty much most people I know have been "stung" or regret our first places.

Thank you all for your very helpful replies.

At this stage I have 'insisted' on a VIP pass as part of the package, so sounds like I may be lucky to get one- but will keep fingers crossed.
I have read that the causeway becomes incredibly congested straight after morning prayers - is this around 07:00?  Can you cross during morning prayers or does it close down?

I feel very reassured by comments from Jacqayr71 about your youngest playing outside within the compound, it's so easy to get caught up on what you see in the news - just have to put it in perspective by imagining the impression you'd get of the UK from news alone.

Both my wife and I find the strong expat community spirit very appealing and the comments I have read reinforce our original instinct to find a good compound; at least for the first year.  If we go ahead with the move then in 3-6 months I'll take Scottrace up on the offer of guidance on specific compounds.

Cheers

Hi, the VIP pass now costs in the region of BD2,000 a year and can mean the crossing is stress free and only 10 - 15mins. I have known people stuck for hours (and I mean hours)

Saar, Janabiya, Jasra and Hamala are all lovely area's, there are a couple of "Black Spots" but you can spot those a mile off.. Grafitti on the walls, burnt bins, black and burnt tarmac. The area's are secluded and there is no real reason to go anywhere near them once you know the short cuts and back roads.

I would suggest the Saar, Janabiya side for going to the causeway as the Hamala/Jasra side gets very congested due to British School being there. There are numerous ways to get to the causeway from Saar but only really one way from Hamala

Your budget is excellent, so big grins on that one. I wouldn't head for Seef, Juffair, Adliya as you won't really get a nice place with a garden for the money

In Saar you also have the expat clubs (well 2 of them) The Dilmun Club and The Rugby Club. Dilmun is better for families.

We lived in a compound for our first year and it was hell. Noisy neighbours. Neighbours leaving the gates open,. Always somebody there (we love our peace and quiet) but we took a compound because we were new to Bahrain

We now live in a private villa within a gated community, so we have our own gardens and own pool, just a shared driveway and it is much better. I would still prefer a private villa though.

Kids play very safely here, there is a bigger risk to your pet (getting stolen to be sold) than there is to your child so relax, you will be fine. Only plus side for a compound is that your wife will make friends quicker and get a part time maid from next door in about 15 minutes.

Your budget is excellent, so big grins on that one. I wouldn't head for Seef, Juffair, Adliya as you won't really get a nice place with a garden for the money.

I work in the relocation industry so if you have any other questions that you can post on here or PM me.

Good luck with your move, you really are making a good decision

Hi,
Thanks for this.  My wife and I will continue to do our research around the internet and if we do move we'll take you up on your kind offers for advice on locations.

Thanks everyone.

Don't rely too much on the internet and news because as you already know it is totally false.

Come to us with questions and we will answer you honestly from our personal experiences in Bahrain. All our experiences differ slightly so you will (as you have seen) get a good mix of responses.

I think Saar and janabiya is best choise and it's close to the causeway. Buying general Bahrain is small island and reach everywhere within 10 to 15 minutes. From security point of view, Compound is more safe and secure. Tire burning and setting fires is not everywhere and areas can be avoided. Also the causeway is open 7/24 and for pray time it's not efecting the passage. If you insist on VIP. It will help you a lot to reach on time without suffering. Although the causeway is not rush during early morning. The rush starts from 11:00 AM and varies depend on weekends and holidays and nights it's I rush. These all depends on your working hours. But really fight for VIP   Best wishes and any think you want from Bahrain we all ready to help.